You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2012 2:55 pm  #1

Observation... kind of

Recently I went to see one of my favourite musical theatre shows. (Daren't say which one  ).
I love this show and find the music and story quite emotional although it rarely makes me cry. I was also fortunate enough to have front row seats so had an amazing view.
When the show started I was so thrilled and excited to be there and also moved to hear the live orchestra that my lip trembled and my eyes filled with tears. I remember thinking, yikes I'm already getting emotional and it hasn't even started yet lol. I didn't cry actual tears though, as I managed to calm down and then settled into watching the show. A few further points during the show a got a but of a lump in my throat. However at the very end, when the last line was sung, I felt this emotion wash over me. It was not only the beautiful music/story but also the fact that the show was coming to an end and I was not sure when I would see it again. My lip trembled again and my vision blurred. I really though for a moment it was going to be full on tears but once again I calmed down relatively quickly and no tears actually fell. I found this interesting as I was not particularly trying to hold back the tears and yet, despite feeling very emotional, the tears did not fall.
Not much of an observation really, but to add to it... as I had front row seats I got a great view of the actors faces. One of the female leads had to do a crying scene early on in the show and I could actually see real tears streaming down her face! She physically had to wipe them away and she was making crying sounds and crumpling her face up, a very real performance. What a great actress.

Crying does not indicate you are weak, since birth it has been a sign that you are alive.

September 5, 2012 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Observation... kind of

I felt the same way while watching Brave at the cinema last sunday. And i usually don't cry at movies no matter how dramatic they are. I mean i saw quite a bunch of them that jerk tears out of even the toughest The Champ for example, Magnolia, Term of Enderament, Titanic to name just a few. But this time the scene where her mum returns to normal and kisses Merrida made me choke up. The same , big tears looming, sweat and lump in my throuth but i managed to hold up somehow. It seems it has happened  for some time now, I really can't tell why, because a few years ago movies didn't make me have those kind of instant reactions. I wonder whether i become more emotional with age ( now i'm 25) or it's the pills i take ( contraceptives)?

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

September 5, 2012 10:09 pm  #3

Psychic, I had the same reaction to Brave, and also to The Joy Luck Club.  In my case, I'm certain it's because my mother and I had a contentious relationship that was never completely healed.  Oddly enough, I did NOT cry at her memorial service - of course, I took half a Xanax beforehand - but even now I find myself weeping at odd moments for no particular reason, mostly when I think about her.

It's weird, but I can feel the tears beginning to form even as I type this.  I'm going to have to hold off for now, since I'm at work and they frown upon emotional displays during working hours.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

September 5, 2012 10:17 pm  #4

I'm sorry to hear that, that your employers don't let you display your emotions whenever you feel. I want to add that I too had a contentious time with my mother  the week before i saw Brave. We had lots of arguments and i yelled at her and raged out of trifles ( because she criticizes me too much) and after that i didn't feel much sorrow although i should. It was kept in my subconscious and i guess the movie triggered my guilt and pain that i didn't want to face before..It was quite a knock  on my poor conscience...

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

Board footera