You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2012 8:04 am  #1

Cool Show In NYC

So I was reading an interview with Neil Patrick Harris where he talks about a show in NY that he did a walk-on appearance in called Sleep No More.

Basically, it is an interactive immersive show about a hotel where actors and audience members interact in rooms and move at their own pace. 

Apparantly, he played the character of the Porter and he has to cry for some reason in his scenes.  So essentially certain audience members got to personally interact with a crying Neil Patrick Harris!

Here's the link I was reading if you want to know more:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/neil-patrick-harris-sleep-no-more.html

Anybody seen this show in NY or know any more about it?  I would love to hear about it.  Also, thought I'd let people know in case they lived in NY and wanted to go.

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

August 10, 2012 12:25 pm  #2

Re: Cool Show In NYC

OH. MY. GAWD.

This is the most AMAZING thing I've ever heard of.  I hadn't even heard of "immersive theatre" before, let alone something as fantastic as this.  Anyone live close enough to New York to go to this?  I would do it in a heartbeat.  I am still in shock over it, actually.  A-MA-ZING!

Hey, don't we have a big Neil Patrick Harris fan on this forum?  I thought there might have been a thread... 

Man, this almost seems too good to be true -- but it's true!!!

Thanks, yellowrose.  I have some fantasy fuel for tonight. ;)

Last edited by woundedpuppy (August 10, 2012 12:26 pm)

August 10, 2012 9:41 pm  #3

That's cool, thanks yellowrose for sharing. I wish I could go but I don't live in NYC.

August 23, 2012 2:53 am  #4

I've always planned to go to Sleep No More (I do in fact live in NYC, and my friends and I have meant to go for over a year because cool people often go), but I didn't know this happened! Haha now I DEFINITELY have to go.

Last edited by PaperThings (August 23, 2012 2:55 am)

August 24, 2012 1:11 am  #5

OMG, that's perfect, PaperThings -- lucky you!!!  Look forward to hearing your report (assuming you'll share it... I sure hope so!)  Make sure not to miss it!!  I wonder what happens when Neil Patrick Harris is unavailable to do the part... does someone else does that role, or does it just disappear with him?

On another note, I actually visited NYC briefly earlier this year (though it's not like I can just go back again to see this play... I would need another good reason to go, especially having just been there).  It's amazing for me to think that I was in the same city as another crying fetishist (even though we didn't meet).  We're generally pretty spread out around the world.

August 24, 2012 3:50 am  #6

Yes, I love that too! It's really cool to know all of you actually exist, though that sounds strange haha.

Of course, I'll definitely share! It sounds like it's usually another actor's job when NPH is unavailable (still cool, though not AS cool). I'm probably going to go for my birthday, which means that my friends will sort of shove me forward (I hope) if they need a volunteer. I'm really excited for this now . I know other favorite actory people of mine often go, though sometimes as audience members!

August 24, 2012 8:38 pm  #7

You are SO lucky to live in NYC, by the way.  I don't live in a big city with good theatre.   However, Toronto has a decent scene and is close enough to get to if I ever hear of the right thing playing there (and can get tickets CLOSE enough to see the crying).  It's probably easy enough to catch a play with some pretend crying in it at a distance... but what I want for my money is to see some real tears!!!!  Only way you can really confirm they're real is to be up close.  Definitely worth paying top dollar).

August 25, 2012 4:26 am  #8

Up close you really do get to see. My favorite theater obs is still Andrew Garfield in Death of a Salesman, which I think I posted here. There was another fun one, though, where I was seeing a play and basically, there were a few really intense scenes where more or less all the characters (most of them women) cried. Then at one point, a heated and tearful exchange was going on between two of them, and I looked over at one of the two guys who didn't have any lines but was standing with them, and from where I was sitting, it was clear (to me at least, as an obsesser of such things haha) that he was fighting tears. I thought that was really cool, like he got so into it he had to try hard not to cry. It was an actor I liked from other things, too.

But yeah, you should definitely go. Almost all the shows I see (and I mean, I love theater anyway) have some crying in them. Especially, unfortunately, the non-musical dramas. And Toronto does have great theater. :D We should make a resource on the site of shows with some form of crying written into the script.

August 25, 2012 2:21 pm  #9

PaperThings wrote:

We should make a resource on the site of shows with some form of crying written into the script.

I would REALLY like to see this resource happen, PaperThings!!!  You seem like the perfect person to start it, if you can help us out (you seem the most knowlegable!)  I could certainly help with building the resource by googling details, such as where and when the plays are playing, but as far as the actual crying scenes goes?  I think that's got to come from people who know the plays well enough to know the scenes.  A Wikipedia description of a play isn't going to give that sort of detail... even if it says some character gets upset, we don't know if it's a quick covering of the eyes followed by a hasty exit type of scene or whether it's a scene with some real substance to it.  I don't have nearly the amount of exposure to plays that I should.  I did see the musical Les Miserables many years ago... twice, actually.  With a title like that, you'd think there must be some heavy crying, but actual real tears running down someone's face type of crying? I don't specifically remember that... then again, I wasn't up close and my fetish wasn't nearly as strong back then...

Anyway, let's start this resource!!!

August 25, 2012 9:31 pm  #10

Yay! Okay, the only problem is, I think a lot of it depends on the production. Like in the production of Les Mis I saw I'm pretty sure Marius cried a couple of times (I saw it ages and ages ago, so I don't really remember). And sometimes they fake sobbing but don't have actual tears on their face. But I can try to make a resource based on the shows I've seen and scripts I've read at least, and then hopefully at least most of them will keep the crying in any production.

Board footera