You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2014 6:53 am  #1

terrified of, but turned on by, vulnerability

Wow.  I had no idea a forum like this existed.  It has been fascinating reading for me, in part because I come at this issue from somewhat of the other angle - that is, while I do enjoy the emotional connection and intimate moment of someone else crying or being emotionally vulnerable with me, my primary "charge" and fantasy is being in a state of such vulnerability with others who WANT such connection with me.  I'm female, by the way, and though I feel things very deeply, I'm more stereotypically male in the sense that I fight hard to hide my vulnerability and not let others in enough to see my tears or raw emotion.  I find it very terrifying, embarrassing, and vulnerable to be exposed in that way, and it doesn't happen very often, although others have tried to elicit it from me at times.

In those rare circumstances where I feel like I might be pushed over that edge with another person, or break down despite all of my efforts to control my emotions, it feels scary and so vulnerable and intimate, but also exciting in a sort of forbidden way.  Because I've always been so tightly controlled, it has been kind of a monumental experience every time I have let those defenses down with another person (and often does result in a sexual bond, as opposed to just an emotional one, though it doesn't have to).  It's one of those things where I fight off the emotional release with every ounce of my being, but a part of me craves it more than anything else - IF I think the other person really does want to be a part of it and see me that vulnerable - which I sometimes have a hard time believing.

It is sexual in some ways, though I have a hard time differentiating the sexual from the emotional.  When I cry (or worse, sob) in front of someone, I feel much more exposed and naked than I would if I only had sex with them, and there is something that feels so deliciously dangerous about it.  It's hard to describe.  Being that vulnerable even when I feel I should be fighting it off feels a lot like giving myself over in sexual intimacy, except it's somewhat more profound.  It doesn't have to result in anything sexual, but I feel sexual overtones with anyone, male or female, who I think genuinely wants to see me that emotionally "naked" and vulnerable for their own benefit, as opposed to just caring about me so being "willing" to be there when I fall apart.  Yet there is definitely something about the struggle itself, trying to fight it off, that adds to my turn-on, and if another person persists and pushes me over that edge, it feels thrilling.

I've never tried to articulate this before, and I've always thought I was very weird for feeling this way.  (That just makes me fight off emotional vulnerability and specifically letting others see me cry all the more - and makes it that much more exciting when that fantasy actually comes true.)  It is not something I have shared with others, and it almost seems that sharing it defeats the purpose.  Because if I admit that I secretly want it (even if a large part of me wants to run from it), it kind of undermines the whole struggle of fighting to keep my composure and polish. 

I'm wondering if anyone else here feels this way, or if it's really all the reverse direction.  I do feel some of the same sensations with regard to other people completely losing control of their emotions with me, but only if it's not something that happens easily or readily and if it involves some element of involuntary exposure and embarrassment, at least initially.  Does this make sense to anyone? 

February 27, 2014 9:43 pm  #2

Re: terrified of, but turned on by, vulnerability

Hi beingvulnerable, welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting this honest and bringing up a new turn into the discussion.
In some ways I feel the same as you do. Especially the part of "don't touch me" or I might become vulnerable. I didn't date because of the emotional downs (there were other reasons of course), because I was afraid of crying, being left by somebody. I never wanted to be too close, because when you keep your distance you are able to escape with some bruises and not with deep scars. I don't remember a single time crying in front of somebody, being an adult except my husband, and that happenes once in five years, when he really drives me to the edge. Maybe it is like an emotional outlet enjoying others in tears.

February 27, 2014 10:33 pm  #3

Greetings and welcome. You are gonna get allot of guys on here very excited because for many of them being the comforter of a woman on a vulnerable state is a fantasy in and if itself.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

February 27, 2014 11:18 pm  #4

Proud to have you on board, beingvulnerable.  And never doubt that you're among friends.

February 27, 2014 11:18 pm  #5

Welcome beingvulnerable, great to have you posting... you bring an interesting discussion to the forum. I've witnessed the side of a person (female friend) on the verge of completely breaking down in tears - eyes welling up, head down, voice wobbling - but really fighting as hard as she could not to start crying. We were in place where others would have probably seen her cry if she had let go of her emotions. I placed a gentle hand on her back as a way of comforting her - but she snapped, don't touch me!! I was quite taken aback - but I realised she was not angry with me it was an immediate reaction to the fact she was really fighting the urge to cry and any comfort would have resulted in her losing the battle and bursting into uncontrollable tears. She did manage to regain her composure, blinked back the tears, but 5 minutes after getting into the car to go home (i.e. a more private place) she was sobbing with tears streaming down her face!

I don't think she would have felt 'excited' in anyway if she had started crying. I think she really did not want to draw attention to herself. But she was clearly comfortable crying in front of close friends just not strangers.

For me... (being a guy) ... I'm not afraid of showing my vulnerable side and crying openly with tears flowing down my face but only with certain people and I think like my female friend only with people I feel I can trust. I would feel dreadful it someone mocked me for crying.

I only get a 'thril' if the other person comforts me by specifically acknowledging my tears, not with words but actions. My wife will wipe/kiss my tears away and I really like that closeness. But I also remember the same female friend from above comforting me in tears, and unexpectedly she very gently brushed the tears from my cheeks - and continued to do this several times. It started to turn me on dispite the fact I was crying!

Last edited by tearhunter (February 27, 2014 11:22 pm)

March 1, 2014 6:12 am  #6

Have you ever stopped a discussion to prevent crying? I am great at this.  Sometimes I am not able to have a normal simple argument because it makes me vulnerable. I am not the rational person who is able to argue with just simple facts if it is something that hurt me. I prefer not to talk about such things because I don't want to see the other person how deeply she hurt me. Crying is like a capitulation, getting angry is ok, shouting... I know it is ridiculous but it is just who I am.

March 5, 2014 12:34 am  #7

WOW you just described me. That's how I've always felt... like if I cried it would be showing a side of me that I don't want people to see. 

March 5, 2014 9:26 pm  #8

Hey 77, wellcome to the forum. Would you mind telling us some more about you? Do you like tears, sobbing, or is it more the thing of not crying yourself? Is it more male or female crying?

March 5, 2014 9:30 pm  #9

Hey 77! , welcome. Can I asks what's the significance of your username? 77 is an interesting choice.you have me curious.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

March 5, 2014 11:43 pm  #10

77, proud t'have you  aboard.  Tell us a little about yourself.  We're a pretty diverse lot, but these are truly kind and friendly folks.

Board footera