You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 5:01 pm  #1

Dear Evan Hansen, Ben Platt cries while singing and its magic!

Edit: A wonderful person added a video link below....oh em gee. Never mind the dacryphilia. If you watch/ listen to this without crying yourself you need a pulse check

Sadly there's no video just audio.  Everyone i know whi has seen the sow says he cries so much durring this number that he has snot dripping down his face with the tears.  He does this night after night and somehow still sings. 
This is the cast recording.  He cried dieting the recirxing as well and you can hear it.  It's so raw.  But I'm. told its nothing like when he's crying live.
Still the sound is amazing and the song is heartbreaking a ff his voice is wow.
https://youtu.be/RKP9UdIcXFk

Last edited by inmyarmsagain (November 2, 2017 1:11 am)

November 1, 2017 9:41 pm  #2

Re: Dear Evan Hansen, Ben Platt cries while singing and its magic!

Here's a treat for you, love. Go to this site, close all the pop-ups that come up, and it is a live taping of DEH. Page 2 (the link below) has that song-scene start at around 41 min - to the end. He really is incredible! Enjoy! 

http://stagedork.com/pages/watch.php?id=59&vidid=144#

BTW - there are TONS of other shows on this website that were recorded live...enjoy, everyone!

November 1, 2017 10:53 pm  #3

Thanks! He's a unicorn of some kind.  I sing too.  Ppl have no idea how technically difficult it is to sing while crying, let alone sing that well.  And he does it as part of a day at work.

November 1, 2017 10:56 pm  #4

missyjdma wrote:

Here's a treat for you, love. Go to this site, close all the pop-ups that come up, and it is a live taping of DEH. Page 2 (the link below) has that song-scene start at around 41 min - to the end. He really is incredible! Enjoy! 

http://stagedork.com/pages/watch.php?id=59&vidid=144#

BTW - there are TONS of other shows on this website that were recorded live...enjoy, everyone!

Omg those close ups...

Last edited by inmyarmsagain (November 1, 2017 11:02 pm)

November 1, 2017 11:15 pm  #5

Lol... I'm glad you liked it. When his mother holds him, it breaks my heart! I am also a singer - used to audition for Broadway. Did tons of national tours, cabarets, off-Broadway, summer stock and dinner theatre! LOL...I don't do it anymore, but it is SOOOO hard to sing and cry. See if you can find the interview with Ben and Stephen Colbert...he talks about it, and how his voice teacher got him through it. I'm glad you enjoyed it! 
BTW, if you watch Falsettos with Christian Borle and Andrew Rannells, there is a lot of crying in that - towards the end. Enjoy!

November 1, 2017 11:17 pm  #6

I saw that interview.  Aside from that many fellow actors have been blown away by his ability to recreate the same emotional intensity every single night.  That's really rare to be that consistent.  And i imagine exhausting.

November 1, 2017 11:18 pm  #7

I relate to this show a million ways. I was the awkward socially inept dork with the overactive imagination in hs.
Now I'm the mother of A teen i just can't seem to reach.

November 4, 2017 11:14 pm  #8

Missy, I find that his explanation in that interview of how he does this,  working with his coach on where to breathe, where to swallow the snot ect while cry singing doesn't explain about the physical effects of crying.  The sinuses getting inflamed, Nasal passages swelling shut, vocal chords getting irritated... especially the potential cumulative effect of crying intensely every day, which would result in chronically inflamed tissue for most people, plus rehearsals and matinee days. He's leaving the role in a few days, a role he's been crying in for years across 3 productions.  I don't know if any other performer can duplicate not only the empirical intensity and technical skill but the consistancy of nailing it every single performance which is rare among even the best performers. Most people have an occasional off day.  I find i can't stop listening to this. It's haunting me.

November 4, 2017 11:53 pm  #9

Hi Inmyarmsagain! I know, right? He is amazing. And I believe I heard him say that the emotional toll was why he was leaving. He actually knocked down his Broadway performances to only do evenings, and had the understudies do the matinees. I honestly couldn't tell you what that type of role would do to me! I also can imagine, however, that on the positive flipside, it is also very cathartic. As for others being able to do this as well as Ben, I am not sure. His understudies may present the roles different ways, but I am almost positive that this particular scene/song HAS to be done while crying. I am not familiar with the boys doing the roles now, but from what I hear, his past understudies were very good! As for the show itself, the whole thing haunts me - I wish there had been a musical like this when I was growing up. I'm in my 40s now, but still...every single song speaks to me. Incredible! 

November 5, 2017 3:45 am  #10

I can't imagine the emotional toll is why he's leaving.  He's been in this role since the first reading. Its been 4 and a half years that he's been in Evan's head. His contract is up and he's not renewing it although the rest of the cast is.  And he only reduced his schedule for the last few weeks.  It's been planned like this since August. 
I really do think the show won't last long without him.  He's been all the buzz and the center of all the promos.

Board footera