You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2014 7:07 pm  #1

Richard E. Grant: "Jack and Sarah"

Before this movie devolves into a sweet but somewhat generic rom-com, it has a pretty heavy opening in which Richard E. Grant's character deals with the death of his wife in childbirth and has three crying scenes.  Can't see a lot of tears, but the heavy emotion is there.  In real life, Grant had a daughter who was stillborn, so this can't have been an easy subject for him.  
In his memoir Grant talks about being offered "menthol" during filming of "Withnail and I."  He thought he was being offered cigarettes, then was told that it was for his eyes, to produce fake tears,  He declined, noting that crying on cue is easy for him.  He also talks about being an easy crier in real life. 
It's too bad he mostly does comedies.  
The scenes are at 14:04, 17:14 and 39:48.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

September 23, 2014 8:26 pm  #2

Re: Richard E. Grant: "Jack and Sarah"

He also tears up at 1:17:00 while talking.

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

September 24, 2014 2:42 pm  #3

Re: Richard E. Grant: "Jack and Sarah"

Oh God, that's a beautiful speech.  I can't believe I forgot that.  Thanks for noting it.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

Board footera