You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2017 3:56 pm  #11

Re: do you tear up?

I tear up unexpectedly too, like at things I've seen before, videos or movies.  I always love it when that happens because I don't cry easily either, and I worked hard for years to be strong and not break down all the time. Well it comes from being bullied and shamed as a little girl because I cried at the drop of a pin then. Nowadays I'm stronger, but I don't always want to be.  Still...I don't force the tears, but when they come I am grateful for them.
meantangerine,  I love your story about warcrafts talking to each other. What really got me was this war story about WWII I think...when a German soldier on Christmas Eve suddenly stood up and started singing  Silent Night.  The American soldiers also joined in and then everyone was singing it, German and American. Just one brief moment when everyone acknowledged Christmas and the Savior being born, etc. I'm not religious but I love Christmas. It's so heartwarming and often tears will come at certain Christmas songs.  "Snoopy's Christmas," from Peanuts(I think the Royal Guardsmen were the band that sang that song) reminds me of that story about the German soldier singing Silent Night.  Anyway, those situations will always turn on the faucets for me!!!! :D

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long." --Johnny Depp
"Cry to me...let it come, let it bleed...reach in and get it, and set it free." --Heart

May 18, 2017 12:28 am  #12

La Llorona, what is it about oldtimey war stories??? It's not like I have family in the military or anything, zero personal connection to war, super-lefty politically... can't explain it. 

As I get older I find myself a lot more susceptible to heartwarming stuff (and it's not even that I'm old, I'm 26), but I listen to this podcast that's just people telling stories about their lives and I tear up at that not uncommonly, and I teared up at the finale of the Great British Baking Show because the winner "has her whole family there with her!" and every time it just startles me because I'm not used to reacting that way. 

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

May 18, 2017 12:48 am  #13

I feel ya, meantangerine!  I'm super lefty too lol but I love stories about the humanity of those who have to go to fight wars.  I'm 50 so I grew up when the Vietnam war was still going on.  It ended when I was about 8.  My parents were total hippie folks and I love them for it.  My dad was in the Army but fortunately it was the "reserves," whatever that means.  But that made him exempt from having to go fight in the war. Thank goodness!  But I always felt bad and teared up a lot when hearing how when the Vietnam war soldiers came back to USA, they were not greeted with anything. They were shunned, as if what THEY did was wrong. They were ordered to go and fight, they didn't create the war, they did what they did because that's all they knew how to do at the time.  It's heartbreaking, thinking of that, but at least now people have a better awareness of supporting the TROOPS, just not the war.  War sucks, but the troops are human and should be treated as such.  
Lmao, here I went and got on a soapbox. Man I'd have made a killer flower child, if I'd been born earlier than '67. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png
 Seriously though...it''s just basic common sense, and more people know that these days, which is excellent. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png

Back to the topic tho, yeah, I always teared up at heartwarming things...even as a child.  Commercials even lmao.  Hallmark card commercials.  And yeah, movies or shows with heartwarming themes, and people with big, loving families...on go the waterworks every time.

Last edited by La Llorona (May 18, 2017 12:53 am)

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long." --Johnny Depp
"Cry to me...let it come, let it bleed...reach in and get it, and set it free." --Heart

May 18, 2017 1:23 am  #14

La Llorana, you could easily have written my story. The only thing about tearing up for me is that it brings on a sense of shame - in my family, tears were something to hide lest they be used against you. My mother and I had "issues" which, even now, rear their ugly heads and one of them is being belittled when I cried. I'm only comfortable crying in a closed room alone. 

​However, I can't remember when I wasn't attracted to men's tears - but have found I much prefer tears on TV or in movies. Real life tears distress me more than intrigue me, and tears don't arouse me physically so much as psychologically and emotionally.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

June 10, 2017 10:36 am  #15

That's one of the important factors with regard to accepting your own crying - not feeling shame or embarrassed. I've learned to accept my own crying and I'm comfortable with it in front of my wife and a few close friends. I've also cried In front of so many health professionals now I don't feel embarrassed or ashamed. But I still can't cry openly in front of my immediate family - mother, father, brother etc. I'd feel extremely embarrassed if I shed tears in their company. I think it's because I feel I need to be a strong person - so that they don't worry and believe I'm making my way through life without undue stress or hardship - that I'm in control. I don't think this the right way to be as feeling shame with my family prevents me from having a close emotional bond with them - so glad I have my wife to share emotional moments with.

Board footera