You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2012 4:54 am  #1

A "Suits" Fiction

Don't know if anyone else watches Suits, but I would love to see this happen.  Let me know what you think.

The courthouse was silent, defendants and counselors long having deserted the hallways.  She and Mike had stood outside the doors to the courtroom, silently debating between each other who would enter.  Donna knew it had to be her; they had been through so much together.  Both having come to the same conclusion, Donna nodded ever so slightly as she locked eyes with Mike.  He squeezed her hand lightly as he turned to go, and she faced forward staring at the lone figure in the courtroom as she absently listened to the clicks of Mike’s shoes fade.  Taking a steadying breath, she prepared herself and pushed open the heavy wood door.

The solitude in the courtroom was palpable with the soothing mechanical hum of the air conditioner the only sound.  He did not react to her entrance.  She tread lightly, but the tapping of her heels still seemed intrusive. Harvey Spector still sat facing the judge’s bench, in the same position he had been since the trial had ended hours ago.  He looked as if he hadn’t moved since the jury had come back with the guilty verdict, still maintaining the same downward gaze had had resolutely held as they led his brother away, refusing or unable to look his brother in the eye as the younger man had pleaded for his help. 

She caught a glimpse of him as she crossed in front of the table.  Had she not prepared herself, she would have inhaled slightly.  His best suit and white shirt were still crisp and pristine, with his special lavender tie still impeccably tied, but his eyes and face betrayed him.  He was somehow gaunt, with dark circles under his eyes that had not been there before opening statements.  His lips, usually in a cocky smile were drawn into a taught straight line, and his eyes alternated between stormy and lost.  She had never seen him like this, and her heart ached for him.  She fought her first instinct, which was to throw her arms around him in a desperate attempt to ease some of his pain, but she knew after so many years that would be the last thing he wanted from her.  He needed her to be the same rock of strength he always depended on, and she was determined to give him that.

Gently and silently, she eased into the chair next to him and inspected the judge’s bench in front of them for a while.  She felt simply her presence not enough of a gesture of comfort.  Wordlessly, she placed her hand gingerly over one of his that was resting on the table.  Without looking at him, she thought words of comfort and strength, hoping to communicate these things to him without the conversation he would not want to have. 

Harvey Spector moved for the first time in hours, leaning forward ever so slightly.  Donna stole a glance at him, and though she recovered quickly, she could not conceal her shock.  Resting his elbow on the table, Harvey’s free hand was now covering eyes.  Tears trickled through his fingers, and caught the dim lighting of the remaining lights in the courtroom as he allowed them to fall unchecked to the table.  The edges of his mouth were pulled almost imperceptibly down, but the rest of his face was devoid of expression. In the years they had worked together, she had never heard so much as his voice break let alone this.   It seemed almost unfathomable the despair he must have felt to produce this response. 

Somehow, she knew there was no need for words; in fact their presence would have been intrusive.  Instead, she offered him her presence, and let him draw strength from her.  His tears continued to make slow rivulets down his fingers and dampened the cuff of his sleeve.  After a few moments, he leaned ever so slightly in her direction, as if needed more of her touch than just her fingers.  Instinctively, she snaked her arm around his back and lightly drew him toward her.  He rested his head on her shoulder and leaned against her, allowing her to be his strength and support.  She bit her lip to control her own emotions, rested her head on his, and wordlessly continued to stare straight ahead.  She listened to his soft ragged breathing, and felt his tears on her shoulder.  They would stay like this for a long time, her offering him gentle comfort and strength while still allowing him to maintain his quiet dignity.  He knew at that moment that she always had been, was, and always would be his rock, the only person who truly knew and understood the man who was Harvey Spector.

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

July 25, 2012 12:35 pm  #2

Re: A "Suits" Fiction

I don't know the show, but awesome job writing the scene!  I love that there's more fanfic happening on the forum lately!  Thanks for sharing.

If I ever find myself with some spare time, perhaps I'll write a short fic with Don Draper from Mad Men.

July 25, 2012 8:07 pm  #3

Re: A "Suits" Fiction

I haven't seen the show, but i saw trailers for it and actually the first thing I wondered, haha, is if there were any good crying scenes! You did an awesome job with this.

I may write fanfiction at some point... writing regular fiction for it doesn't appeal to me as much, unless it were on characters in my larger projects, because for me so much of the enjoyment is the connection to the person's personality, so yeah.

Fantastic story!

Board footera