You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2012 11:39 pm  #1

Theater Obs (Death of a Salesman, M)

Okay, so, this just occurred to me to post this, because I saw Salesman back in February, but I figured it was about time. (Incidentally, I made sure my friend and I got first row seats because I know the play, so I was expecting the crying scenes, so, yeah).

Anyway, Andrew Garfield is PHENOMENAL. Like, I love him anyway, but I have never seen any actor cry so convincingly in my entire life - in movies, in plays, anywhere.

Basically, there were two scenes where he teared up - his voice got shaky, and from where we were sitting I could see tears in his eyes - and two where he *completely* broke down.

The first one is the scene where he finds his father having the affair, and... oh my God. He was just kind of standing there with his mouth wide open, and then the tears started splashing onto the stage. It was kind of incredible, actually, and I think I just sort of gaped at him. He bawled really, really loudly, and for a long time, and his face was completely convulsing, and then - I can't imagine how difficult this was to do - he had one calm scene, and then had to come back and do the next break down scene. Eek. I can't even imagine that.

The second scene in a way is almost sadder, because although we didn't get to see his face (his father was holding him), his sobs were audible again and I stared a bit too attentively to see if his shoulders were shaking, which it looked like they were, but I couldn't tell. Also, two fun facts - my friend and I waited at the stage door, and when he came out to sign our stuff, his eyes were red and puffy; and two, all of the women sitting around us were crying pretty obviously by the end - like making sniffly noises and wiping at their faces and stuff.

Anyway, yeah, it was lovely! I have a couple of other good theater obs too (most plays have at least one good moment in them, if you sit close enough to get a look at the actors' eyes), though none quite as good as this one.

May 10, 2012 2:42 am  #2

Re: Theater Obs (Death of a Salesman, M)

I find this obs so hot!!  It sort of gives me hope!  While good talent like that isn't found everywhere (and front row seats aren't always easy to get), this was an amazing way to get to see live male crying, and in theory is feasible for almost anybody to achieve.  I do have a thing about crying actors, because it's a guilt-free way to see crying, and I love watching them use their talents to reproduce it on demand (see my last fic, haha... it may almost be a new sub-kink within my kink).  From the sounds of it, I would have been blown away by this performance.  Great that you could see such detail from your seat!

More theatre obs, please?  I need to start figuring out which plays have the best crying scenes in them and then hunt them down locally... 

May 10, 2012 2:53 am  #3

PaperThings wrote:

He was just kind of standing there with his mouth wide open, and then the tears started splashing onto the stage.

OMG, this part is still making me weak in the knees... tears splashing on a stage??  Wow. 

PaperThings wrote:

my friend and I waited at the stage door, and when he came out to sign our stuff, his eyes were red and puffy

And this.  The after-effect is hot!!  Plus, getting to see it that close up and personal, PLUS the interesting contrast between signing autographs (a happy type of scenario) while having these lingering signs of previous "sadness" in the eyes. 

OK, I'm done now. 

Last edited by woundedpuppy (May 10, 2012 2:54 am)

May 10, 2012 11:04 pm  #4

Yeah, the tears were just... I mean, I've definitely seen actors cry before, but *nothing* - *nothing* - like this. It was so just overwhelming I did a double take.

And yeah, the poor guy couldn't even smile at the audience during bows, and he seemed kind of exhausted during autographs (but he sounded perfectly calm and nice).

I'll definitely post the other two (and a half), although none of them were anything as intense/realistic as this. Whereas I think people in the back rows  could probably have understood Andrew was crying, for some of the others you would have really needed a good look at their faces. But yeah, a list of shows with good crying scenes is a great idea as well. I can definitely, definitely contribute a bunch to that.

May 11, 2012 12:36 am  #5

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/theater/theaterspecial/andrew-garfield-on-playing-biff-loman-and-spider-man.html

If you're interested, he talks about it a little in this article (and was sick during the interview!!). He says that he and Philip Seymour Hoffman bonded because through the crying scenes <3.

May 11, 2012 3:09 am  #6

Wowwww... that is SO HOT when he talks about bonding through crying.

May 11, 2012 5:51 pm  #7

Ahhh incredible! I want to see it!

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

Board footera