You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2013 11:48 am  #1

Mad Men - the famous Don Draper Scene

It seems this scene was pretty famous or should i say infamous  last year or two years ago when this episode aired and afterthat many people spread some memes on the net  with Don Draper/ Jon Hamm contorted face as to mock his character.
I find nothing to mock about this scene, it's a classic. Alpha male with a very vulnerable spot who drops the mask at one point. What people don't know is that Don Draper doesn't cry just this time, he has another similar scene during season 2 but i forgot the name of the episode..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syacksXFOgo

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

March 9, 2013 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Mad Men - the famous Don Draper Scene

You're referring to Season 3, Episode 11, "The Gypsy and the Hobo".  It's when Don (SPOILER ALERT!) confesses his true identity to Betty.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 10, 2013 8:22 am  #3

Yeah that one, i think it's even better then this one. Although i find hiding his face less appealing..

Last edited by psychic_girl (March 10, 2013 8:24 am)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

March 18, 2013 7:01 pm  #4

I like the season two one better, but for some reason it's always overlooked. There don't seem to be any clips or gifs of it, so if I want to watch it I have to load up Netflix and skip to that point in the episode. It just seems more in line with his character, and his emotional state leading up to it is great (hands and voice shaking, etc.) It seems unlikely to me that a guy like Don Draper wouldn't hide his face/try to control his crying as much as possible so maybe that's why the second scene doesn't really appeal to me-- it seems "fake."

March 18, 2013 9:10 pm  #5

Analyzing the two - while it's true that Don Draper would be more likely to hide his face, given the fact that A. he was still probably somewhat intoxicated, and B. he was taken by surprise by Peggy being awake, this was more of a "in spite of himself" cry rather than an "overwhelmed by emotion" cry.  At least, that's my take on it.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

Board footera