You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2013 3:22 pm  #1

A Play

So I recently attended a play with a sad ending, and at the end, I saw at least 3 guys who looked emotionally affected by it, like they had to wipe a tear or something!  It was extremely brief, of course, but when the lights came up, I immediately had a good look around.  The guys I saw were several rows away and like I said, it was brief.  But the signs and hints of crying were there.  A quick finger flicking underneath an eye.  A visible sigh or sniff, some type of postural shift or blinking pattern.  You can tell these things even at a distance.  So, I'm going to go ahead and count it as my first male obs of 2013!!  It didn't do anything for me because it was so distant and quick, but it's always reassuring to witness proof that men do, in fact, cry!!

This definitely makes me want to go see more tearjerker plays!!! 

April 25, 2013 6:52 pm  #2

Re: A Play

Oooh, what play was it?  

I recently watched Orphans (http://www.orphansonbroadway.com/) on Broadway -- a play starring Alec Baldwin, Ben Foster, and Tom Sturridge. It had a pretty sad ending and both Ben Foster & Tom Sturridge cried at the end.  

I didn't look around when it ended, but I heard a few sniffs here and there during the sad scene. And when it ended & the audience gave an applause, Alec Baldwin looked pretty sad and wiped a tear or two while taking a bow with Ben & Tom. 

If you're in NY, do see the play. It was the best decision I made this year (so far). It could've been a lifetime opportunity, even... seeing those Hollywood celebrities acting in front of me (especially since I live in Asia).  

Last edited by sakura (April 25, 2013 6:53 pm)

April 25, 2013 9:27 pm  #3

Oh, it was just written by a local playright -- nothing that would be playing in New York or outside of my local area.  Cool what you saw in New York, though!!  How close were you to the stage?  Could you tell the actors were crying for real, or was it hard to tell from where you were?  During the play part, I mean (if Alec Baldwin was wiping his eyes during the bow, then one would assume, even at a great distance, that it was from genuine emotion!)

April 26, 2013 2:41 am  #4

Alec Baldwin is a crier so trust me to be genuine tears what he shed on stage. (kiddin').

Last edited by psychic_girl (April 26, 2013 2:42 am)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

April 26, 2013 8:01 am  #5

woundedpuppy wrote:

How close were you to the stage?  Could you tell the actors were crying for real, or was it hard to tell from where you were?  During the play part, I mean (if Alec Baldwin was wiping his eyes during the bow, then one would assume, even at a great distance, that it was from genuine emotion!)

I was in row H, pretty close to the stage, but not that close.Honestly I couldn't tell. I would assume all of them were just acting, but they made really sad crying sounds -- that was why I heard some sniffs from the audience. 

Alec Baldwin was wiping his eyes & looked pretty sad during the curtain call, after the play ended (while Ben & Tom looked pretty normal). So one would assume it was genuine, but who really knew? 

Board footera