You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2012 4:44 pm  #11

Re: Hi! I'm new here

Hi Reptongeek,
I am afraid I'm not a pretty crier. My face usually crumples and the bottom lip trembles slightly. I get the whole red, puffy eyes and blotchy face thing too! Sorry lol.
Occasionally if I try really hard I can keep my face looking relatively normal. I always wanted to be one of those woman who can still look beautiful while crying but sadly that's never going to be me!

I'm not someone who cries much at movies but anything with animals will always do it. The other day I watched War horse. Beautiful movie, but wow.. sure did produce some tears. I think I cried just as much at the happy bits as I did at the sad bits because it was so moving. When it was over I stood up to get some tissues and caught sight of myself in the mirror. What a total mess! Good job I was by myself. lol!

Crying does not indicate you are weak, since birth it has been a sign that you are alive.

June 17, 2012 6:48 pm  #12

@Fallingtears: Does your bottom lip curl or bulge when you are sobbing?

Ugly crying is pretty crying

June 17, 2012 9:12 pm  #13

Hi TorNorth, yeah I think so. I have to be crying pretty hard for that to happen but the bottom lip will go eventually. War horse did it for sure! :-)

Crying does not indicate you are weak, since birth it has been a sign that you are alive.

June 18, 2012 7:49 pm  #14

@Fallingtears: do you allow your tears to fall unchecked? how intense are your tears when you cry?

I've noticed that when my wife cries if she allows the tears to flow without wiping her eyes or face it takes longer for her eyes to go red. Found this to be true of my own crying as well.
I think it also depends on the intensity of the crying - if you are in floods of tears eyes will become red pretty quickly. Again using my wife as an example - when she is crying at a film her tears don't tend to be all that intense - sure tears fall down her cheeks but they are not falling one after the other. When she is crying like this she tends not to get the bottom lip curl thing - which is a rare occurance for her (sorry TorNorth) - but it does give her the movie cry look which I like. If she is very upset and crying hard then the bottom lip (along with her shoulders) will start to tremble - the tear volume is also greatly increased which will cause her eyes to go red. Her eye lashes tend to stick together in clumps which is kind of nice.

I don't have any scientific fact on this other than general observation but I tend to find women with brown eyes appear to get red eyes quicker than women with blue or green eyes (unless they are very pale in colour). My wife has blue eyes which go a kind of smokey blue when she is crying - like all the colours and shades mix together - yum!

To help prove of disprove this theory what colour are your eyes?

June 18, 2012 8:06 pm  #15

Thanks tearhunter. I've been meaning to ask about your wife's lip movements, but I never did out of embarrassment lol.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

June 18, 2012 9:47 pm  #16

TorNorth wrote:

Thanks tearhunter. I've been meaning to ask about your wife's lip movements, but I never did out of embarrassment lol.

No worries TorNorth, my wife is not a big lip curling person when she cries. She is definitely more of a tears girl !

Her voice does wobble almost everytime she cries so if she is trying to talk this will result in a bit of a change in mouth shape but not much of a trembling lip (tears fall but ranges from a single tear to perhaps 2-3 per minute).
As her crying intensity increases she will quietly sob - more like breathing in gasps. Shoulders might start to shake a bit. She generally can't speak at this point so not much lip trembling still (tears increase in volume and size)

In the 15 years I've known my wife I've only seen her lose it completely 3 or 4 times.

On at least one of these occasions her bottom lip did tremble along with loud sobbing (full face thing) - her shoulders where heaving up and down and tears where falling down her face in a constaint stream dripping off her nose and chin. This level of crying is obviously very painful and upsetting to see because it needs to be (and was) a major event. During this event I was crying almost as hard - definitely red eyes all round that day!

