You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2015 5:21 pm  #1

Clunky Movie Titles

So, I went to see George Clooney's new movie today. It was really enjoyable actually, a little overlong but very pleasant.  It was a shame that Britt Robertson's character had neither a crying scene or her hair in a ponytail but that's another story.

My main gripe about the movie was it's title,  which was Disney Tomorrowland A World Beyond. Now this isn't the first movie to have such a title. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was another example, but it's supremely irritating. There is no earthly reason why it couldn't simply be called Tomorrowland. That's what everybody is going to call it for heaven's sake!

Oh and stop telling us the title More Than Once. We know what film/digital capture we are watching you don't have to tell us the title again two or three times during the end credits!!!

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

May 24, 2015 2:05 pm  #2

Re: Clunky Movie Titles

Yeah, I definitely get what you mean. A lot of movies have super long titles that aren't even necessary. However, I believe Hunger Games: Catching Fire is called that because it's the sequel to the original Hunger Games.

"Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them."
-Veronica Roth

May 26, 2015 10:33 am  #3

That is probably the reason, but calling it The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is in my opinion unnecessary in that context, because it seems to imply that despite a) A poster having Jennifer Lawrence on it with a similar background to the previous film b) A trailer that gets considerable airplay c) Massive hype surrounding it's release and d) The fact that it's based on a best selling book,  we are too thick to realize that it's the sequel to The Hunger Games

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

May 27, 2015 11:13 pm  #4

True, calling it "Catching Fire" would be a lot more simple.

"Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them."
-Veronica Roth

June 11, 2015 8:36 pm  #5

Probably because franchises are planned in advanced these days, and therefore they want to give a franchise title as well as a specific title for the movie. I agree it's kind of annoying. As well as quite arrogant.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

Board footera