You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2017 12:04 am  #1

The Lip Curled Crying Confession Thread

I've seen plenty of people on this board talking about their own crying, and there's some that mention that they curl their lip when they sob. I think finally it's time for me to pose the question more generally.

Do you usually do the lip curl when you're sobbing? Do you think you do? It could be mild or intense. When was the last time you cried like that? Also, how many of your blood relatives have you seen crying like that? The question is posed to both sexes, though of course I'm more interested in the women.

For example: I consider myself to be a lip curler, based on the fact that when I cried as a child my lip bulged out. My mother and sister both do the lip curl. The last time I sobbed was at 13, I don't remember the lip curl but I'm pretty sure it was there. Among my other relatives I've seen cry, there's been several lip curls. One uncle from my mother's side, five cousins (one male and the rest female) from my father's side and two nieces also from my father's side.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

February 20, 2017 2:04 pm  #2

Re: The Lip Curled Crying Confession Thread

I do a mild lip curl when sobbing; I'm sure of it now. The last time I did it was 12 days ago, and about six weeks ago before that. My mother does, but she only sobs from sadness, and her happy crying is always quiet and discreet. I have two younger sisters who do occasionally curl their lips with high-intensity sobbing. However, recently I've only seen the youngest do it. My middle sister has not sobbed in front of me in years so I'm not sure if she still does it. Her wedding is coming up this summer, though, and she has wept happily many times while talking about her love for her fiance, so I think that it's possible she'll sob on her wedding day.

On my father's side (Indian): Two aunts (out of three) curl their lips even when not sobbing. Five female cousins in my generation also do it. Two female cousins once removed curl their lips but only when sobbing. I can honestly say I haven't seen any male relative on my father's side curl their lips. I've only seen them tear up.

On my mother's side (Italian): one aunt and two uncles are lip curlers. One male cousin has curled his lip after his girlfriend dumped him. There are four female cousins in my generation on my mother's side. I've seen the oldest one (31) sob with an intensely curled lip. The other three are between the ages of 15-21 and I have seen them cry quietly in casual social settings. I haven't been with these three during truly sad, emotionally intense events so I've never seen them sob hard. However, two of them do a little wobbly lip curl when they talk and cry quietly; I don't know if this means anything, but maybe that makes it more likely that they genuinely lip curl when sobbing. Maybe.

Of note, relatives on my father's side sob much more easily and frequently. Those on my mother's side are quiet and tearful and it takes a lot to get them to sob; when they do sob, they do so quietly but for much longer than those on the Indian side of my family.

Last edited by truffle (February 20, 2017 2:43 pm)

February 20, 2017 8:22 pm  #3

truffle wrote:

I do a mild lip curl when sobbing; I'm sure of it now. The last time I did it was 12 days ago, and about six weeks ago before that.

Well, I hope it wasn't anything too bad those two times you cried. That said, we need more obs! Come on, this board is dead as hell. :'(

The photo of yourself you posted in the past had a shot of your crying mouth. I can't quite tell if you bottom lip is curled or not since your lips and chin were not fully visible. Though I thought it was kinda sorta curled maybe. Is that roughly what your lips look like when sobbing, or does it curl more prominently? Does your mother or your sisters do lip curls similar to yours?

My mother and my sister lip curl in a very similar way (kind of lopsided). And so do two of my mothers brothers. I suspect that's also how I would probably do it.

February 21, 2017 9:12 am  #4

I didn't cry in a long time, tear up, getting emotional yes but full on crying no. In my opinion I don't have a lip curl, but maybe full on crying there is a lip curl in every person. I am an only child and my parents never cry in front of me, therefore I can't really tell you about other peoples lip curl.
​Anyhow because of my profession I see a lot of people cry in front of me. Usually they try to hold back their tears and I have never seen a lip curl in any of these. Only little children do the lip curl quite often.

February 21, 2017 9:56 am  #5

flatter wrote:

but maybe full on crying there is a lip curl in every person.

In my experience, no. I've seen intense crying from people where the lip curl never happens. However, some people get there sooner than others. My theory is that your mouth has to tailor made for that expression. I've also found some people who lip curled both as children and as older people. Based on that I think the lip curl is always there among lip curlers.

February 22, 2017 4:28 am  #6

I haven't had full-on sobbing in years, but I don't recall any lip curl during it.

In retrospect, though, the girl I dated senior year of college had a very prominent lip curl.

"Bless me now with your fierce tears..."

February 23, 2017 10:54 am  #7

NeedHerSobs wrote:

In retrospect, though, the girl I dated senior year of college had a very prominent lip curl.

Any good observations?

Vanilla ones of course

February 23, 2017 9:23 pm  #8

I don't know if i Curl.i never paid attention.  I love the feeling of the tears flowing though.

February 23, 2017 9:48 pm  #9

inmyarmsagain wrote:

I don't know if i Curl.i never paid attention.  I love the feeling of the tears flowing though.

According to your self-obs', you do

February 23, 2017 11:09 pm  #10

The last time I cried, which was probably three or four months ago, tears flowed from my eyes fairly quickly and I know my chin and lower lip quivered a little but, but that's about it. In the rare instances I sob (it's been years) my bottom lip quivers, bulges out, and maybe curves downward a little bit, but it doesn't fully curl.

My younger sister has thinner lips than I do and I suspect she probably does lip curl.  She's a more emotional person and tends to cry a lot more often and a lot harder than I do.  She and I live far apart and don't get together very often, so I haven't seen her cry for at least a year -- and at that point I hadn't joined this board and didn't know what a lip-curl was. :-) But when I think back, I do remember her sobbing with a contorted lip and chin. 

Board footera