You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2016 5:57 pm  #1

Times you *should* have cried but didnt

For those who are like me (have dacryphilia but dislike myself crying) what are some times you almost cried/should have cried/would have been expected to cry/wanted to cry and fought it, or were unable to,  etc? 

For me, a few come to mind immediately,  even starting very young.

-when I was 9 I hit my head on a piece of metal hard enough that it started bleeding and I just sat down and held my hand on it, not even compelled to cry

-as a kid (under 10 I'm guessing ) when I was told my mom had passed out after a surgery and had to be taken back to the hospital  (scary sounding news, I fought it)

-getting fired (fought )

October 18, 2016 6:02 pm  #2

Re: Times you *should* have cried but didnt

Basically the deaths of both of my grandfathers. Didn't compel me to cry, though I did feel sadness.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

October 18, 2016 6:24 pm  #3

TorNorth wrote:

Basically the deaths of both of my grandfathers. Didn't compel me to cry, though I did feel sadness.

Similarly, I can't remember crying when any of my grandparents died.  I think it was because they were very old and, in the case of my father's father, I wasn't really very close to him (he was a hard man to get to know). 

Also, September 11, 2001:   I was 24 years old when it occurred, and though I  screamed when I saw the towers collapse on television and remember feeling very sad, I didn't actually cry about it until years later -- while I was on Youtube looking at photos of people in other countries leaving flowers and lighting candles in memory of the victims, and watching a video of people in the UK singing the US National Anthem and observing moments of silence.  Seeing all of that touched me so much, I cried.  In general, I do tend to cry more at "touching" (sad/happy) things than at outright tragic things.  I wonder if anyone here can relate to this.

Last edited by White Tulip (October 18, 2016 6:26 pm)

October 18, 2016 7:04 pm  #4

Didn't cry at funerals - neither grandmother, grandfather, or father. I tend to cry after the fact or when alone.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

October 19, 2016 2:59 am  #5

Never cried over anyone's death, friend or family. It just doesn't affect me that way.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

October 19, 2016 2:27 pm  #6

Its interesting, i remember the time as a kid when my cousin was telling me the bad news about my mom,  I was scared for the situation  and fighting crying, and looking away from her so she would hopefully not notice.  As concerned as I was about my mom, my equal concern was not letting anyone know I was trying not to cry.  Looking back it's so weird to me  now that I was like that even then.

May 8, 2017 11:10 pm  #7

Gosh...I can't remember any times when I was supposed to cry but couldn't or didn't. My dad died when I was 9 and I cried. My grandpa, who stepped up as a fill-in dad as much he could, died when I was 18 (2 years ago), and I was a complete waterfall of tears. I can remember more times when I cried when I probably shouldn't have, than the other way around.

May 9, 2017 1:17 am  #8

I prefer to do my crying in private. So before my mom's and my dad's memorial services, I took half a Xanax to keep on an even keel. No tears during either service - and since I sang at each one, I didn't dare get weepy anyway. I did (and on occasion, still do) my crying for them alone at home.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

Board footera