You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2012 3:00 pm  #1

The Ultimate Crying Questionnaire - First Draft

As promised on another thread, here's the first attempt at a crying questionnaire which attempts to find out more about both the frequency of a persons crying behaviour and they type of crying they tend to have.
This is only a first draft and it's is intended to be completed reasonably quickly with most of the questions being multiple choice. I've also imposed a limit of 25 questions so currently space for one more!

Please have a read over and suggest any changes to word, questions asked, multiple choice option etc - my hope is that with the help of you guys we can constuct a really good questionnaire that we can perhaps use to answer some of the questions we have raised over the years on this forum. Like all questionnaire it will largely depend on the people completing it but we can tackle that issue once we have a good questionnaire built.

I'm only concerned with the wording at the moment, when that is sorted out I'll work on the layout of the final questionnaire!

If you want to propose a change please post a reply for each question you are looking to make a change too, please give me reason why you think the change should be made.

I'm also sure there is loads of typos in this as I've typed it up really quickly but wanted to get it out for discussion as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your thoughts and changes.

<<Removed Questionnaire to prevent Google indexing it>>

Last edited by tearhunter (August 6, 2012 8:14 pm)

June 29, 2012 11:06 pm  #2

Re: The Ultimate Crying Questionnaire - First Draft

Great, can't wait to see some results. One question which I imagine causes confusion is about intensity of crying. Might I suggest answers like, "tears falling with occasional sobs," "started out with quiet tears, then started sobbing" or "started sobbing, then quieted down but kept crying." The wording is obviously really rough, but something to allow for varying intensity, which in my experience is quite common.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

June 30, 2012 2:27 pm  #3

Thanks Meantangerine, yip I agree the crying intensity question is in need of rewording - some of the above questions originate from my current online questionnaire (more on that in a moment) and I tweaked the options a bit as I felt it was weighted too heavily in the almost crying state as opposed to the actual crying state. Your suggestion introduces something different as well which is that the intensity changes during a crying episode - which of course it does. When I orginally came up with the question I was thinking peak intensity (which I didn't really make clear) - so need to decide if we want to ask the question as just peak intensity or expand to include changes in crying intensity throughout the episode - thought's please.

I've been looking into the questionnaires I received from my current online survey (www.crying-survey.co.uk) - I originally used an Access Database with a Delphi front end (tech speak sorry - basically a windows based programing language) anyway to cut a long story short when I upgraded to Windows Vista (and then Windows 7) Delphi no longer worked so I lost the analysis functions and the ability to import the questionnaires from my Outlook mailbox.

But, Outlook and Excel 2010 have better data import/export functions and with a lot of data manipulation I'm slowly finding a way to import the data into Excel where I can do some analysis on it. The data is not formatted correctly to do much analysis but a bit more work should enable me to get some numbers from it quite soon. All I know so far is I have a total of 2239 completed questionnaires, 1908 Females (85.2%) and 331 Males (14.8%).

This new questionnaire, once we all chip in and get the wording just right and it ask what the members on this forum want to ask (more input please) I think we should try and get 'normal' people to complete. Don't know how to do that just yet but we can think up some ideas on that later. The problem I think with the online questionnaire is that people who complete it are already looking for crying on the internet so are arguably not 'normal' with regard to their current crying habits. I want people who have never thought about their crying to complete this new set of questions.

I'm going to be on holiday for a week or so (from tomorrow) so there's time to have a think about some of the questions currently being proposed - I'll have limited internet access but probably not enough to response so I'll catch up with you all when I get back.

Really excited about this questionnaire being a collaboration of the members of this forum and coming up with a really good set of questions. Please take some time to read through the questions and drop me some suggestions, your input is valued and important. It's also worth thinking about the method these questions will be put to people - hand filled in, or via internet (invitation only perhaps) - or a bit of both. One reason why I opted to have the questionnaire in a multiple choice style format - people just select options and don't have to write much.

July 3, 2012 2:18 am  #4

I certainly intend to respond to this thread after some careful thought... just can't right now as I'm travelling on holiday and I feel I can't answer quickly.  I don't want to sound negative, but I really suck at these kind of surveys... I always feel that any guesswork I do about my own crying must be horribly off... I just seem to forget all my crying details.  And this struggle I have does make me wonder how accurate others are.  I'll try to think of what sort of questions might be easiest for me to answer to produce the most closely accurate answers and maybe that would help with the general public as well.  I wish they would do a study where people had to wear a crying monitor for a year... some sort of non-invasive device which would take scientific measurements of exactly how often and how long they cried... of course, this will never happen, even if such a device existed, but it would be very interesting to compare those results to the same person's survey results and see how accurate the person was in reporting their own crying.  I'm sure I'd be more accurate if I enjoyed my own crying, or if I had incentive through the year to mark down in a journal whenever I cried and the various details of the crying.  But if I just look back on a year and try to think about how often I cried and think about the details... I feel so clueless!!!  Hopefully it's an easier thing for other people.

