You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2012 6:50 pm  #1

Supernatural? Anyone?

So… I’m a lurker. I posted an obs once back on the old forum, but I’ve been shamefully lurking here for quite a while now, and I’m coming out of hiding to ask:

Does anyone out there watch the TV show Supernatural?!

Because, my GOD, that show is just overflowing with crying scenes from Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. Good ones, too. I started watching it specifically because I’d heard about the abundance of crying scenes, and I have not been disappointed.

An overview of the show: Dean and Sam are brothers who have devoted their lives to hunting and killing demons to avenge their mom’s murder, which happened when they were children. They roadtrip across the U.S. scamming for money and offing evil spirits. There are a few major story arcs that span across seasons, and there are ongoing themes of good vs. evil (and the grey areas of both), familial duty and loyalty, destiny, sacrifice, the greater good, and loss of innocence.

If you’re a sucker for angst and h/c (like me!), this show is totally for you. Honestly, it seems like every episode has one of them tearing up over something. There’s not really always actual comforting per se when a character cries, but the brothers are almost always together when one of them tears up, and they do the whole “comfort with words" thing instead of physically comforting each other. (Also, if any of you are fantasy-aholics, you can totally imagine yourselves into the scenes.) The brothers have such a loyal, bantering, mutually-protective relationship… and it just gets to me. Haha.

The cinematography and special effects are kinda old school (at least in the early seasons), but it’s just part of what makes the show so classic. It’s a cult series for sure. You have to love the characters to get into it… but once you’re hooked, you’re hooked. If you’re going to start watching, I would suggest watching in order starting with season 1 just because the whole series is a story that builds on itself.

Well crap... I just tried to post three links to some of the better crying scenes, but evidently I have to make 2 posts before being allowed to post clips. So guys... clips to follow after I've proven myself as a reformed lurker. ;)

Last edited by seriously (April 14, 2012 4:37 am)

April 11, 2012 11:54 pm  #2

Re: Supernatural? Anyone?

Haha, welcome back, Seriously! (although I expect you will probably return to lurking soon)  In any case, nice to see you, and look forward to the clips!  Oh, and do you have any links to any Supernatural fanfics that contain a lot of crying?

Last edited by woundedpuppy (April 11, 2012 11:54 pm)

April 13, 2012 1:57 am  #3

Thanks woundedpuppy! My lurkerdome has less to do with my interest in being involved in the forum (which is high!) than it does with my infrequent use of the internet. I’m 25 and quite tech-savvy, but I’m currently living on a tropical island, so… my priorities lie more with outdoor activities.

I can’t think of any good fanfics off the top of my head… I’m actually just getting into Supernatural, so I haven’t yet scoured the web for any and all resources. That will come once I’ve finished watching all the episodes and am going through withdrawal. Ha. But if I find any fanfics with good crying scenes, I will surely let you know.

Alright, so… here are three crying clips from the show. But, MAJOR SPOILER ALERT. Don’t watch them if you don’t want to know about big events that happen. I saw these clips before I started watching season 1 and haven’t enjoyed the show any less because of it, but I know that some people do NOT like having things given away. Also, just a fair warning, the clips probably seem pretty melodramatic if you don’t know the context… and some of the acting and dialogue is pretty iffy (especially from the female guest star in clip 2, though there are some good tears from her for those of you who are into female crying.)

So, enjoy! Or don’t.

Dean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-U0AsyF7yY

Sam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SynjcSiW4FY

Dean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjpsjdnZQzw

Last edited by seriously (April 13, 2012 3:09 am)

April 14, 2012 4:13 am  #4

I used to be completely obsessed with this show!  Loved all the H/C stuff, own the first 4 seasons, and I watched it religiously until the end of Season 6 (last year's season finale).  Haven't seen it since, but I will probably rent season 7 when it comes out on DVD. I still love the main actors and think they're doing a great job with what they've been given, but I thought the quality of the writing (and perhaps, to some extent, the directing as well) has continued to go down in quality starting sometime in seasons 5.  If anyone had ever told me five years ago that I would start to get bored of this show, I would never have believed them!

Anyways, love the clips you've already posted!  Those boys are champion criers.  Love it when Dean cries especially - he tries so hard to be the tough, macho type, but inside he's clearly made of marshmallow fluff. :D

One of my most favorite crying moments from that show (even though only one tear actually falls from his eye) is the moment during Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things from season 2, when Dean apologizes to Sam for his recent behavior.  You can watch that scene here, starting at 5:35 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2OomZpbuBY  Like the other vids, this is pretty spoilery for some season 2 stuff

Last edited by thedreamer (April 14, 2012 4:15 am)

April 14, 2012 4:26 am  #5

Ahhh I'm so glad someone else is familiar with the show!! Thedreamer -- I love that scene you linked! Something about Dean's tearful apology is so intimate and vulnerable in context. (Unrelated: I love earlier in the episode when Sam is berating him as they walk and telling him "you have to talk about this!" and finally Dean just stops and says, "I hear you. I'm being a jerk." That whole scene is so cute and really plays up the tough guy/marshmellow fluff tension.) There are tons of clips I'm too lazy to look up of the boys with eyes full of tears, crying one or two tears, or fighting tears altogether... champion criers indeed. And yes, I'm partial to Dean Tears as well. Thanks for the link.