June 19, 2012 12:48 pm  #17

I do let my tears fall down my cheeks unchecked but I hate the feel of them on my chin or jaw so tend to wipe them away once they get there. It's rare for any of them to travel past that point.
I do get more tears depending on how hard I'm crying. If I only shed a couple of tears and recover pretty quickly then I can usually avoid the red eyes but I have to get a grip on myself very soon otherwise I will look a mess lol. It takes a lot for me to get to that point, though, and it doesn't happen very often.
My eyes are blue btw

June 19, 2012 7:48 pm  #18

Fallingtears wrote:

My eyes are blue btw

Well that's debunked that theory then!   

Does make me wonder are some people just more prone to red eyes than others - as you say the intensity and duration are definitely a factor, but my wife can cry for 10 minutes solid before her eyes start to get a bit red.
I fact did say intially her eyes actually look clearer, sparkling as if they have been cleaned !

Do you allow your tears to fall unchecked in front of other people? I can imagine this might differ for people close to you as opposed to friends, work colleagues etc.

This I find is one of the main differences between male and female crying - women allow tears to fall and be visible to others when they cry - generally if a guy cries the tears are wiped away immediately unless it is in front of a significant other!

Sometimes I think women are embarrased about the reason they are crying not the crying itself, whereas men are embarrased about the physical signs of crying and not the reason so much - a general observation I know.

June 20, 2012 4:01 am  #19

Fallingtears wrote:

Thanks once again to everyone for such a warm welcome!

BadCr it's interesting that you enjoy tears even if they do not come from real crying. I am slightly different to that because I only like it if the tears come from actual crying. Therefore, yawning, sneezing, staring contests etc don't work for me because I am all about the emotion that sits behind it.

of course it's not the same like when it comes from real strong feelings...

but fake tears are also not only a lot of easier to realize...
I already had experiences about this with another person while the last time I had a proper real life crying observation (full out bawling) was at least 8 years ago...

the advantages: - it's much more easier to reproduce
- It's possible to start and to stop whenever I want, a real breakdown comes one time in years and is almost perfectly uncontrollable...
- It's a way to induce tears without hurting someone
- I can imagine that many people will exercise fake tears rather as let someone watch them having a full breakdown thing about something tragic / painful...
- It can trigger real crying & sobbing when occuring in the right situation, so the fake thing even is a little *help*.  also the catharsis effects is almost the same when this happen...
- It's much more easier to enjoy and observe it
- if someone like excessive tears rate /speed it's the best way to get it,  at least I can't remember about many 'regular' cry session which was comparable in this way...

the disadvantages:
- you have to learn it
- It's possible to get eye damages when going too far, especially with just a few experience... but after years of practising at least my eyesight's still normal...
- it's forced
- it can go on destroy /disturb the natural urge to cry (without using fake helps)
- it's 'addictive' = you don't stop once you begin!  I can remember days in past when I couldn't stop doing the fake tear thing for hours...even not moving from the place where I was...
- you have to shed many tears for a long time to feel some 'release'...

Last edited by BadCr (June 20, 2012 4:02 am)

June 20, 2012 4:57 am  #20

tearhunter wrote:

Fallingtears wrote:

My eyes are blue btw

Well that's debunked that theory then!   

Does make me wonder are some people just more prone to red eyes than others - as you say the intensity and duration are definitely a factor, but my wife can cry for 10 minutes solid before her eyes start to get a bit red.
I fact did say intially her eyes actually look clearer, sparkling as if they have been cleaned !

This has a lot to do about the level of salanity in the tears but also about the general crying frequencies and probably some other factors...

I can always observe this when I don't shed tears for a very long time (more then >6 month), the eyes but also the face tend to get really red and swell like hell after the first 2-3 tears fall, while this effect decrease when the crying 's happening more often...

Another thing I could observe which is perhaps interesting:   

drinking more water =  more tears!       
drinking extremely much water =  flood of tears! (and also less eye redness again)

don't exactly know why but I have tried it and it works!

drinking 4 liters of water / day + eating few salt + crying all the time =  high tears rate and no eyes redness or puffiness, even after a X- hour hardcore cry spell...
drinking 1 liter of water / day + eating much salt + crying rarely =  more tearless crying (teardrops very salty) + red face/eyes...

Board footera