You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2015 8:59 pm  #1

Behind the crying scenes in ''Death of A Salesman''

This is a short film about the way some scenes are constructed in Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich. This is really something i was looking for many years before and i'm glad it came out on youtube. They really filmed those 2 major crying scenes many times and  it's pretty clear the way Malkovich makes himself cry in every take, his voice sounds just shattering ( i'm sad that this documentary is far to blurry to see the tears but in the movie they are pretty visible).. He is shown wiping his tears after one take at one point ( the final one).

There are also minor disagreements between the director and Dustin Hoffman that we can see in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2zIYN19XY ( those particular scenes are discussed from 41:00 on )

Last edited by psychic_girl (October 27, 2016 2:15 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

October 25, 2016 7:23 pm  #2

Re: Behind the crying scenes in ''Death of A Salesman''

Oh  yes, I've seen this documentary before, and I've known and liked the Hoffman film of Death of a Salesman since I was 16.  Though not really a big fan of John Malkovich, I always was amazed at how realistic his crying in the film looked.  The scene in which he's denouncing his father in the hotel room is indeed "shattering." 

October 27, 2016 2:11 pm  #3

Re: Behind the crying scenes in ''Death of A Salesman''

I remember seeing the movie at that time also, i was about 16-17 years old and i documented myself on a fan page about some scenes that would be quite dramatic. I remember that part being very cathartic because there's a certain build up and it's just magnificient when he finally breaks down.

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

Board footera