You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2017 7:47 pm  #1

Crying in horror films

It seems to me that horror films are a rather untapped source of crying. Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska (sp?) both do plenty of crying in Crimson Peak, Emile Hirsche flips out crying in The Autopsy of Jane Doe (and Brian Cox gets teary if you're into older men), just to name a few.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to fill my Lachrymatory of Holding.

February 4, 2017 10:17 pm  #2

Re: Crying in horror films

I don't know why, but fear/terror crying is a turn off for me, maybe because there's no real element of comfort that's involved.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 6, 2017 6:16 pm  #3

Never really did it for me. Too much whimpering and whining, it always slowed the movie down. I actually did enjoy Lindsay Lohan crying in captivity in I Know Who Killed Me, stupid movie as it was.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

February 6, 2017 8:31 pm  #4

I sort of agree with the wimpering and whining. Horror movies often don't give the characters time to break down and cry. There's too much screaming, hyperventillating and thrashing getting in the way. However, there's still quite a few horror films (good and crappy) I've seen that had enjoyable stuff, at least from a lip curl perspective. For example:

Neve Campbell in Scream and Scream 3

Jennifer Love Hewitt in I Know What You Did Last Summer and the first sequel

Ashley Lawrence in Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2

Bridget Moynahan in Prey

Jessica Biel in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Famke Janssen in 100 Feet

Shelley Duvall in The Shining

Vera Farmiga in Conjuring 2

Mischa Barton in Walled In

Ugly crying is pretty crying

February 7, 2017 5:13 am  #5

I really like horror movies and psychological trilers. There's a really nice scene in otherwise creepy (but good) movie "Orphan" where a guy is weeping, and there's a nice capture of his face. Has anyone seen this movie?

"it doesn't take a lot of straingh to hang on, it takes a lot of straingh to let go" 

February 7, 2017 5:25 am  #6

https://youtu.be/3pjqjHwFbgA

This is that clip.

"it doesn't take a lot of straingh to hang on, it takes a lot of straingh to let go" 

February 8, 2017 1:35 am  #7

I agree with Caircair.  Fear horror crying doesn't do it for me either.  One, I think there is a level of weakness in it which is a turn off for me.  I'm not really sure why I view that as weak while tears from sadness I don't.  Something to delve into.  Also, while the sobbing is nice in the scene above, it's really hard to get past the creepiness of her seducing him to enjoy it.  

"...men do not cry. They will do anything BUT cry. They stop themselves crying. And eventually they do cry if it is bad enough. So that's how you know with a man how bad it is for him. Because he would've stopped himself...Men always cry like that. They don't cry and in the end they do and if they do then it's overwhelming." ~Michael Caine

February 8, 2017 7:02 pm  #8

See, in many of the horror/thriller movies I see, as often as not, the crying is from tragedy. Lots of horror characters have tragic backstories.
Last night I was watching The Invitation, which is a thriller but had several lovely crying moments.

Last edited by PhoebeOnThePhone (February 9, 2017 6:33 am)

March 17, 2017 5:18 pm  #9

There're plenty of crying moments from 3 or even four nice actors in Unfriended horror flick. The action takes place in front of a skype screen and there are plenty of close ups of them crying and freaking out. Most crying comes from the women but towards the end of the movie there's also a male star who starts crying a lot afeter finding out the truth about his girlfriend. He's got nice blue eyes and the amount of detail in this type of shots is amazing...

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

May 12, 2017 3:32 am  #10

There was a lovely moment from the lead of Dark Was The Night where his eyes are filled with tears.
I actually posted some images from an Adrien Brody horror movie. No tears of fear there, that was all sorrow.

I do agree that tears of fear don't pack the heft that tears of sorrow do. I've actually found that, since a very common story setup in scary movies is a tragic backstory for the main characters, it's not unusual to see a tear or two.

Board footera