You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2013 9:42 pm  #1

Anticipating crying scenes on TV or in movies

When you know a crying scene is coming up in a future episode, or in a movie, do you find yourself thinking about it a lot?  If you know of a crying scene you haven't seen yet, do you actively seek it out? 

For me, the answer to both is "yes".  The reason this came up is because the next episode of "Castle"  (and possibly the one after that as well) feature a weepy Nathan Fillion.  I've heard he's a good crier, but everything I've seen so far has been disappointing - but the upcoming show clips give me the hope that this time, there will be some real emoting going on!

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 14, 2013 12:08 am  #2

Re: Anticipating crying scenes on TV or in movies

Yes, those things definitely get me going!  But unfortunately, for me, the anticipation part is pretty much always the best part.  I always find the crying scenes WAY too short and not enough crying in them, but especially #1.  Basically, whatever I can imagine in my head is always better than what happens on the screen.  Although once I saw a vlog on YouTube that had around 40 minutes of some guy steadily crying.  THAT met my requirements for length, AND he was obviously crying real tears and feeling real emotions.  But that was a vlog.  

I guess if I found something SO hot that I just had to see more of it, I could edit it and loop it so that it kept playing over and over.  If I were a technically-minded person, that is...

I definitely seek out crying scenes I hear about, though I don't usually hear about them off the forum.  What I do more often, though, is google "so-and-so crying" if I'm crushing on an actor or celebrity and see what comes up, though I don't seem to get crushes on many actors any more, for some reason.   Maybe I'm getting old...

Well, there's still the hope my old favorites will crack sometime!   Always waiting for them to appear on Oprah or some similar tell-all show...  

February 14, 2013 2:25 am  #3

I agree, I love the anticipation, but I try not to think about it too much because usuallly what I imagine is better than what actually happens in the episode so when all is said and done, I am often disappointed.  I actually find that the suprise crying scenes that I wasn't expecting or I had anticipated but weren't sure would happen are my favorite.  Less build up that way.

I'm really excited about Castle too.  I have also heard Nathan Fillion is a good crier also, and have been disappointed with the lack there of on Castle.  Maybe he will really shine in this episode.  As far as anticipation, I usually DVR Castle and wait to watch it when I have free time.  I may make some this week ;-)

@woundedpuppy -  OMG I thought I was the only one who frequently searched "so and so crying" on Google.  I don't even want to know how much time I have wasted doing this.  Nice to know I am not alone in my neuroses!! 

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

February 14, 2013 3:41 am  #4

Which reminds me - is anyone able to upload video?  I'd like to have the Castle scenes available on YouTube.

Anonymous

February 16, 2013 12:57 am  #5

@yellowrose  I'll one up you and admit I not only google "so and so crying" but I'll go through the variations too ("so and so cried", "so and so got emotional", etc.)... and worst of all, if I find nothing and am obsessing, I'll google yet again, as if doing it again will somehow make something pop up.  But the initial google (if I can just let it be at that!) is quite fun and has probably produced good results several times.

February 16, 2013 2:07 am  #6

You, too?  I've even gone to a thesarus to look up all the options for "cry" to try and find new material.  The only problem with You Tube is that, too often, "cry" or its many variations are NOT in the list of tags.  If you know of a movie or TV show with a crying scene, you can look that up, but it's iffy whether you'll be able to find what you want.

I still do the google search on a roughly weekly or twice weekly basis - I hit paydirt roughly once every fourth or fifth search.

And there is new video of Simon Baker getting emotional when he got his star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame - but it's just a throat catch and swallow.  Not NEARLY enough emotion to satisfy me!

Anonymous

February 16, 2013 10:43 pm  #7

I definitely search "so and so crying" or "so and so sobbing" or any possible variation of that on Google, YouTube, Google images, etc. And if it's someone I really want to see, I'll look it up every couple of months to see if they may have cried since I last checked.

I will often watch a movie or TV show simply because I've heard or read that it has a good crying scene in it, and I definitely think about the scene as I'm watching. Sometimes, especially if I'm watching with someone else, I get uncomfortable as I can tell it's approaching. So I try to watch these particular shows or movies alone.

February 16, 2013 11:58 pm  #8

Me, too!  I even watched Simon Baker in "Sex and Death 101" because I'd heard there were a couple of crying scenes in it.  True, there were, but they were "comedic" crying, not realistic.  Disappointing, to say the least!

Anonymous

February 17, 2013 3:16 pm  #9

I don't mind a small anticipation period like say for example Anna Kendrick in Pitch Perfect, but if it gets too long I get rather impatient. Unexpected tears don't happen all that often for me, the last time I saw one was Shay Mitchell on PLL. I'm a 'so and so crying' Googler too

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

February 17, 2013 9:12 pm  #10

Oh yeah i have anticipated crying scenes for some lenghs of time and when i have nothing to do i still fantasize and anticipate . I had also anticipated the existence or creation of this forum where i could talk and share crying trivia which was never dissapointing )..

The longer anticipation periods where a few years ago, i was expecting Robert Goren aka / Vincent d'Onofrio to cry on Criminal Intent. The whole 6th season was full of cues that the main character, the invincible detective is going to crack sooner or later. It wass sooo coool and unusual that they brought him such amount of build-up on crisis. I mean the episodes Blindspot and Endgame are pure genious in terms of facial expressions and emotional developpment, cathartic build up. There's a  dramatic scene in Endgame with Roy Scheider, one of the last roles he played before his death, it's a masterpiece but sadly there's no follow through. If you ever see the show at least the very first 2 seasons and then this one you'll see what i mean. Then it simply loses momentum..Goren never actually cries or breaks down as he could have done it during the 6 th season or at least in the following 3. He has a short flip when his brother is found dead in season 9 i guess and his mentor reappers in another possibly cathartic scene but shit happens and he doesn't even tear up..

Such a dissapointment that now i don't even permit myself to anticipate again. It's damaging, trust me!
Another one was the time when i was expecting the scenes in Disgrace, an adaptation after J.M Coetzee's novel. Before the movie i bought the book read it, the protagonist has a few very suggestive scenes but in the movie there are only two with John Malkovich, one of my favourite crier. They are filmed from a distance and are soo short that the crying details are almost insignifiant. You cannot do that to Malkovich!!!

Another majour anticipation i had in highschool in a south american soap opera where i was anticipating the protagonist to cry at one time, and what followed was more then i expected. He cried for 3 episodes in a row, it was a sob fest i could have never imagined since there was almost no cry scene before.

Now i do my google routine fom time to time or on the youtube but my main issue is that i no longer crush on actors anymore. I agree with wounded puppy, i'm gettin' old and fed up..or maybe i just want something special in terms of crying..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

Board footera