You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2016 4:51 am  #1

Interview with Ralph and Joseph Fiennes

A recently published, touchingly candid interview involving three members of the talented Fiennes family -- Sophie, Joseph, and Ralph -- talking about their deceased mother, who was a novelist.  Is it my imagination, or are there several almost-tearful moments from all three siblings?  Watch and judge for yourself:

Last edited by White Tulip (September 7, 2016 4:53 am)

September 9, 2016 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Interview with Ralph and Joseph Fiennes

Very nice, White Tulip. It's interesting to see the two brothers together.  While you'd definitely guess they were related, I find that they look less alike than I would have thought.  

This video was filmed the same year that my favorite (probably) Ralph Fiennes movie -- The End of the Affair -- was released.  It's funny how he seems so reluctant to look up at the camera during interviews.

I've only had the chance to watch the video on my phone, so it was tougher for me to read their faces. Were there any emotional moments that particularly stood out for you? 

September 9, 2016 4:41 pm  #3

Tristana wrote:

Very nice, White Tulip. It's interesting to see the two brothers together.  While you'd definitely guess they were related, I find that they look less alike than I would have thought.  

This video was filmed the same year that my favorite (probably) Ralph Fiennes movie -- The End of the Affair -- was released.  It's funny how he seems so reluctant to look up at the camera during interviews.

I've only had the chance to watch the video on my phone, so it was tougher for me to read their faces. Were there any emotional moments that particularly stood out for you? 

At the end of the video as they're signing off, Joseph looks very moved, like he was just barely holding back tears.  And there's a sequence late in the video -- it starts at 15:30 or so -- when Ralph is talking and sounds upset; actually, it looks as though something (a sob, perhaps?) was edited out at one point.  Sophie looks moved throughout but holds it together well.

Joseph and Ralph, I find, look most similar when they turn profile; they both have long faces.  I'd agree that their coloring isn't much alike:  Ralph is a blond with blue-green eyes, while Joseph has hazel eyes and brown hair.  Actually, Joseph looks more like Sophie than like Ralph.  As for Ralph not looking much at the camera, he's supposedly very shy and nervous and by his own admission has a hard time making eye contact with people.  I find that interesting for an actor.

Besides the near-tearful moments, what I find most appealing about this video is the fact that the siblings seem to get along well.  So many big families (there are six Fiennes siblings in all) fight a lot and compete with each other, but it looks like that's not the case with this family.  I'm sure they were able to comfort each other in the wake of their mother's untimely death.   

Last edited by White Tulip (September 10, 2016 4:04 am)

September 27, 2016 5:59 pm  #4

Hi, White Tulip! I finally had the chance to take another look at the video -- on my laptop this time.

I noticed a nice detail around 2:43 -- when Ralph initially mentions his mother's illness the corners of his mouth quiver a little bit.

I definitely agree that Joseph looks very moved and near tears after the completion of Ralph's reading.  I also agree that Ralph gets particularly emotional whenever he talks about his mother's life; especially her repressive childhood, which is interesting. I couldn't tell whether anything was edited out of that last sequence -- the dialogue seems pretty continuous across the cuts -- but it's certainly possible.

September 27, 2016 6:46 pm  #5

Tristana, come to think of it I did notice the moment at 2:43.  Thanks for the reminder. 

I have two other anecdotes to share concerning the Fiennes brothers.  One was told to me by a lady on another website who was lucky enough to meet Joseph Fiennes in London in 2006.  This was a year or so after the death of Mark Fiennes, their father, and the lady recalled how Joseph got "a little teary eyed in a very sweet way" when she offered her condolences.  The other anecdote concerns Ralph being interviewed about Schindler's List.  He said that after filming the movie, or a particular scene in the movie, he went out walking in a field that used to be a killing field (this was, of course, in Poland).  Suddenly, he noticed some children playing soccer on the field, and somehow the sight moved him so much that he broke down in tears then and there.  Watching the video above I can easily believe that both stories are true.

September 27, 2016 7:32 pm  #6

White Tulip wrote:

One was told to me by a lady on another website who was lucky enough to meet Joseph Fiennes in London in 2006.  This was a year or so after the death of Mark Fiennes, their father, and the lady recalled how Joseph got "a little teary eyed in a very sweet way" when she offered her condolences.

Very nice. It's a shame she didn't hug him.  I'm sure I wouldn't have had the courage, but I imagine it would have been delightful!  

White Tulip wrote:

The other anecdote concerns Ralph being interviewed about Schindler's List.  He said that after filming the movie, or a particular scene in the movie, he went out walking in a field that used to be a killing field (this was, of course, in Poland).  Suddenly, he noticed some children playing soccer on the field, and somehow the sight moved him so much that he broke down in tears then and there.  Watching the video above I can easily believe that both stories are true.

I'd be interested in reading that interview if you come across a link; I love articles where actors talk about crying! 

September 27, 2016 9:31 pm  #7

Tristana wrote:

White Tulip wrote:

One was told to me by a lady on another website who was lucky enough to meet Joseph Fiennes in London in 2006.  This was a year or so after the death of Mark Fiennes, their father, and the lady recalled how Joseph got "a little teary eyed in a very sweet way" when she offered her condolences.

Very nice. It's a shame she didn't hug him.  I'm sure I wouldn't have had the courage, but I imagine it would have been delightful!  

White Tulip wrote:

The other anecdote concerns Ralph being interviewed about Schindler's List.  He said that after filming the movie, or a particular scene in the movie, he went out walking in a field that used to be a killing field (this was, of course, in Poland).  Suddenly, he noticed some children playing soccer on the field, and somehow the sight moved him so much that he broke down in tears then and there.  Watching the video above I can easily believe that both stories are true.

I'd be interested in reading that interview if you come across a link; I love articles where actors talk about crying! 

Provided he was upset enough, I'm sure a hug would have been most welcome by J. Fiennes.

That Ralph story was summarized for me by someone I was talking to online; I can't find the video for it, and neither could the  person I was talking to.  But you might be interested in this video of an interview Ralph gave in 1994 about his role in Schindler's List.  He looks adorable in the video and gives such thoughtful replies.  You can tell he's so not Amon Goeth in real life:

Board footera