You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2017 12:22 am  #1

Lots of crying lately

For the last 7 - 9 months, I've been having frequent crying jags related to work stress, and I'm hoping by giving my 2 week notice they will stop. I loathe crying personally, I see it as weakness IN ME (not in anyone else, for them it's a plus) and it's something I feel as shameful - more importantly, my meltdowns are starting to scare my husband. I had one jag a month or so ago where he actually asked me if he needed to get me some immediate help - think overnight in the mental ward. I was having VERY suicidal thoughts (but, oddly enough, I know I will never act on them because I'm too afraid of physical pain) and was in such depression I could not see a way out. I spent at least half an hour sobbing and unloading emotionally about how I was scared to death that I was going to be fired, how much I hated the job and the company I work for, how much I hated life in general - and that was only one meltdown.

At first they were coming every other week, then weekly - and now I've been having crying jags twice a week. However, they seem to have settled way down ever since I decided to quit that soul-killer of a job.

Over the last 4-5 months I've also found myself crying over little things. I've been listening to Disney songs and invariably that will set me off - the soundtrack to "Hunchback of Notre Dame" is guaranteed to bring me to tears, and even songs like "I Won't Say I'm in Love", "Friend Like Me", and "Journey to the Past" from Anastasia turn on the waterworks. It's even worse if I try to sing along, I can only get through the first line or two before my eyes well up.

Just writing this is making me teary-eyed, and since I'm at work (slow day and I'm not on my work computer) I CAN'T let myself cry. Oh well, only three more hours to go, two more days, my Sun-Mon weekend, and then Tuesday I hand in my two week notice. I can hardly wait!!

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 10, 2017 1:23 am  #2

Re: Lots of crying lately

Hi, Caircair.  I'm so sorry you're depressed.  I can relate as I've been depressed on and off as well in my life.  I'm also the type of person who doesn't handle stress that well, and I've been under major work stress lately.  (I like my job; it's just that I've had to do a lot of overtime in the past month.)  Further, I'm sick of winter and want it to be spring!  I do hope you can cry -- and get professional help if you need it.  It is good to hear you're quitting your job; if it's a job you hate, then I think quitting is the only thing to do.   

February 10, 2017 1:30 am  #3

Know how you feel, honey.  I been there.  I could tell you stories about where I used to work that would scare Dracula.  There are jobs or positions that are just flat-out more trouble than they're worth.  I wish you best of luck at finding something you'll be good at and comfortable with.  Never forget how very much you're in my thoughts and prayers.

February 10, 2017 3:40 am  #4

Sending good wishes and kind thoughts.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

Board footera