You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2017 8:52 pm  #1

Small male observation

For the last 15 years I played an instrument and had lessons. The past few months I had health issues and decided to stop taking lesson and make a break playing my instrument. It was quite difficult to come to this decision for me and when I finished writing the note on email to the music school I felt like crying. Playing music and share the emotions with a music teacher is something special, especially when you know each other so well and for such a long time. Playing the instrument was always essential for me and I always went on playing no matter what was going on in my life. I guess my teacher knows me quite well because music shows your deepest feelings. When I saw my music teacher in person and told him into his face, that I am going to stop playing I could see the pain in his eyes. We had a normal lesson afterwards because I wished to go on like in a normal lesson. At the end once more the subject of stopping to play the instrument came up and my teacher made a remark about my character I could only agree. At the end we were shaking hands. When I looked into his face I remarked some wetness at the side of his nose (it was not a warm day and he didn't have a cold), so I guess it was a single tear escaping from his eye.

May 12, 2017 4:37 am  #2

Re: Small male observation

Oh my goodness, that's so touching!  He must really think a lot of your talent, flatter!  I am so sorry about your health issue, and hope you can take up your instrument again! 

May 12, 2017 5:12 am  #3

I guess it is not the talent but the personal rapport we had. Imagine being an instrument teacher: a lot of children, some of them very nice, others not so much and just a few grown ups. It is a bone hard job! Playing the instrument is the main thing in our relationship but opens a door to a lot of other private subjects. I never talked about my kink with my teacher, not that close...

May 13, 2017 10:37 am  #4

That's really nice, you must mean a lot to him. Did you notice any tears In his eyes? Was it a streak down the side of his nose? Interesting he did not wipe the wetness away knowing it would be visible to you. Were you emotional? I wonder if you had shed a few tears whether it would have been enough to tip him over the edge and cause a few more tears to escape. 

May 15, 2017 9:11 pm  #5

The wetness at the side of his nose seamed to be unnoticed by him, he didn't wipe it away and it was just at the end of our lesson when I was leaving. As a matter of fact I am unable to produce tears in front of others, just tearing up is an option - or being hurt really bad by someone gets me over the edge. I don't think my teacher would have shed tears if I would have been more emotional because I think he expresses his feelings through music, not tears. Tears and crying just play a role in singing and not in playing an instrument.
To be honest, when I went down the stairs after sending the notice about quitting my music lesson my eyes were watering and there was a single sob but I didn't pay attention. Don't know what would had happened if I allowed myself to feel the emotion.

May 16, 2017 12:48 am  #6

Flatter, what instrument did you play and what genre of music?

May 17, 2017 12:44 pm  #7

Violine, mostly classical

Board footera