You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2016 4:30 am  #1

Anticipating Tears and Heartbreak

So, here's something I wonder. Do any of the dacryphiliacs out there hate crying themselves?

I ask because in just over a week, and dear and close friend of mine is returning to their home country for an indefinite period, and I know that it will be agonizing to say goodbye. I haven't cried since April, and even then I never got past wet eyes. I haven't seriously cried with running tears and sobbing in over three years. But ever time I think about this, I begin to feel misty, and I'm seriously dreading it. The wet eyes, the runny nose, the heart anguish....anyone else feel this way? 

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

August 21, 2016 5:13 am  #2

Re: Anticipating Tears and Heartbreak

Sometimes I do feel that way.  However, I also find it to be the case that the anticipation of an event tends to be much worse than the actual event. 

August 21, 2016 5:51 am  #3

I absolutely LOATHE crying, especially in front of others. I hold it in as long as I can - and deny that anything is wrong - until I simply can't hold it any more and then I lock myself in a room and let go, hating myself all the while.

What's weird is that my big crying fetish involves comforting others - but I just can't STAND it when anyone tries to comfort me! Not only am I uncomfortable, but I also get angry with the other person - HOW DARE THEY intrude on my privacy that way?!!

This may be partly due to the fact that, as I get older, I find myself getting more misanthropic day by day. I really don't like "people" much, and, if I had my druthers, I'd live with minimal human contact (preferably none). This may also be due to the fact my job entails dealing with the public, talking to them on the phone and bearing the brunt of the ignorance and entitlement that it seems are becoming more pandemic every day.

Yes, at the moment I'm in a very foul humor. I don't know whether I want to smash every piece of glassware in the place, or drug myself into a stupor with an extra dose of Xanix so I can sleep it off.
Never waking up also seems lovely.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

August 21, 2016 1:28 pm  #4

caircair wrote:

I absolutely LOATHE crying, especially in front of others. I hold it in as long as I can - and deny that anything is wrong - until I simply can't hold it any more and then I lock myself in a room and let go, hating myself all the while.

What's weird is that my big crying fetish involves comforting others - but I just can't STAND it when anyone tries to comfort me! Not only am I uncomfortable, but I also get angry with the other person - HOW DARE THEY intrude on my privacy that way?!!

This may be partly due to the fact that, as I get older, I find myself getting more misanthropic day by day. I really don't like "people" much, and, if I had my druthers, I'd live with minimal human contact (preferably none). This may also be due to the fact my job entails dealing with the public, talking to them on the phone and bearing the brunt of the ignorance and entitlement that it seems are becoming more pandemic every day.

Yes, at the moment I'm in a very foul humor. I don't know whether I want to smash every piece of glassware in the place, or drug myself into a stupor with an extra dose of Xanix so I can sleep it off.

I share similar feelings about crying. Or being comforted by anyone for anything. The only exception is my wife, of course. I've never cried in front of my wife, but there are times when I've raved and ranted. After letting off steam, I generally let her hug my head to her chest and it does feel comforting.

My wife herself hates being comforted while crying. Though she also let's me comfort her after an angry tantrum.

Avoid breaking the glassware, though. They're just innocent bystanders.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

August 21, 2016 8:31 pm  #5

caircair wrote:

I can relate to this up to a point, as I'm someone who tends to develop very strong feelings about people.  I'm rarely neutral about them:  I either like them very much, or I strongly dislike them.  I'm also one of those people who can tell within the first couple minutes of meeting a new person whether I like that person or not, and who can sense it if there's something "off" or "not quite right" (i.e. dishonest or sociopathic) about someone else.

As I also hate entitlement and crass, vulgar speech and behavior, I think I understand the feelings that prompted your rant.  On the other hand, I truly hope you're only exaggerating with the "never waking up" part.

August 22, 2016 1:15 am  #6

caircair wrote:

This in the quotes very much applies to me as well. I'm not naturally much of a crier and I've gotten good at fighting it when necessary.

