You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2011 11:48 pm  #1

Unexpected observation

So I was on the bus this afternoon, when this woman came in and sat somewhere behind me. She was arguing with someone on the phone the whole time, talking about what sounded like deep resentments (most likely with an ex). As she argued her voice started to shake, and then in broke. Eventually she was sobbing so much that she could barely talk. It drove me nuts because I was too polite to turn around and see what her lips looked like in the more intense sobbing moments. Oh, well.

Last edited by TorNorth (November 24, 2011 11:48 pm)

Ugly crying is pretty crying

November 25, 2011 3:32 am  #2

Re: Unexpected observation

I envy you, TorNorth.  That must have been a tease of an experience, but still sounds like a good one.  I would have not been as polite as you, however, and at least turned around for a while just to catch the slightest glimpse.

November 25, 2011 12:56 pm  #3

I stole a glance as I was getting off the bus. She wasn't crying very hard at that point, though.

November 26, 2011 12:02 pm  #4

I enjoy these kind of observations - when you had a quick look did she have any visible tears on her face?

I remember seeing a woman crying on the train a few years back and was amazed (and pleased) to witness tears rolling down her face unchecked.
My wife has cried in public a few times and she has also allowed tears to fall unchecked - I love it when women tell their tears flow.

I asked her why she didn't wipe her tears away - she didn't really know why she just said I was upset.

November 26, 2011 7:09 pm  #5

Her face was looking wet, her eyes were red and expressive, but I don't recall any visible tears.

No lower lip curl either

November 27, 2011 3:34 pm  #6

These kinds of moments are both exciting and frustrating.  I have one myself, from 10 years ago, where I was too polite to stare at the crier (if I knew back then how much crying would mean to me later in life and how rare observations would be for me, I would definitely have made more of an effort to steal a glance!  Not to mention a hug as well!!)  But the one upside is that, even if she wasn't a lip curler, you'll never know that, so you can just imagine her however you like.

Board footera