You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2012 4:37 am  #1

Hi, been lurking for a while! Some facts about my thing for crying...

Hi there everyone! I finally worked up the courage to post here. I've been a lurker since a long time before the old forum was gone...so I'm kind of overdue on this! Especially considering that everyone here is so friendly. 

So, I'm a spunky person with a pretty happy-go-lucky disposition. When it comes to being a total goofball, I'm the most expressive person you'll ever meet. But I've always had a very hard time expressing feelings of sadness and anger, and definitely a mental block when it comes to crying in front of people. It's really not very often that I even cry when I'm alone. I tend to be very locked up inside of myself. Because of this, I've always really sympathized with guys, who naturally cry less and have all of the added pressure from society that crying is something they shouldn't do. I've never had a particularly ideal event in my life happen where a guy has cried in front of me, but when I see or know that a guy is crying, that is the only thing I can think of off the bat that would make me cry myself, knowing the weight of the pain he must feel.

I'm very full of empathy, but I'm pretty sure nobody in my life really recognizes it all that much. I'm the youngest of my family and the youngest of most of my friends (who are mostly guys, they act very much like older brothers to me), so I am protected by the people around me much more often than I get the opportunity to protect anybody myself. I have such a longing to have something I can call mine for only me to protect and be of comfort to, to be a guardian angel of sorts. But it's not often that I get the chance to comfort anyone. I've never had a boyfriend or anything. When I'm with my friends, they can probably see my nurturing instincts through little gestures, as whenever anyone gets hurt, I offer band-aids, whenever anyone is coughing, I offer a cough-drop, whenever anyone looks upset I ask if they want to talk and let them know I'm here, etc. But I back off to a certain extent, because they are only my friends and any further might seem strange to them. I do have one friend that I have feelings for, but he is already taken so I have to keep myself in check. It's pretty difficult for me not to tend to his every need, and he is the only person in my life at the moment who brings out my deepest emotions, but it's just not my place to care for him as anything other than a friend.

My family probably sees me as kind of distant when it comes to hardship, because the other mental block that I struggle with is seeing my family members crying, or sick, or upset and being there for them the way that I should. I try really hard, as I'm very close with my family, but I see caretaking as something very personal and romantic, so I have a really hard time not getting freaked out and wanting to just run away until it's over. I guess this is an odd comparison, but it feels to me kind of like how it would feel to call your mom, dad or older sister 'sweetheart'. Who in your life do you call 'sweetheart'? Your significant other, and in other cases, your children. When it's anyone else, it's pretty weird. But while you probably will never have to call your family members pet names, it's likely that you'll have to be there for them through hard times in life...and that's something I really wish I was better at.

Wow. I meant to write a little bit, and I wrote an auto-biography. I'm not even really sure where I'm going with this, so...  Hopefully some of you can relate with me on some level. Here's a question I have for you guys: While I'm aware that this fetish is mostly based around the spirit of nurturing and hurt/comfort, is there something relatively sadistic about it in your opinion? This is such a fascinating fetish to have...it's technically taking pleasure in pain (even if most of us do not take pleasure from extremely intense crying caused by more serious matters) but what do you call it when you also like to be their solace?

Thanks for reading this, if you did, haha. It's really nice to just be able to express my feelings about this thing that I've kept to myself. I plan to most more from now on, and don't worry, it won't be as lengthy next time! 

- Lillianne

March 28, 2012 4:55 am  #2

Re: Hi, been lurking for a while! Some facts about my thing for crying...

Hi Lillianne.  I have almost the same exact mentality as you do.  As for your question, I do feel it is a little of both, but for me it is definitely more of the comforting part.

March 28, 2012 5:09 am  #3

Hi Lillianne!
Welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here. To answer your question I'm more on the comforting side.

Last edited by raindance85 (March 29, 2012 9:15 pm)

March 28, 2012 3:39 pm  #4

Welcome, Lillianne! I definitely understand the hesitation about comforting family members. When it comes to my family, I freeze up a little, or even get angry. It's weird, because that's not at all the way I see myself otherwise. I'm a nurturer, but when the nurturing is so tied to sexuality (for me), it's definitely sort of a block when it comes to family. I also can't really cry or show emotion around my family. The word "stoic" gets tossed around a lot, haha.

As for the sadism, I think that's certainly what most people think of when they hear that a crying fetish exists. I don't know if you're a member of fetlife.com (I recommend it), but in the Dacryphilia group sadism/masochism is very common. And I agree, this is a super complicated fetish to have. Sometimes when someone I love is going through a rough patch I'll catch myself thinking, "I hope he cries. Wait! No I don't! That's terrible! It would be nice though..." I struggle with it a lot, the ethical problems. But I think, in the end, there's nothing wrong with it if, through your fetish, you help someone feel loved and cared for in their time of need.
Sorry, I hope that made sense. Can't wait to see more posts from you!

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

March 28, 2012 6:47 pm  #5

Welcome, Lillianne, and please stop apologizing for the length of your first post!!  So many people come and post a couple of things and then stop, so the fact you've already shared as much personal stuff as you did is a great contribution, and hope you continue to hang out with us!

