You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2012 5:06 am  #1

An All-time world record of tears?

I don't know if someone here can answer this question or ever has thought about this but do you think a such record exist?

I was a little curious and searched for different records a real long time but obviously could't find anything toward that... (tears/crying)

although I really did find everything else what is imaginable!

any suggestions?

July 22, 2012 3:12 am  #2

Re: An All-time world record of tears?

There is no official record, according to the Guinness website, but here are some less-official results
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2602585
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/World%27s_longest_cry
http://www.answer5.com/livelihood/society_culture/?id=b205334 (Also, not sure if we have any Muslim members here who can clarify this for me, but is crying an important part of Ramadan? I'd never heard that before.)

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

July 24, 2012 9:19 pm  #3

I'd love to be the judge on all record attempts  :o)

I guess the problem here is someone would always claim to have cried harder, longer and shed more tears in private than in front of a person viewed as a qualified judge. It would probably have to be qualified with a statement like 'most emotional tears shed in 10 minutes' or 'most tears shed in 10 minutes from fake (acting style) crying' - or something like that!

My wife holds a personal record for me, she holds the longest continuous crying duration I've witness - she cried (tears falling) for over 5 hours - caused by hormone changes after giving birth 5 days before.
She also holds the most tears shed in a short period of time (I'd say a minute but I didn't have a stopwatch) that I've witnessed - although I don't have a direct count the tears were dripping like a tap from her eyes ever second or so during very intense crying.

And I hold my personal record for male tears that I've seen - but I'm not sure that's allowed  :o)

Perhaps we should all get together and set the record for the most people crying in one place - that would be great fun!

August 1, 2012 5:55 am  #4

My wife holds a personal record for me, she holds the longest continuous crying duration I've witness - she cried (tears falling) for over 5 hours - caused by hormone changes after giving birth 5 days before.
She also holds the most tears shed in a short period of time (I'd say a minute but I didn't have a stopwatch) that I've witnessed - although I don't have a direct count the tears were dripping like a tap from her eyes ever second or so during very intense crying.

hm this seem to be really extremaly much...^^  just imagine a person shed tears in that intensity (you say one tear/ second... from both eyes or a teardrop from each single eye?) and now let's imagine this for 5 hours...  This would be more then 1 whole liter of tear-water o.O  (TPM rate 120 = 4ml X 300 =  1,2L of tears) 

but I guess it was not that long + in a such intensity (?)   

tearhunter wrote:

I'd love to be the judge on all record attempts  :o)

I guess the problem here is someone would always claim to have cried harder, longer and shed more tears in private than in front of a person viewed as a qualified judge. It would probably have to be qualified with a statement like 'most emotional tears shed in 10 minutes' or 'most tears shed in 10 minutes from fake (acting style) crying' - or something like that!

I agree a such study is probably not too easy way to realize, especially because everyone cries different, but what about a competition like: "crazy record attempt - we search the person who can cry the longest time and shed the most tears in front of a judge/camera" (of course with the optional possibility to stay anonymous for the public),  the winner goes to earn 10.000$ cash. I'm sure a lot of people who cry a lot or have a 'talent' for it would participate...

August 1, 2012 6:06 am  #5

meantangerine wrote:

There is no official record, according to the Guinness website, but here are some less-official results
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2602585
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/World%27s_longest_cry
http://www.answer5.com/livelihood/society_culture/?id=b205334 (Also, not sure if we have any Muslim members here who can clarify this for me, but is crying an important part of Ramadan? I'd never heard that before.)

A friend of mine is Muslim and actually practising this Ramadan, but I never heard that there is anything with crying about it.  He only takes part in rituals like renouncing food or drinks before sunset, also he has to go at mosque almost every day but perhaps I should ask him...

August 1, 2012 6:16 pm  #6

tearhunter wrote:

@BadCr: Sorry, probably not clear in my original post, these were separate events. Although there was a lot of tears which were fairly steady during her 5 hour crying event they did not fail every second. It would however be interesting to know just how many tears fell and what the total volume of liquid was. Not sure what the average tear is in terms of volume of liquid - I guess it varies - in your calculation are you using 4ml?

The dripping tears came from a very short (minute or two) intense crying event. It was also a tear falling per second or so and not a tear per eye - obviously at times both eyes let a tear fall at the same time.She had her head tilted down so most of the tears left her eyes and fell from her eyelashes - which made the dripping effect more noticeable.

Board footera