You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2016 3:13 am  #1

Oldie but goodie, James Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

March 17, 2016 3:36 am  #2

Re: Oldie but goodie, James Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life

It is always lovely when one finds male crying scenes dating from an era when (supposedly) men were told constantly that it wasn't "manly" to cry. 

Another Jimmy Stewart crying moment I love (though I don't know if you'll find an image of it online) is the one in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

March 17, 2016 5:47 am  #3

Actually, (said the Mistress of Trivia), Stewart wasn't supposed to cry but spontaneously began to shed tears. The scene was shot in medium range (roughly from the waist up) and Frank Capra liked the scene so much he went into the lab and hand enlarged each frame of the film to close-up range. Given that it's 24 frames per second, that was a LOT of work, especially back before digital processing.  And both Capra and Stewart said it was their favorite of all their films.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 17, 2016 3:36 pm  #4

Not directly on topic, but how do you post images in this forum?  I seem to be able to post links but not pictures. 

March 17, 2016 6:54 pm  #5

When you go to post a reply, there's a litle blue/green square in the 'options' bar. It's the thing in the red square in this photo, with the arrow pointing to it. The actual blue square won't have the arrow or red box around it.
You click that square, and enter your image url in the dialog box that will pop up. Ta da!

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

March 18, 2016 12:51 am  #6

I LOVE this scene and this movie and Stewart's performance.  The film has a sappy reputation, but until the happy ending, it's pretty dark.  This scene is such a rarity for its era.  You could probably count on one hand the number of male actors who actually cried on camera back then (and for many years afterward).  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

March 18, 2016 12:51 am  #7

PhoebeOnThePhone wrote:

When you go to post a reply, there's a litle blue/green square in the 'options' bar. It's the thing in the red square in this photo, with the arrow pointing to it. The actual blue square won't have the arrow or red box around it.
You click that square, and enter your image url in the dialog box that will pop up. Ta da!

Thanks for explaining that for me!

March 18, 2016 12:53 am  #8

White Tulip, where does he cry in "Mr. Smith"?  That's one of my favorite movies, but I don't remember tears.  

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

March 18, 2016 12:59 am  #9

Squonk wrote:

White Tulip, where does he cry in "Mr. Smith"?  That's one of my favorite movies, but I don't remember tears.  

It's in the scene where he's by himself at night, talking to Lincoln's statue in front of the Lincoln Memorial.  He's discouraged and sad at that point in the film, and then Jean Arthur's character comes along and tries to cheer him.  I've looked for an image of this online but can't find one, unfortunately. 

Edited to add:  I think maybe the tears aren't quite as obvious in the scene from Mr. Smith as they are in the scene from It's a Wonderful Life, but they are there, and I believe you see him wipe his eyes as well.

Last edited by White Tulip (March 18, 2016 1:11 am)

March 18, 2016 1:41 am  #10

Found it!  He's definitely crying.  Beautiful scene.  
I can't get the image to appear via link to Google Drive or Pinterest, but I added it to my Pinterest board:  
https://www.pinterest.com/sydcarton/gallery-of-crying-men-actors/  

Board footera