You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2013 8:00 pm  #1

Crying and Comforting Postures

I was randomly searching for "celebrities crying" and was immediately sucked in by this very brief clip of Richard Simmons.  I don't normally find him attractive, but aww -- the body postures in this clip really spoke to me, I guess.  Two people facing each other, all four arms reached out in front, woman holding man’s hand, man's head tipped down slightly as he starts crying, her stroking or squeezing his hand as he continues talking...

4:12 - 4:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZASgWWZlEQ

Actually, Richard Simmons has cried in pretty much every TV appearance I've seen over the years, so I’m sure not much has changed...  

Those postures gives the impression (whether true or not) of deep listening and deep connection between two people, which is a big thing for me.  Wish that clip wasn’t cut off.  Anyway, what I’m saying is, if anyone has any other videos of a woman and emotional man sitting with their arms outstretched or holding hands, please pass along!  I am thinking of a scene right now with Jim Carrey in The Mask that might be a bit like that... 

May 13, 2013 1:12 am  #2

Re: Crying and Comforting Postures

Aww, found a lovely example of it by typing "comforting" in Google Images, but it's of children doing it, so I won't bother posting.  Also confirmed The Mask scene (I own the DVD), but if I want to take a screen cap of that, I'm going to have to get an annonymous Photobucket account or something, so might not get around to it... although I might... maybe it would make a nice wallpaper for my laptop... 

May 13, 2013 4:02 am  #3

I do the same with both images and videos.  Words I've used in the past are "Grief" or "Grieving", "Comfort" or "Comforting", and "Emotional".

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

May 13, 2013 6:07 pm  #4

I like that posture too! It's definitely the one I would use for comforting most people (except my bf, where I would get up and hug him more closely). I also like the posture in which the comforter sits beside the crying person and puts his or her arm around the shoulders.

May 13, 2013 10:47 pm  #5

I bet that particular pose (the one I mentioned) is actually more common in real life than in movies right now.  Thinking of crying scenes I've watched in recent months, I can picture people crying alone, people crying together with someone's arm on a shoulder or something, or even hugging... but sitting down facing each other and holding hands while having a good heart-to-heart, not so much.  There is almost something sweet and innocent about it.  Although my thoughts are far from innocent about it... 

Last edited by woundedpuppy (May 13, 2013 10:49 pm)

May 15, 2013 5:22 am  #6

I also like the thought of reaching across the table (perhaps during a meal?) to put my hand over the man's in a comforting gesture. I would sort of stroke the hand and hold it a little while he talked to offer reassurance that I was there to listen. If he got more emotional, I would probably get up and walk around to the other side of the table, perhaps bringing my chair with me. I think that would be a good scene to both watch and be involved in.

May 16, 2013 2:50 pm  #7

I like the hugging posture when a guy cries, i want to take him by suprise and hug him from the back and touch the cheeks with my face and feel that moisture...i guess i'm a hardcore comforter

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

May 22, 2013 1:39 am  #8

Hahaha, this is just too sweet not to post here.  Such a cute and unexpected context for a crying clip.  I found the hand-holding posture again (if only briefly), again with a young Richard S, and again with crying (and tissues).  I think he's pretty much faking it this time, but you can see the woman's tears are real and you can tell it was HIS reaction that got her crying in the first place!  I think he probably genuinely feels emotional whenever he cries, but just lets all the visible 'stuff' happen at the first signs of it, so the emotion doesn't necessarily build very high or to the point of tears, BUT you do get to witness all the dramatics as though it had (and I love dramatics, LOL).

You really have to watch it build from 1:09 to feel the momentum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=a7xnV8i4cG4

Last edited by woundedpuppy (May 22, 2013 1:45 am)

Board footera