You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2017 12:28 am  #11

Re: do you tear up?

La Llorona, what is it about oldtimey war stories??? It's not like I have family in the military or anything, zero personal connection to war, super-lefty politically... can't explain it. 

As I get older I find myself a lot more susceptible to heartwarming stuff (and it's not even that I'm old, I'm 26), but I listen to this podcast that's just people telling stories about their lives and I tear up at that not uncommonly, and I teared up at the finale of the Great British Baking Show because the winner "has her whole family there with her!" and every time it just startles me because I'm not used to reacting that way. 

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

May 18, 2017 12:48 am  #12

I feel ya, meantangerine!  I'm super lefty too lol but I love stories about the humanity of those who have to go to fight wars.  I'm 50 so I grew up when the Vietnam war was still going on.  It ended when I was about 8.  My parents were total hippie folks and I love them for it.  My dad was in the Army but fortunately it was the "reserves," whatever that means.  But that made him exempt from having to go fight in the war. Thank goodness!  But I always felt bad and teared up a lot when hearing how when the Vietnam war soldiers came back to USA, they were not greeted with anything. They were shunned, as if what THEY did was wrong. They were ordered to go and fight, they didn't create the war, they did what they did because that's all they knew how to do at the time.  It's heartbreaking, thinking of that, but at least now people have a better awareness of supporting the TROOPS, just not the war.  War sucks, but the troops are human and should be treated as such.  
Lmao, here I went and got on a soapbox. Man I'd have made a killer flower child, if I'd been born earlier than '67.  Seriously though...it''s just basic common sense, and more people know that these days, which is excellent. 
Back to the topic tho, yeah, I always teared up at heartwarming things...even as a child.  Commercials even lmao.  Hallmark card commercials.  And yeah, movies or shows with heartwarming themes, and people with big, loving families...on go the waterworks every time.

Last edited by La Llorona (May 18, 2017 12:53 am)

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long." --Johnny Depp
"Cry to me...let it come, let it bleed...reach in and get it, and set it free." --Heart

May 18, 2017 1:23 am  #13

La Llorana, you could easily have written my story. The only thing about tearing up for me is that it brings on a sense of shame - in my family, tears were something to hide lest they be used against you. My mother and I had "issues" which, even now, rear their ugly heads and one of them is being belittled when I cried. I'm only comfortable crying in a closed room alone. 

​However, I can't remember when I wasn't attracted to men's tears - but have found I much prefer tears on TV or in movies. Real life tears distress me more than intrigue me, and tears don't arouse me physically so much as psychologically and emotionally.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

June 10, 2017 10:36 am  #14

That's one of the important factors with regard to accepting your own crying - not feeling shame or embarrassed. I've learned to accept my own crying and I'm comfortable with it in front of my wife and a few close friends. I've also cried In front of so many health professionals now I don't feel embarrassed or ashamed. But I still can't cry openly in front of my immediate family - mother, father, brother etc. I'd feel extremely embarrassed if I shed tears in their company. I think it's because I feel I need to be a strong person - so that they don't worry and believe I'm making my way through life without undue stress or hardship - that I'm in control. I don't think this the right way to be as feeling shame with my family prevents me from having a close emotional bond with them - so glad I have my wife to share emotional moments with.

July 14, 2017 10:06 am  #15

tearhunter wrote:

TorNorth wrote:

Yes, I tear up quite often. Usually from thinking about stuff, like an emotional (real or fictional) situation or a verse from a song.

I think the last time I teared up was yesterday while walking to work. I can't remember why since I tend to get lost in thought very often. Eye remember my eyes filling up and getting a lump in the throat, and blinking rapidly. I also had to blow my nose.

​And here's me thinking you never cry TorNorth - clearly these emotion here but at a level you can control. However it does sound like the tears would be visible in your eyes. If you went with the emotion would you / have you shed a tear - one that if left would trickle down your face? Not thinking out and out crying just a single tear. If you've not gone with the emotion before, next time your in a safe private place let it take over you a bit more and let me know if you are able to send a tear from your eye.

​As for me... obsoletely  tear up - problem for me is I don't appear to be able to hold much water in my eyes before they spill over so tears in eyes very quickly progress to tears on cheek!

I think there were one or two occasions when a tear did spill out. I wouldn't use the word "control", I just find it really hard to go beyond a vague teary state. The place where I work, my manager is a brash loudmouth who tends to scream at people right in front of everyone when he's pissed. Few months back I had the privilege of being on the receiving end of that. At the time I was angry and argumentative, but afterwards I had a little lump at the back of my throat. It occurred to me that I might have actually cried it I tried in that moment. After I came home I tried to recreate that emotion. I was actually hoping to capture it on camera but alas, nothing. I'd basically gotten over it by then. -___-'

Ugly crying is pretty crying

Board footera