You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2014 4:22 pm  #1

"Hell On Wheels" Good/Bad Crying Discussions

The most recent episode of Hell on Wheels  ("Elam Ferguson") featured a gut-wrenching sobbing scene at the end from star Anson Mount and there are some interesting (and infuriating) discussions going on in different forums about whether his crying was "believable" or "unrealistic."  The IMDB thread I've linked below is actually titled, "Did Anyone Laugh..."  Some people just seem to be made so uncomfortable by all-out grief and sobbing that they have to make light of or criticize it.  Fortunately, it looks like a lot of people agree with me, in that the performance was extremely powerful and realistic, and a welcome departure from the usual "one silent tear" thing we usually see in movies and on TV.  
Discussion links here (definite spoilers).  I wish there was a link to the scene, but it's too new.  
http://www.tv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels/community/post/hell-on-wheels-season-4-episode-7-elam-ferguson-review-141021721989/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699748/board/nest/234530774?p=1

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

September 21, 2014 7:09 pm  #2

Re: "Hell On Wheels" Good/Bad Crying Discussions

That was amazing especially considering the character is such a tough guy hasn't cried yet in the series.  The acting was amazing. It was very moving.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

September 22, 2014 7:21 pm  #3

I loved it. Have never watched the show, just went looking for the scene when you wrote about it and was still very moved. I like the desperate feeling he manages to act so beautifully. Something so powerful that he just cant help it. Love the screaming/crying. Thank you for the tip;)

Tears are words the heart can't express...
-unknown-

September 23, 2014 11:19 pm  #4

Where did you find the scene?

Tears are the last gift of true love.

September 24, 2014 12:47 am  #5

It's available here on AMC's website if you are a cable subscriber (it's also On Demand).  The major crying scene is the last few minutes.  
http://www.amctv.com/full-episodes/hell-on-wheels/3775687540001/elam-ferguson

Last edited by Squonk (September 24, 2014 2:33 pm)

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

April 7, 2020 7:04 pm  #6

I think some people criticize or laugh at the more 'raw' crying, because it is so raw and most people aren't used to seeing that level of rawness in male crying so it makes them uncomfortable, and it's easier to ridicule someone's crying as 'laughable' or 'totally unrealistic' than to deal with how it really makes them feel.

I think there's a gendered element in here too. I rarely if ever see these kinds of remarks about women crying.

See also: peoples' reactions to the guy crying in Hereditary.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

April 7, 2020 8:50 pm  #7

PhoebeOnThePhone wrote:

I think some people criticize or laugh at the more 'raw' crying, because it is so raw and most people aren't used to seeing that level of rawness in male crying so it makes them uncomfortable, and it's easier to ridicule someone's crying as 'laughable' or 'totally unrealistic' than to deal with how it really makes them feel.

I think there's a gendered element in here too. I rarely if ever see these kinds of remarks about women crying.

See also: peoples' reactions to the guy crying in Hereditary.

That is why it is reserved to confessionaries, psychologists, and seldom with their s/o.

I see it as a double moral, as if the person criticizing had never done so, even if in private.

April 10, 2020 4:53 am  #8

I like how he cries as if he can't remember how.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

Board footera