I'm just starting in on season 3, and I'm disappointed to hear that you think the show declines in quality as it goes on... bummer. But I'm so attached to the characters that I'm going to see it through to the end for sure!

Last edited by seriously (April 14, 2012 4:39 am)

April 14, 2012 5:44 am  #6

seriously wrote:

Ahhh I'm so glad someone else is familiar with the show!! Thedreamer -- I love that scene you linked! Something about Dean's tearful apology is so intimate and vulnerable in context. (Unrelated: I love earlier in the episode when Sam is berating him as they walk and telling him "you have to talk about this!" and finally Dean just stops and says, "I hear you. I'm being a jerk." That whole scene is so cute and really plays up the tough guy/marshmellow fluff tension.) There are tons of clips I'm too lazy to look up of the boys with eyes full of tears, crying one or two tears, or fighting tears altogether... champion criers indeed. And yes, I'm partial to Dean Tears as well. Thanks for the link.

I'm just starting in on season 3, and I'm disappointed to hear that you think the show declines in quality as it goes on... bummer. But I'm so attached to the characters that I'm going to see it through to the end for sure!

I agree with you - Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is one of my favorite episodes for just that reason.  It's not just the crying in that episode - it's the brotherly love, the raw nakedness of Dean's vulnerability in that moment, as well as his belligerent behavior during the earlier parts of the same ep.  Great portrayal of unresolved grief and guilt.  Season 2 was my favorite because it was so angst and tear-filled...so much drama!

April 15, 2012 1:55 am  #7

They are damn sexy criers, for sure!  Very real and well-executed.  I wonder if they ever have trouble getting the tears going and have to do a scene over again or if it just flows out of both of them naturally.

Hmm, I would love to see crying "bloopers", actually (for any show)... like, either an actor cries too much so that he becomes incomprehensible and has to start over, cries too little (and stops and curses at himself for not getting the emotion right!), makes a bit of a mess and has to start over because he's self conscious (like has to wipe his nose), or messes up the actual lines while crying and immediately goes OUT of character (probably cursing or giggling) WHILE the tears are still sitting on his face!!  Any of these scenarios, wow, I would just melt to see that kind of thing!  You would think the exact opposite, like I want to believe they aren't actors but really are the characters they play, and while sometimes that can be true, I also think it's pretty neat (and impressive) to witness the contrast between acting and non-acting... like, between being in control and suddenly intentionally summoning up a vulnerable emotion... kind of like watching a strip tease, I guess, haha... from fully clothed to "stripping down" to a vulnerable state... it's kind of like a self-torture, really, the crying-on-demand... they are inflicting pain on themselves intentionally (if pain is the emotion being used)... um, OK, that's hot!!! (for me!)

My most recent fanfic actually addressed this relatively new interest of mine when I had a male actor change from being his easy going and happy self to becoming a convincingly emotionally distraught "character" in a matter of seconds... had I kept going with the fic, I would definitely have written in several more contrasty bits to keep things interesting for myself, and at some point, he would have succombed to his emotions as well and started crying uncontrolled, though hoping she still thought he was acting... I love the thought of an actor accidentally biting off more than he intended to chew!

OK, so when am I going to become desperate enough to enroll in a drama class JUST so I can see this sort of crying in real life, haha!  Not quite desperate enough yet, I guess, but I wonder if there are acting workshops specifically geared to teaching how to cry on cue.  If I heard of a workshop like that in my vincinity, then yes, I'd most definitely sign up, like, NOW!!!!!  I think it's hard for a lot of guys to succeed at it without faking it a little (which can definitely be cringe-inducing!), but surely the instructor would be able to do a decent job themselves (oh yeah, gotta make sure it's a guy instructor too, hehe...)

Sorry this got a bit off-topic from Supernatural, but their talent for bringing on the man-tears inspired me, I guess.   And if I see actors crying a lot (as these guys apparently do) I tend to think that they want to do it and it's not just being directed that way.

Perhaps I should start reading their interviews...

Last edited by woundedpuppy (April 15, 2012 1:57 am)

April 15, 2012 2:47 am  #8

I'm on my way out the door, but I have read some stuff about how they prepared for their crying scenes -- I don't remember where I read it, but I'll share what I know later tonight and respond more in depth to your post, woundedpuppy!

April 15, 2012 2:51 am  #9

Oh, this I've gotta hear!!!

April 15, 2012 2:58 am  #10

Hey, the actors talk about one of the scenes here (around 2:29):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndUeJh2Krv4

Board footera