You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2017 11:50 pm  #1

Bob Odenkirk: "Better Call Saul"

Bob Odenkirk's Jimmy McGill is having an awful week and reaches his breaking point when he gets one more piece of bad news.  (Episode 3.7, "Expenses")
This is amazing on a few levels.  Odenkirk spent most of his career in sketch comedy and is able to pull off a scene like this.  Really intense crying, and multi-layered.  
The scene itself is being debated on the internet as to the genuineness of his breakdown.  He does indeed take advantage of the situation partway through as he discovers a way to exact some revenge on the brother who is largely responsible for his woes.  BUT... it starts out genuine.  This is how I read the scene and the performance, and the writer confirms he wrote it that way and Odenkirk says that's how he played it.  It beautifully captures those times when everything is going wrong and one more little thing will just make you burst into tears.  Pretty heartbreaking, and major kudos to Odenkirk.  
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHyyNCG_oBkakM1WFVtTUllNWs

Last edited by Squonk (May 23, 2017 11:52 pm)

Climbing to a high chamber in a well of houses, he threw himself down in his clothes on a neglected bed, and its pillow was wet with wasted tears. -- A Tale of Two Cities

May 25, 2017 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Bob Odenkirk: "Better Call Saul"

Indeed, this is very well done and i guess is genuine. It's subdued crying ,yet powerfull..

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

June 21, 2017 9:09 pm  #3

Re: Bob Odenkirk: "Better Call Saul"

I missed this clip somehow. What a great performance! I definitely agree with your interpretation.
It's so interesting to watch the transition from "genuine" acted crying to something more calculated.

I've just finished season 2; it's a great show and I've been really impressed with Odenkirk's acting throughout. 

Board footera