You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2016 4:49 pm  #1

Marion Cotillard in Macbeth (2015)

I watched the new adaptation of Macbeth this weekend. It didn't include as much male crying as I was hoping for -- there are a number brief teary scenes sprinkled throughout, including two nice ones from a young Irish actor named Jack Reynor around 39:00 and 1:20:00 and a decent one from Michael Fassbender in the last 15 minutes or so. 

But the highlight has to be this extraordinary crying scene from Marion Cotillard as she delivers her big 5th act soliloquy.  I'm typically less attracted to female crying, but this was the clip I found myself watching over and over again.  I'm hypnotized by the way her blue eyes brim with tears that spill down her cheeks one by one.  I was pleased to find a good quality video of the entire scene:

Also, whether it's a man or a woman crying, I'm realizing that I love it when a large tear -- especially the first one -- falls directly from the eyes without leaving a tear track and you can see it fall through space.  I think it conveys a certain intensity.  Does this appeal to anyone else? 

Last edited by Tristana (April 18, 2016 5:25 pm)

April 18, 2016 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Marion Cotillard in Macbeth (2015)

Very pretty Tristana. Very annoying film though. I don't think I've seen a movie where 90% of the dialogue is whispered.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

April 18, 2016 5:31 pm  #3

It is very whisper-y.  I watched it on my computer wearing headphones late at night, so it didn't bother me as much -- I also had the subtitles on so I could follow the text.  But I expect that if I had watched it in the theater I would have struggled to understand a lot of the dialogue.  

Last edited by Tristana (April 18, 2016 5:32 pm)

April 28, 2016 1:23 am  #4

Tristana wrote:

Also, whether it's a man or a woman crying, I'm realizing that I love it when a large tear -- especially the first one -- falls directly from the eyes without leaving a tear track and you can see it fall through space.  I think it conveys a certain intensity.  Does this appeal to anyone else? 

I just saw this happen today, and realized that I find it unsatisfying. If the tear doesn't move down the face in some way, I don't get excited at all. This fetish is so weird. 

April 28, 2016 4:39 pm  #5

truffle wrote:

Tristana wrote:

I just saw this happen today, and realized that I find it unsatisfying. If the tear doesn't move down the face in some way, I don't get excited at all. This fetish is so weird. 

Hi, Truffle. Thanks for replying!  It's kind of amazing that we can all share this one big thing in common, but that the details are so specific to each person.  

I do like to see tears fall down the cheeks as well.  Maybe it's that seeing the first tear fall without leaving a mark creates a sense of suspense or anticipation for what's to come; I also feel like people who cry like that tend to produce lots of tears, which I find especially attractive.  Marion Cotillard does it at a few different points in Macbeth -- one big drop directly from the eye followed by floods of tears down her face. A few of my favorite male actors tend to consistently cry this way as well.

I don't think I've ever witnessed this free-falling tear thing in real life -- only in movies and GIFs.  I'd definitely like to, but it might be one of those things that looks better on screen than in person.

Last edited by Tristana (April 28, 2016 4:40 pm)

Board footera