You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2016 8:06 pm  #1

Love this article on the "ugly cry"

I always roll my eyes when (usually) women post photos or videos of themselves with an expressionless face with a squeezes out tear and write: "me doing the ugly cry."

This article is a good study of what the phrase actually means. It even made a valiant effort to describe the thing I call the "lip curl". This was incomplete, but I got a kick out of it all the same.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/03/anatomy-of-the-ugly-cry.html

Ugly crying is pretty crying

April 12, 2016 2:36 am  #2

Re: Love this article on the "ugly cry"

Excellent article!

April 12, 2016 9:00 am  #3

Very interesting, have to say out with this forum very few women (and probably men) say they look attractive when they cry. Almost all will say they look ugly crying. I remember a work colleague years ago announcing that she looked ugly as tears rolled down her cheeks with stunning wet blue eyes - fact is in my opinion she look gorgeous! 

​Many women talk about the unachievable 'Hollywood' cry which they describe as perfect tears from clear eyes (i.e. not red) no sniffing or hint of a red nose and (sorry TorNorth) no sign of any distorted facial expression. I guess it depends on the intensity of the crying event, a few soft tears will look more attractive in non-forum members than a full on sobbing feast! It does open up the question of what crying is trying to convey? Yes, it's probably some sort of communication as it's visual and vocal - and emotional tears contain chemical that the body is attempting to purge from it's system. But, why do some people sob loudly and others shed tears discretely? Any thoughts?

April 12, 2016 4:51 pm  #4

I tend to cry quietly so as not to draw attention to myself. Crying is something I do NOT like to do, especially when there are others around.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

April 16, 2016 10:03 am  #5

tearhunter wrote:

Very interesting, have to say out with this forum very few women (and probably men) say they look attractive when they cry. Almost all will say they look ugly crying. I remember a work colleague years ago announcing that she looked ugly as tears rolled down her cheeks with stunning wet blue eyes - fact is in my opinion she look gorgeous! 

​Many women talk about the unachievable 'Hollywood' cry which they describe as perfect tears from clear eyes (i.e. not red) no sniffing or hint of a red nose and (sorry TorNorth) no sign of any distorted facial expression. I guess it depends on the intensity of the crying event, a few soft tears will look more attractive in non-forum members than a full on sobbing feast! It does open up the question of what crying is trying to convey? Yes, it's probably some sort of communication as it's visual and vocal - and emotional tears contain chemical that the body is attempting to purge from it's system. But, why do some people sob loudly and others shed tears discretely? Any thoughts?

I've read a theory that the tears and the sounds you make while crying might be a survival trait. The idea is that if a sabre-toothed tiger dragged you into its cave, the tears on your face will make you more visible to your caveman pals, plus your sounds will draw attention. If this is true, then it seems odd to me that people seem to almost instinctively hide the fact that they're crying. Though of course, getting dragged away by a sabre-tooth may also be seen as weakness, and therefore crying is done by "weak" people.

What I'd also wonder is what the facial distortions while crying conveys.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

Board footera