You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2011 6:43 pm  #1

My pet hate as a film lover

This forum doesn't have much in it so I thought I'd post a bit of a rant!

As a film fan I have a number 1 pet hate. Namely films that are marketed as one title, but called something else on the actual film itself. For example the Twilight sequels on the posters and merchandising all use the unnecessary handle 'The Twilight Saga', but omit this on the film's print. This is unnecessary because on all the posters for the sequels they use the lead actors and the same Twilight style font, so essentially they are effectively saying that the fans are idiots and need reminding that it's a Twilight movie

Other films that have different titles on the film's print include; Santa Claus (marketed as Santa Claus: The Movie), Little Fockers (marketed as Meet The Parents: Little Fockers), and most infamously Saw 3D which still retains this title on the 2D version!!

What makes this even more annoying is that apparently on the BBFC website this isn't allowed!!

This is pedantic I know, but we all have small things that just completely annoy us I'm quite sure

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

November 9, 2011 12:09 am  #2

Re: My pet hate as a film lover

I feel the opposite regarding the title. I'm a big geek when it comes to maintaining series titles. You might aware of another vampire book series called Darren Shan. In Britain the series is called "The Saga of Darren Shan". But when the books went to America, they named the entire series after the title of the first book (Cirque Du Freak). I was a bit annoyed at first, but then I though any series title is better than none. When the movie adaptation came out it was called "Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant". If there is a sequel it will be called "Cirque Du Freak: [Title]". I very much appreciate titling it like that.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

November 9, 2011 9:50 am  #3

Sometimes though when you get a long title though it always gets shortened by fans of that movie like the recent Transformers movie for example. Most people would call it Dark Side Of The Moon, even though officially it's title is 'Transformers Dark Side Of The Moon'. But I do get your point.

Another major example is an Oscar winning movie that came out in 2009. It was originally going to be called 'Push' but it had to be called something else, so we just name it after the main character right. But no. It's onscreen title is the monumentally ridiculous 'Precious (Base Nol De Saf) (Based on the Novel 'Push' By Sapphire)'

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

November 10, 2011 2:31 am  #4

My pet peeve with films is the excessive use of gerunds, e.g.  Being John Malkovich, Going the Distance, Raising Arizona (now I can't think of others, of course).
Oh, and also one syllable, aggressive titles: Drive, Push, Crash, etc.
Don't know why, those two things just really irritate me.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

November 10, 2011 1:30 pm  #5

I guess my pet hate is the fast, hushed, violin music in action movies these days. The biggest culprits are the likes of "The Dark Knight". I miss the days when the music was big, loud and epic.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

Board footera