You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2017 1:53 am  #1

sometimes you can just tell

I hung out socially with someone this weekend, a friend of a friend, and you know how sometimes you can just tell that someone tears up easily? Like it's way too easy to imagine?

This friend is a guy in his early 20s, ~5 years younger than the rest of us, and he has these big, wide eyes, and immediately I got the impression that tears were just under the surface, quick to fill his eyes. AND I WAS RIGHT. At dinner one night, he was laughing really hard and something and had to use his napkin to dab at his eyes, and the next day we were in the car and he was laughing again to the point of tears, and used his fingers to wipe them away. Now, don't get me wrong, we're a pretty funny bunch, but no one else was laughing to that point, and certainly not twice in a day. 

Has anyone else ever been right about the way someone is going to cry? 

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

July 24, 2017 2:38 am  #2

Re: sometimes you can just tell

I always do that. Try to imagine how someone cries. How little or much it takes him to get there. Especially if I like the guy. It's kind of a hobby. But even if I think that someone cries easily I always think I just presumed wrong. Don't know why.

"it doesn't take a lot of straingh to hang on, it takes a lot of straingh to let go" 

July 24, 2017 4:00 am  #3

Re: sometimes you can just tell

I definitely find myself gauging that, consciously or unconsciously. I'm often right, too.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

Board footera