I don't know how to address the sadistic/masochistic issue with myself.  I haven't been on the Dacryphilia group in ages because, by and large, I couldn't really relate to what the other posters were into (although I really didn't spend much time there, so it may be different now).  Yet, at least some part of my attraction to crying men can definitely include the pain.  So I'm thinking maybe there is a third category.  Sadistic can mean wanting to inflict pain on others (in a powerful, dominating sort of way), masochistic can mean wanting pain inflicted on oneself (in a submissive sort of way), and maybe what I want (or at least part of what I want) is a feeling of empathy inflicted upon myself (in a non-submissive way).  To get a feeling of empathy and the huge RUSH to want to comfort/help someone (that is definitely a rush), I seem to require the person to be acting vulnerable or at the point of near tears (although I often feel a great sense of sympathy for people -- but empathy seems to involve "feeling their feelings" instead of just feeling sorry for them, and more often, I think I just feel very sorry for them).  It's a very specific formula, though, as there are definitely things that I find too sickening or traumatizing to enjoy in that way.  I'd imagine that's even the case for many traditional BDSM folks, though.  To be turned on by that, you'd really have to be turned on by the feeling of being sickened.  I'm turned on by the connection, the bond between people, that comes with feeling empathy.

Anyway, that's only part of the mix for me and my fetish (I often cite the "loss of control" as my attraction, as that encompasses all my various interests), but an interesting point you brought up!  As for what to call it, well, with what I just described, maybe I am "empathochistic"... or an empathochist, haha!

Oh yeah, and I definitely relate on wanting to *protect* somebody... that could be a whole other thing... the nurturer part, for sure!  I like your guardian angel analogy too and the exclusivity of it, like you're the only protecter for that particular person.  I think you will find that feeling with a boyfriend someday.

Geez, can I ever just post a post without finding all sorts of grammatical errors and typos right after I post it?  Hopefully I've found them all now... 

Last edited by woundedpuppy (March 28, 2012 6:49 pm)

March 28, 2012 8:10 pm  #6

Thank you guys so much for all the responses! I feel very welcomed, hehe.

Thanks Bisko and raindance! I'm definitely more on the comforter side, too...but sometimes I wonder if there's a little tiny smidge of something twisted thrown in there too. I love the idea of a man near tears, and he's at your mercy in a way; such as, he's right on the brink and by one little comment or gesture you make, encouraging him to cry, he falls off the edge. And you're there to catch him, of course.  But still I find myself feeling a little bit conflicted about that particular fantasy now and then.

Meantangerine, we sound pretty similar, I'm glad I'm not alone in the whole discomfort with family members...I'm seen as a pretty stoic person, too, and that's not at all how I see myself either. I've heard of fetlife.com, I'd like to check it out. I take a lot of interest in others' point of view on things. And haha, that sounds very familliar, I've had the same dialogue run through my mind when someone I love is having a hard time too, I feel like I've got a little angel and devil on each of my shoulders sometimes! 

Woundedpuppy, thanks so much for your thoughts, it helped me sort things out a little, and your perspective sounds a lot like how I feel about it too. 'Empathochistic'...I love that, it's perfect! The loss of control is definitely the appeal to me too. And I agree, for it to hit me in full effect, I have to feel a bond or attachment to the person. The trust it often requires for a man to open up and be vulnerable is what really gets me. <3

Last edited by Lillianne (March 28, 2012 8:27 pm)

March 28, 2012 8:20 pm  #7

Hi Lillianne! Welcome to the forum!

I agree with you about a lot of the things you mentioned. I also have trouble seeing family members crying or weak. It makes me feel terrible because I love and care for them deeply, but I get uncomfortable because of the sexual overtones that crying and comforting have for me.

As far as the sadism goes, I agree with meantangerine that through my fetish, I'm more able to offer deep comfort to my friends and significant others, and that this is a very positive thing. I have struggled with guilt over it at times, but it helps that my boyfriend is so receptive to it and even willing to indulge the fetish. I love what woundedpuppy said about "loss of control;" that's definitely what does it for me, in addition to the fact that the man succumbs to his emotions and allows me to "hold him together." I don't get aroused by pain, I get aroused by sharing an emotional bond with someone and helping them through their own pain. I wouldn't enjoy inflicting pain myself at all. I think that for many men, crying in front of someone else is the most intimate and trusting thing they could do, possibly more intimate than sex. That's the part that I love.

Hope you enjoy the forum! Looking forward to reading your posts. 

March 28, 2012 8:36 pm  #8

Thanks carrotcake! Aww, that's really sweet that your boyfriend is so understanding of it. Ack, I love the phrase 'holding together'. <3 I agree that I take much more pleasure out of bonding with the person and soothing the pain than I do out of the actual pain itself. I would never enjoy inflicting pain either, only sharing in the pain. I think I probably wouldn't really enjoy it at all if I was the cause of the crying for any reason.

I'm really enjoying talking this out with you guys, I haven't really sought answers about my crying fetish as much as other kinks of mine. Considering that it's very related to most things that get me going (as most things that interest me are also based around loss of control and trust) I think it's gone much too long without exploration haha.

March 29, 2012 12:06 am  #9

Carrotcake, you just nailed it. Crying in front of someone is more intimate than sex (I guess more for men than women, who stereotypically cry more easily). That's probably one of the huge reasons I love it so much.

Also, I was just listening to a Dan Savage podcast, and he took a call from a foot fetishist who was worried it was unethical for him to give a foot rub to a girl without disclosing his sexual interest in it. Dan said that as long as the girl asked for it and was enjoying it, the foot dude could indulge both of them without any guilt. On the other hand, if he went around asking girls, "Hey, your feet look really sore, want a massage?" it would be creepy. I took comfort in that, because I never try to make anyone cry. I'm just very happy to comfort them if they do. Anyway, just a relevant tidbit.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

March 29, 2012 2:29 am  #10

yeah I have the same problem where I can be emotional and comforting with my girlfriend (if I had one ) but I can't do it with friends or family members

Board footera