You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2016 3:05 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes: Would-be tearful moment in "The Resident Patient"

Here is the handsome Nicholas Clay in the BBC's Sherlock Holmes, circa 1985.  Watch this video beginning at about 6:44 and continuing to about 6:54.  Doesn't it look as though Clay (the young man in the black suit) is about to become tearful?:

Last edited by White Tulip (March 31, 2016 3:08 am)

March 31, 2016 2:32 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes: Would-be tearful moment in "The Resident Patient"

Excellent crying detective work, White Tulip -- I love looking for evidence of emotion even outside of a traditional crying scene.

This is a compelling clip, I like the slightly odd way he holds his mouth around 6:53, it seems both theatrical and natural at the same time. 

March 31, 2016 4:51 pm  #3

That actor looks familiar. Any idea who he is?

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

March 31, 2016 9:52 pm  #4

caircair wrote:

That actor looks familiar. Any idea who he is?

His name was Nicholas Clay.  Unfortunately, he's no longer living.  You may have seen him in the film adaptation of Agatha Christie's Evil Under the Sun, with Sir Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot.

March 31, 2016 9:59 pm  #5

Tristana wrote:

Excellent crying detective work, White Tulip -- I love looking for evidence of emotion even outside of a traditional crying scene.

This is a compelling clip, I like the slightly odd way he holds his mouth around 6:53, it seems both theatrical and natural at the same time. 

Thanks!  I've seen the episode countless times on TV; it's one of my favorites with Jeremy Brett as Holmes.  That moment with Nicholas Clay always struck me as unexpected and oddly touching.  Usually, you don't see "Victorian gentlemen" becoming emotional in front of others.

Board footera