You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2016 6:56 am  #1

Another favorite

Hugh Bonneville in "Downton Abbey", season 1.7, right after his wife miscarries. Not a lot of crying but definitely showing the after effects of a good bout of tears. This is wonderful acting, very moving.

[url]http://lucktv.net/play.php?id=eemzzzbkl|kwltym,[/url] starting 47.54

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

April 10, 2016 12:05 am  #2

Re: Another favorite

Thank you so much!  I'd been trying to locate that same scene but was having no luck!

Though I personally don't find Hugh Bonneville as appealing an actor as, say, Colin Firth, the scene did touch me when I saw it on TV.

Last edited by White Tulip (April 10, 2016 12:07 am)

April 13, 2016 5:27 pm  #3

This is a nice scene; a sensitive yet restrained performance.

For some reason, my favorite kind of crying scenes are often ones that don't involve a complete breakdown -- the actor is clearly in tears, but still attempting to speak and behave normally.  And just like Bates in this scene I like it when the other characters go along with that, acknowledging the crier's distress in a subtle way that respects their wish to keep things controlled, at least for the moment.  

Also, lucktv seems like a really useful resource, the image quality is excellent. Thanks very much for sharing!

Does anyone remember if Matthew has any crying scenes on Downton?  I feel like I remember one, but I haven't been able to find it.  Dan Stevens has lovely blue eyes.  

Last edited by Tristana (April 13, 2016 5:28 pm)

April 13, 2016 9:24 pm  #4

I don't remember any crying scenes by Matthew, but I'll be hunting for scenes with Tom and Barrow - I know they each had a couple of good ones. Bates' crying scenes were so understated as to be not especially good. (But I will post them if anyone wishes.)

Anonymous

April 13, 2016 9:49 pm  #5

caircair wrote:

I don't remember any crying scenes by Matthew, but I'll be hunting for scenes with Tom and Barrow - I know they each had a couple of good ones.

That would be great! They're both very handsome. 

(For some reason, I thought I remembered Matthew crying when Lavinia died, but I revisited that episode and didn't find much. Rats!)

April 14, 2016 12:35 am  #6

Tristiana:  Yes, I love it when the guy's voice cracks and breaks.  There's some of that in the Luther (with Joseph Fiennes) moments I posted, if you want to check them out. 

Caircair:  The crying/comforting moment from "Downton Abbey" that's my favorite comes at the end of an episode in (I believe) the first season.  In the scene, Matthew has just left and Mary breaks down in Carson's arms.  Carson proceeds to comfort her very nicely.  Do you remember that scene, and can you find it online?  

April 14, 2016 2:06 am  #7

I think someone had already posted it, but if not I'll look. I'm pretty sure it was at the beginning of the fourth season, right after Matthew (SPOILER ALERT!!) died.

Anonymous

April 14, 2016 2:45 am  #8

caircair wrote:

I think someone had already posted it, but if not I'll look. I'm pretty sure it was at the beginning of the fourth season, right after Matthew (SPOILER ALERT!!) died.

No, the scene I'm talking about took place when Matthew was still alive.  The setting was an outdoor party of some sort.

April 14, 2016 4:40 am  #9

Hmmm, I'll see what I can find.

Anonymous

Board footera