You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2011 11:19 pm  #1

Salty tears question.

Hey All,
I have a question when I cry I always have salty tears, does anyone know why this happens and does it happen to you? Also sometimes if I cry a lot my eyes can sting, I was just wondering if anyone knew why this happens? Thanks guys.

Last edited by raindance85 (December 13, 2011 11:20 pm)

December 14, 2011 3:17 am  #2

Re: Salty tears question.

Found this answer to your question, I think it's pretty sound.
http://www.strangequestions.com/question/213/Why-are-tears-salty.html

I haven't felt tears stinging my eyes before after I've been crying a lot, but I have felt them sting a little right when I'm about to cry. I'm guessing that has something to do with the salt content.

Last edited by meantangerine (December 14, 2011 3:20 am)

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

December 14, 2011 3:42 am  #3

meantangerine wrote:

Found this answer to your question, I think it's pretty sound.
http://www.strangequestions.com/question/213/Why-are-tears-salty.html

I haven't felt tears stinging my eyes before after I've been crying a lot, but I have felt them sting a little right when I'm about to cry. I'm guessing that has something to do with the salt content.

That's interesting meantangerine. Thanks for that.

December 14, 2011 7:06 pm  #4

meantangerine beat me too it!   

I think both my wife and I have very salty tears - a couple of times when my wife has cried herself to sleep I've noticed white marks around her eyes and face in the morning which is where tears have dried and left the salt behind.

I've also wondered about the levels of salt and other chemicals in tears when people cry.
If my wife has not cried for a period of time - say a couple of months - her tears can look cloudy, as if they contain something. If she cries for a long time or several times over the course of a few days her tears seam to become crystal clear!

I've noiced this in another female friend but on the occasions I've seen my tears in the mirror they are aways clear.

Has anyone else noticed this strange effect?

December 16, 2011 4:46 am  #5

This is very interesting to me, I've never noticed this effect before.  I did know that tears are naturally salty, and that's often what causes the sensation of stinging in the eyes, but I didn't know that some people had that much salt in their tears. 

Perhaps, if people have really salty tears, they might be a little dehydrated, causing their tears to have more salt than usual and slightly less water?  Just a theory, I have no evidence to back this idea up.

December 16, 2011 8:29 am  #6

thedreamer wrote:

This is very interesting to me, I've never noticed this effect before.  I did know that tears are naturally salty, and that's often what causes the sensation of stinging in the eyes, but I didn't know that some people had that much salt in their tears. 

Perhaps, if people have really salty tears, they might be a little dehydrated, causing their tears to have more salt than usual and slightly less water?  Just a theory, I have no evidence to back this idea up.

Thats a very interesting thought made me think about salty tears and dehydration hmm, thanks. I wonder if it is a theory?

Last edited by raindance85 (December 16, 2011 8:31 am)

Board footera