Last edited by woundedpuppy (July 3, 2012 2:26 am)

July 3, 2012 11:08 am  #5

Hi Woundedpuppy, also on holiday so not easy to respond via an iPhone!
Not looking for people to complete this survey at the moment, more looking for help in shaping the wording and questions asked. You are good with words so would appreciate your critical eye :o)
We can catch up when we are both back from holiday - hope you are having a good one.

July 3, 2012 8:34 pm  #6

Hi TorNorth, not able to view your response too well because I've not got access to a proper computer at the moment. My original request might not have been all that clear - sorry guys but what I was looking for was you to review the questionnaire itself not answer it - well not yet anyway.

If you are able to comment on the questions, the options, and whether it covers all the questions you'd want to ask that would be great.

Looking to construct the best questionnaire with the help of you folks on the forum.

July 4, 2012 12:08 am  #7

No, I understood what you were asking for, Tearhunter... I think I'm taking up the position that, although it's a wonderful experiment and a fascinating study, I have a difficult time making suggestions because I feel like surveys about crying behavior are, themselves, quite hard.  At least they are for me, and because of this, I guess I question how accurately others are able to fill them out, especially non-observant (non-fetishist) "normal" people.  The only way I could do it accurately myself would be to keep a crying log.  Don't know if things could be set up online (not in connection with this forum, of course) so that interested people could report their crying as it happened, sort of keeping an online journal of their crying behavior while it was still fresh in their minds, with a login name or something.  If so, that would be cool.  Though anyone who would bother to keep at it over a long period of time would have to be extremely interested (thinking of a guy who cries only a few times a year, it's hard to imagine him returning to the same site after months of not thinking about it!)  I know for crying questions, I am better at general subject-matter type questions (like what types of things would make me cry, who I would feel comfortable crying in front of) than data-oriented questions involving the number of times I've cried over a period of time, length of time I cried, or even the most recent episode, physical details of the tears during that episode, etc.  If I had the mindset to keep track of the data and wrote things down as they happened, I know I would be able to be pretty accurate, but again, I'm not saying this is something the average member of the public would necessarily want to do (at least without some type of incentive or natural keen interest).  Just saying it for whatever it might be worth, I guess.  My few crying observations of other people are more accurate, and with the men, I remember ALL the details that are possible to remember... no surprise there! ;)

Like I said, I'll still try to make a better contribution when I have time to really think about it, so sorry I'm kind of overwhelmed with it right now.  I love that you are doing surveys and it's a huge advantage to the crying fetish community that you are doing them.  I guess maybe what I'd love to see is people writing something out in their own words about a time that they cried.  That way, it would read just like an observation and there might be some details that were particularly interesting that might not surface any other way except for if they wrote it all out.  I understand how that might make it seem like too much effort for the participants though... I dunno, doesn't matter... but I wish you luck with the updated survey, and I can definitely help with proofreading for typos when it gets to that point!

Eeps, this turned out longer than I thought, haha.

Last edited by woundedpuppy (July 4, 2012 12:23 am)

July 4, 2012 12:46 am  #8

I like the questionnaire so far - good work, Tearhunter! Although, like Woundedpuppy, I feel it might be difficult to pinpoint certain statistics - even as someone very attentive to the specifics of crying (I occasionally think about how I'd describe a particular crying episode to you guys here while I'm having it!), I think I'd struggle to remember things like how long I cry for or how often.

Also, a minor thing: you ask about crying in 'a work environment' - is there any chance this category could be widened to experiences at college/university? This is also a 'professional' environment where tears would be much more awkward than at home or with friends. Obviously we as a fetish community are not interested in childhood crying experiences, but I have been classed as an adult for four and a half years now and, being a university student, have not yet had a proper job. My equivalent would be crying in front of my Director of Studies, as I would consider this akin to crying in front of a boss.

July 8, 2012 2:40 am  #9

OK, here's my attempt:

Questions are probably easier for most people to answer than I originally thought -- I just do bad on answering whenever my last crying episode was because I know I tend to cry about relatively unremarkable things at times (like long standing problems!), so with things like that, I don't really have a clue when I cried about it, or for how long etc, but I certainly remember more remarkable or special crying events.

Typos:
9) "succession" not "secession"
11) "brother" not "bother"
18) "ever" not "every"

Looks good to me otherwise.  If there's room for a 25th question, I personally like the idea of knowing HOW to get someone to open up... goodness knows I've failed at that one before!  So don't need to use it, but, if I were to come up with a suggestion, I guess it would probably be roughly along the lines of...

On a painful subject or issue that might make me cry or get emotional, I am MORE likely to open up to a friend if:

- I bring up the subject on my own (being asked prying questions by a friend rubs me the wrong way or makes me feel more self-conscious, embarrassed, or closed off in general)
- the friend pries with questions about the subject (I might feel too self-conscious or embarrassed to bring it up on my own, but if a friend brings it up, I feel less self-conscious and more like opening up to them)

The wording is probably not that great, but that type of idea.

Eeps, I can't think of more, even though I'm sure there's more... told you I suck at this. ;)

OK -- I'm done!

Last edited by woundedpuppy (July 9, 2012 2:42 am)

July 8, 2012 5:46 pm  #10

are we to take part in this?

or do we send it to you?

there was once was a wise old saying...

Board footera