You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2012 7:26 pm  #1

Thinking about changing to forum name

Something more straight forward like crying fetish forum. What do you think? Also, I'm wondering if I should purchase a domain name for this forum. Apparently it's about $20 a year. Think it's worth it?

Ugly crying is pretty crying

November 24, 2012 12:54 am  #2

Re: Thinking about changing to forum name

I think it's worth it to purchase the domain name, and I don't see a problem with changing the name. I mean, there's no getting around it, we ARE a fetish forum. No need to disguise it.

November 24, 2012 2:24 am  #3

I second what carrotcake said -- worth it.

November 24, 2012 4:08 am  #4

Doesn't someone (tearhunter???) already own cryingfetishforum.com? That's how I get to this site, since it's easy to remember and I don't want to bookmark the site, lol. I'm all for getting us as far away as possible from board hosting services, given how we got the rug pulled out from under us at proboards.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

November 24, 2012 5:29 am  #5

I agree I think it's a good idea, TorNorth.

November 24, 2012 9:56 am  #6

meantangerine wrote:

Doesn't someone (tearhunter???) already own cryingfetishforum.com? That's how I get to this site, since it's easy to remember and I don't want to bookmark the site, lol. I'm all for getting us as far away as possible from board hosting services, given how we got the rug pulled out from under us at proboards.

Yes, I already own cryingfetishforum.com so we can use this if we wish - I got it for £19.98 a year - which is about $32 USD - .com domain names are always that bit more expensive than a national domain name like .co.uk but given we are trying to capture a global audience a .com is best.

Are we able to change the forum domain name? I'm assuming boardhost will allow us to do this. This change will not get us away from a board hosting service - currently we still need a forum host to run the forum software. It is possible to get our own hosting and purchase forum software but that's a much bigger investment and technically challenging - I'd need to investigate how we do it if we want to go down this route. It would be nice to have control and not have the rug pulled from us again but might be a bit tricky in the short term.

November 24, 2012 2:47 pm  #7

Oh right, it's all coming back to me now.  These free forum hosts (Boardhost, Proboards, etc.) all seem to have an official rule about sex-related content.  They DON'T want people running sex sites -- that's why a big effort was made to give the forum an alternate name and to keep the content of posts tame.  Tearhunter's domain was basically designed as a way around the problem for the proboards forum, while still giving us the cool domain name (and first impression) that we really wanted.

I guess if there's a potential risk of shutdown involved, I'll retract my opinion from the previous post (though do whatever you want, of course, since it's your board).  The sad thing about proboards is that they canned us, didn't give us a chance to change anything or save anything, and didn't even say why they canned us.  So lame.  I don't know how boardhost operates, though.

November 24, 2012 3:54 pm  #8

Okay, yeah, I definitely think that's something to take into consideration. In theory, I still like the idea, but I can see that it would be tricky. I don't know a whole lot about board hosting, but I'm sure that Boardhost has similar rules about sex-related forums. I definitely don't want to risk losing a forum again.

November 24, 2012 4:24 pm  #9

Ahhh, I completely forgot about TH's cover page lol. That's fine then. I also agree with WP's point about sex related forums. I now remember why I called it cryinglovers in the first place. Probably best to keep it that, then.

Last edited by TorNorth (November 24, 2012 4:25 pm)

Ugly crying is pretty crying

November 26, 2012 12:17 am  #10

Personally, I'm more comfortable with the name Crying Lovers than Crying Fetish.  When I first started looking for something like this, I was turned off by the idea of "Fetish", when I was thinking it was more an emotional quirk of mine.  It in no way relates, in my mind, sexually.  I'm not physically turned on by people crying or by tears - it's much more an emotional empathy thing with me.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

Board footera