Knowing there was something emotional in the future, especially if in an inescapable public setting, would bring me a lot of anxiety on how I was going to avoid crying.

Last edited by Ella (August 22, 2016 1:17 am)

August 22, 2016 1:47 am  #7

Ella wrote:

caircair wrote:

This in the quotes very much applies to me as well. I'm not naturally much of a crier and I've gotten good at fighting it when necessary.

Knowing there was something emotional in the future, especially if in an inescapable public setting, would bring me a lot of anxiety on how I was going to avoid crying.

I feel sort of similar. It's not even necessarily the visibility of the setting, just that I'm dreading the oncoming ache and know that crying will make me feel worse rather than better. Though some of the women on here might enjoy seeing a big, burly, bearded lumber-jack looking guy like me dissolving into a teary mess, I'll just be feeling horrible. 

And to echo what was said above, I'm sorry for your troubles, Caircair, and I hope you won't do anything drastic with regards to "never waking up."

Last edited by NeedHerSobs (August 22, 2016 1:47 am)

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

August 22, 2016 7:34 pm  #8

When I was younger, I tended to dread emotional situations for the opposite reason.  When my friends and I went to a sad movie together, or our sports team lost, or we said goodbye on the last day of school or camp, I always felt weird about being the only person who didn't cry.  To some extent I think that my dacryphilia stems from a fascination with or admiration for people who have a freer, more natural relationship with their emotions than I do.     

While the act of crying doesn't bother me so much in and of itself, I dislike being comforted.  When I'm upset, I find physical affection overwhelming and I prefer people to just ignore me or try to cheer me up.  My husband, who seems to instinctively realize this, is the only person I don't mind seeing me cry. (I'm also one of those people who hates being taken care of when they're sick.)

@Caircair: I definitely identify with a lot of what you've said.  I'm not much of a people person either, and I know how draining it can be to deal with rude, thoughtless behavior on a daily basis.  I hope very much that things improve.    

Last edited by Tristana (August 22, 2016 7:52 pm)

August 23, 2016 3:11 am  #9

Wow.  I identify with a few of you right now.  I too am probably going to be saying goodbye to one of the few friends I have tomorrow, seeing her in a restaurant and dreading that I may start crying.  Don't mind crying on my own, but feel stupid doing it in front of other people.  
Like caircair, I don't like most people very much and like White Tulip I form strong opinions on people, positive and negative, pretty quickly.  At work I finally found a person who I relate to and get along with really well (even suspected she might relate to my dacryphlia) and has become something of a friend, and I believe she's meeting me tomorrow to tell me she's not coming back.  I'm tearing up just thinking about it.  I'm surprised at how strongly this is affecting me.  Grrrr.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

August 24, 2016 4:23 am  #10

Squonk wrote:

Wow.  I identify with a few of you right now.  I too am probably going to be saying goodbye to one of the few friends I have tomorrow, seeing her in a restaurant and dreading that I may start crying.  Don't mind crying on my own, but feel stupid doing it in front of other people.  
Like caircair, I don't like most people very much and like White Tulip I form strong opinions on people, positive and negative, pretty quickly.  At work I finally found a person who I relate to and get along with really well (even suspected she might relate to my dacryphlia) and has become something of a friend, and I believe she's meeting me tomorrow to tell me she's not coming back.  I'm tearing up just thinking about it.  I'm surprised at how strongly this is affecting me.  Grrrr.  

I'm sorry about the situation with your friend at work; it can be very hard when someone we like is no longer there.  But surely you can associate with her outside of your job (arrange a get-together or talk to her on the phone)?  I must admit that the opposite situation is happening to me:  I found out today that a female co-worker I never could stand has taken a job somewhere else!  To say I'm relieved is an understatement.  I only hope the person who replaces her will be nice.   

Last edited by White Tulip (August 24, 2016 4:23 am)

Board footera