You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2016 2:52 am  #1

Anyone else excited for crying in X-Men?

The new X-Men is coming out next week and besides being a Marvel fan, it looks very emotional. I have heard that there is a good amount of male crying, and I would imagine female, too.

I personally would LOVE to see Evan Peters (my all-time favorite celebrity crier) cry as Quicksilver, but I doubt he will. His character seems more like the comic relief. I know I know, if I want to see him cry I could just watch the first four seasons of American Horror Story, but I want QUICKSILVER. The character is so cute and funny and I like to imagine that he puts on a brave front and tries to make everyone else laugh during hard times but inside he needs someone to hug him and to have a good cry, too.

But even if he doesn't, I am excited to see who does. Lots of good looking guys, and both James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender looked teary in the trailer. Is anyone else excited for this movie? Any characters/actors in it that you're hoping will cry?

May 22, 2016 7:28 am  #2

Re: Anyone else excited for crying in X-Men?

There are two intense male crying scenes which you'll probably enjoy. Plenty of teary scenes too from the men. One of those scenes is quite shocking.

The female crying was disappointing. Maybe something will happen in Captain America, but I doubt it. My dream would be Black Widow on full sob mode - but that's very unlikely. Maybe the Scerlet Witch will have something. Both actresses are lip curlers on screen.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

May 22, 2016 7:48 am  #3

Ahhh! TorNorth - you can't leave it like that! LOL...who does the crying?? Why? And how long are these scenes?

May 22, 2016 10:17 am  #4

I'll leave who as a surprise. The most intense crying scenes several minutes. The first one is longer.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

May 22, 2016 12:27 pm  #5

Super-Secret wrote:

I  personally would LOVE to see Evan Peters (my all-time favorite celebrity crier) cry as Quicksilver, but I doubt he will. His character seems more like the comic relief. I know I know, if I want to see him cry I could just watch the first four seasons of American Horror Story

I have heard a little about the plots and crying in AHS but have so far not plunged into watching the show at all because I generally can't do stuff that's too creepy, scary or gory.

I've been watching bates motel (latest season did have some crying) and that show doesn't bother me but I think that's about the extent of my foray into creepy stuff and it's mild.

May 22, 2016 3:37 pm  #6

TorNorth wrote:

There are two intense male crying scenes which you'll probably enjoy. Plenty of teary scenes too from the men. One of those scenes is quite shocking.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. Fassbender and McAvoy are two of my favorite criers.

I don't always keep up with superhero franchises, but I let my husband talk me into watching First Class and Days of Future Past after I read about all the male crying scenes.

Last edited by Tristana (May 22, 2016 3:38 pm)

May 23, 2016 8:39 am  #7

Tristana - who cries in First Class and Days of Future Past? Is it worth watching the movies for these scenes?
TorNorth - argh! So cruel! LOLOL...really looking forward to it now...

May 23, 2016 7:14 pm  #8

I'm confused. How did you see it, TorNorth? It doesn't come out until Friday?! Did you pirate it or something, lol? Or attend a sneak preview of some sort? I am jealous if so!

Okay, you have to at least tell me if Quicksilver cries or tears up at all! Please? I'm dying here! And if he does and I'm not prepared I might embarrass myself by crying in the theater along with him because he is my fave!

I recently read that Fassbender and McAvoy can cry so well on command that they can choose which eye the tears come from and exactly when a tear falls. This made me feel very inadequate as an actor! It also made me wish could play with them IRL! ;)

Ella, it is a shame that you can't handle scary stuff, because AHS is chock full of weepy men! Many, many, but Evan Peters more than anyone. But unless you really love his looks the way I do you're not totally missing out. If you ever do decide to watch for crying, avoid season 5. It's good as a story but has next to no tears.

May 27, 2016 4:15 pm  #9

missyjdma wrote:

Tristana - who cries in First Class and Days of Future Past? Is it worth watching the movies for these scenes?

Hi, missyjdma.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but there's a short sequence about halfway through First Class where Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy both cry together; Fassbender cries a little bit more later in that same scene. There's also a slightly longer scene near then end where McAvoy cries while Fassbender holds him after he is injured.

In Days of Future Past James McAvoy cries or has tears in his eyes several times.  Michael Fassbender and Hugh Jackman look emotional at certain points, but I'm pretty sure McAvoy is the only one who actually cries. I believe there are also brief crying scenes from Jennifer Lawrence and Ellen Page.  

As for whether these scenes are worth seeking out: I enjoyed them and I found the movies pretty entertaining too, but it depends on what you are looking for.  All the crying scenes are brief and subtle -- mostly just single tears, no sobbing or anything.  It's not difficult to find movies where Fassbender and McAvoy cry, and both have had more satisfying crying scenes in other films.  Although, I do think that that male friendship aspect of First Class makes those scenes especially charming. 

I hope this helps.      

Last edited by Tristana (May 27, 2016 6:41 pm)

June 27, 2016 7:53 pm  #10

I finally saw X-Men: Apocalypse, and while the movie itself was far from perfect, the quality and quantity of male crying met, and even slightly exceeded, my relatively high expectations -- especially for a summer blockbuster.  

There aren't many clips online yet, but this one contains a brief preview of one of Michael Fassbender's numerous teary scenes: https://youtu.be/pEYsvg2aa-4

Board footera