You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2018 5:19 pm  #1

Crying database idea

Ok, this might sound slightly weird at first but hear me out. It struck me that for people seeking out crying scenes, while this forum has some great topics like the crying scenes directory and the videos section, there isn't a unified database or table where you can search for any actor / actress and find all their known crying scenes really quickly.

So my idea is essentially this: Starting off with a Google Sheet (or similar), we could build up an overall reference table of crying scenes. If a lot of people chipped in, it could become quite comprehensive. Imagine being able to see how many crying scenes everyone has, rank them or do some weird analysis on it (I confess - bit of a data nerd, I've toyed with the idea of this for quite a while, but attempting to log everything single-handed is impossible)

The columns would be things like name, gender, occupation (e.g. actress), show/movie name, timestamp, link (if available). Of course we could take it further, with flags for individual quirks we enjoy, like whether it includes lip curl, lots of tears, sobbing, this sort of thing. Super easy to filter to whatever your tastes are.

If anyone is interested in this I'm totally up for creating a template. 

June 6, 2018 8:07 pm  #2

Re: Crying database idea

OnlyTears - I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this idea! It is quite a hassle having to scroll through pages of past posts and then have to go through links to try to find something I want to see, haven't seen, or want to save. And when people just post links with no description if it is M/F...it can be very bothersome and time-consuming. If we had an actual catalog of  videos and snippets to sort through in a spreadsheet, that would be SUCH a help and a pleasure! To have new items posted in bold to see what's recently been posted, and then to be able to sort M/F, sobbing/crying, sniffling/tissue, lip curl/tears, etc, etc...would be amazing. We could also possibly put them in age range, as well as label whether it is live theatre/TV/movie, and so on. I'd be the first to use it!  Moderators: TorNorth, carrotcake, tearhunter, et al, ...what do you think? 

June 9, 2018 3:49 am  #3

As the one who started the Crying Scenes Directory - and seen it mushroom to an impressive 30 pages, I would also like to throw my weight behind this idea since I can quite understand if people wouldn't want to scroll through 30 pages of text to find out if their favourite crying scene was there before posting

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

June 9, 2018 1:49 pm  #4

This is an excellent idea!

June 9, 2018 3:44 pm  #5

Thanks for the support guys, I actually started this today (I'm ill so I've got nothing better to do)
Will send out a link shortly, just realised I have to make it to my 10th post first, lol.

June 9, 2018 4:15 pm  #6

Right, here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-oXO7hvqWQtvKAyLgQEeqYsjHpGGhYvfj8vvrKoBAHo/
Anyone with the link can edit. Open in incognito if you don't want to use your google account.

I added the Daisy Ridley lines at the top as a test to see if I could fill in all the detail. The rest I copied over from page 1 of the crying scenes directory thread. Didn't take too long.
I think we should leave all those columns in but don't realistically expect to fill them very often. I don't want it to feel like data entry (but if someone's crazy enough to sit down and physically count tears in every scene then I won't stop them, hahaha)

Open to any suggestions or if you want to add even more columns - I don't mind! Don't ask permission, just edit away

June 9, 2018 6:27 pm  #7

Nice! I was sceptical about this initially, but this changed my mind. I'll try to edit if I find the time. I'd add other crying categories such as:

Comforting scene? (M/f, f/m, m/m, f/f)

Tissues/handkerchiefs?

Body movements? (Exposed belly, throat spasms)

Ugly crying is pretty crying

June 10, 2018 3:27 am  #8

This is fantastic. I'll use it. 

June 17, 2018 5:28 pm  #9

It would also be helpful to see when (if) past scenes are removed for whatever reason. Too often I go back to find something and it's been taken down.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

June 17, 2018 7:29 pm  #10

This is amazing! I'll use and add when I can...and I agree with TorNorth's suggestion as well! Thanks so much for doing this! We've got work to do, friends! 

Board footera