You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2017 9:22 am  #1

do you tear up?

I work a lot with people. Sometimes I can relate to their problems or I just feel sorry for people telling me an unbelievable story. It depends on the day but sometimes I just feel my eyes filling up with tears in just a second. They just water and my nose starts running. Usually the tears don't flow but I have to wipe the eyes and the nose. My voice is no problem in these moments, it is not like sobbing or crying, just the tears and the running nose. Do you know such situations? For me it feels embarassing, I guess most don't even realize it and the others think of me as a sensitive or empathic person...

February 21, 2017 9:51 am  #2

Re: do you tear up?

Yes, I tear up quite often. Usually from thinking about stuff, like an emotional (real or fictional) situation or a verse from a song.

I think the last time I teared up was yesterday while walking to work. I can't remember why since I tend to get lost in thought very often. Eye remember my eyes filling up and getting a lump in the throat, and blinking rapidly. I also had to blow my nose.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

February 23, 2017 11:19 pm  #3

Sometimes when I'm watching a movie and there's a particularly emotional scene, I notice that my breath kind of catches in my throat and tears spring into my eyes, but I don't actually cry.  For some reason happy moments tend to affect me more than sad ones.  

It always catches me by surprise, since I'm not much of a crier -- I think it probably happens more often when I'm tired or stressed out.  

February 27, 2017 1:00 am  #4

I think being able to relate to others' feelings is a gift from God, even if I've never gone that route myself.  Sometimes breaking down and crying with somebody is just the best thing for all concerned.

February 27, 2017 2:43 am  #5

I've been going through a rough patch personally, and find that lately I tear up over ridiculous things - like Disney songs (especially if I'm trying to sing along), anything remotely touching on TV, or even just out of nowhere; I feel my throat tighten and my eyes start to prickle, and I know I'm about to cry again. Just thinking about it can make me cry.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

February 27, 2017 2:53 am  #6

Actually, I tear up much more often than I cry openly.

May 14, 2017 9:28 am  #7

TorNorth wrote:

Yes, I tear up quite often. Usually from thinking about stuff, like an emotional (real or fictional) situation or a verse from a song.

I think the last time I teared up was yesterday while walking to work. I can't remember why since I tend to get lost in thought very often. Eye remember my eyes filling up and getting a lump in the throat, and blinking rapidly. I also had to blow my nose.

​And here's me thinking you never cry TorNorth - clearly these emotion here but at a level you can control. However it does sound like the tears would be visible in your eyes. If you went with the emotion would you / have you shed a tear - one that if left would trickle down your face? Not thinking out and out crying just a single tear. If you've not gone with the emotion before, next time your in a safe private place let it take over you a bit more and let me know if you are able to send a tear from your eye.

​As for me... obsoletely  tear up - problem for me is I don't appear to be able to hold much water in my eyes before they spill over so tears in eyes very quickly progress to tears on cheek!

May 14, 2017 9:21 pm  #8

I tear up every so often, sometimes listening to a podcast or watching a movie. I was actually talking about this with some friends last week, and I shared the stupidest thing that's ever made me emotional: In 1966 a US aircraft carrier encountered an Italian training ship, and the US ship said to the Italian one (either in semaphore or over radio, not exactly sure), "You are the most beautiful ship in the world." I was tearing up and laughing as I told them about it because it's just such a bizarre thing to be moved by. 

Similarly, I was reading a book about WWI, and read that an English destroyer came out to New York harbor in July (?) 1918 to meet the first US destroyers joining the war effort, and signaled to them, "It is good to have you with us." And that made me tear up too. So apparently I'm just always emotional about warships talking to one another. 

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

May 15, 2017 7:15 am  #9

I do but i hate crying in front of others so i´ve found ways to hold it back, it doesnt always work of course, I enjoy crying if im alone sometimes for stress relief, id like to call it "comfort crying". Anyone seen the movie "American beauty"? I can totally relate to the character in the movie (the guy next door whos constantly filming and taking photos all the time). I often tear up when im overwhelmed by all the beauty in life, the character in the movie also has one line that says-" Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in." Its soo on point with how i feel, just love that line. I often tear up when i see dolphins playing in the wild or horses running free, this can actually bring me to full blown "silent crying" if im alone. Also if im out running in the woods im often amazed and stunned by the beauty of nature, it gets to me somehow and i tear up. 

May 15, 2017 3:56 pm  #10

I tear up unexpectedly too, like at things I've seen before, videos or movies.  I always love it when that happens because I don't cry easily either, and I worked hard for years to be strong and not break down all the time. Well it comes from being bullied and shamed as a little girl because I cried at the drop of a pin then. Nowadays I'm stronger, but I don't always want to be.  Still...I don't force the tears, but when they come I am grateful for them.
meantangerine,  I love your story about warcrafts talking to each other. What really got me was this war story about WWII I think...when a German soldier on Christmas Eve suddenly stood up and started singing  Silent Night.  The American soldiers also joined in and then everyone was singing it, German and American. Just one brief moment when everyone acknowledged Christmas and the Savior being born, etc. I'm not religious but I love Christmas. It's so heartwarming and often tears will come at certain Christmas songs.  "Snoopy's Christmas," from Peanuts(I think the Royal Guardsmen were the band that sang that song) reminds me of that story about the German soldier singing Silent Night.  Anyway, those situations will always turn on the faucets for me!!!! :D

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long." --Johnny Depp
"Cry to me...let it come, let it bleed...reach in and get it, and set it free." --Heart

Board footera