You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2012 3:28 pm  #1

video board - opinions?

I'm curious, as a long time member of this forum, what the other members think about the video board being a members-only section?  Just curious!

Personally, I'd like to see it go back to being a publicly accessible board.  If the goal of making it a members-only section was to encourage more people to sign up as members, then I am wondering if that experiment has really worked out.  My gut says it hasn't and that, at worst, it might even be doing the opposite.  I have no access to the stats, of course, so what do I know -- but I know our membership hasn't exactly increased by leaps and bounds since it became private or I'm sure I would have noticed something.  When visiting the forum without a member ID, you can't even see that a video board exists because it is physically blocked from sight (a setting that apparently can't be changed once you set the board to private).  People specifically wanting to see crying videos (isn't that the reason they were originally blocked? because they were considered the "best stuff"?) might browse quickly and then, not seeing the type of resources they want, just head on over to YouTube.  Whereas if they kept hanging around the board, maybe they'd eventually want to join? 

It's just a thought.  Like I said, what do I know, and I don't have the authority to do anything about it (not that I'm looking for authority).  But I was curious what other people thought.   Mostly because I have been following two threads of mine for the past several days which were posted at roughly the same time.  My post in the fic section has a whopping 82 views.  My post in the video section has a mere 17 (and no responses).  I know that I have gone in several times to fiddle around with the fic one and read it over again, and that there are other posts in the thread as well, but I still don't think that fully accounts for such a wide gap.  I would love to be able to share that Jon Stewart "Night of Too Many Stars" video clip with ALL the crying fetishists out there (I hope there are more Stewart fans than just me!)  Yes, I know I could just go somewhere else if I wanted to post it publicly.  I just would have thought it would be nice to keep it here, at "home", and encourage as many genuine fetishists as possible to keep meeting here.  This is still the only forum that I know about that is for non-BDSM-related crying as a turn-on, and that's where I felt most comfortable sharing my find.

Anyway, I just wanted to express my views on the video section being blocked from non-members.  If anyone has any opinions on the subject (whether in agreement or disagreement), I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by woundedpuppy (November 20, 2012 3:31 pm)

November 20, 2012 9:50 pm  #2

Re: video board - opinions?

woundedpuppy, I have to agree with you, especially if non-members could add videos (moderated, of course) to the site.  People out there may have resources we don't know about - people who aren't ready to join the forum yet for whatever reason.  Trying to find videos on YouTube can be a frustrating experience - I've done searches on as many synonyms for "cry" as I can think of, and all too often I end up with the same videos.  It's hard to find something I haven't already seen.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

November 20, 2012 10:17 pm  #3

Yeah I think I agree, although I'm pretty sure most will remain lurkers and not sign up to become full members but I guess some might like what they see and sign up so we may gain a few by showing the thread to the world.

I can't see the web stats from the forum itself so I can't tell which pages are popular - but visitors who arrived via the web page portal (and I'm guess most of us regulars don't come via this way) is currenly running at an average of 8 new visitors per day. So, not many are signing up - but I do still believe we are a fairly niche forum.

November 20, 2012 10:33 pm  #4

Both what TH and WP said has already occurred to me, of course. On one hand people may not realize that a media section exists, despite the fact that it's mentioned in the intro section. On the other hand people are reluctant to contribute (how many of the 126 members actually post here?).

I'll put in to a vote, but there would have to be a firm yes or no instead of just ifs and buts.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

November 21, 2012 12:02 am  #5

I agree that the membership wouldn't suddenly climb by a significant amount, but I personally think it's worth making the video forum public for the fact that there probably aren't any really significant drawbacks.  Yes, we truly are a niche group, and our membership, traffic and posts reflect that regardless of how the forum is set up.  But I would hope there would be a mild increase in traffic to the video board if we made it public.  It might end up being the most popular section for our lurkers, and if they don't post, we can still see the number of views of any given post (which, to me, gives some small amount of satisfaction, even if no one replies to the post).  So I'd vote (are we voting yet?) for the video forum to go public.

Last edited by woundedpuppy (November 21, 2012 12:19 am)

November 21, 2012 1:01 am  #6

Agree - I vote Yes.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

November 21, 2012 8:12 pm  #7

I agree too, vote yes.

November 21, 2012 10:39 pm  #8

Yes from me.

November 22, 2012 2:25 am  #9

I vote yes, mostly because I don't see why it would be members only and didn't realize it was, haha.

November 22, 2012 5:20 am  #10

I say yes

Board footera