You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2012 12:49 pm  #1

Interesting report on male crying

Hi,
Apologies if this has already been circulated at some point.
This is a report that was done a few years ago and there are some interesting facts and figures in here and I found it a fascinating read.
Not sure how many of you would find this interesting but I thought I would share it. It is mainly discussing male crying and there were surveys conducted asking men why and how they cry and also who they are comfortable crying in front of.
The web address is below - not sure if this will work as a link, sorry. If you go to below address you can download the report from there. 

http://www.sirc.org/publik/crying_game.shtml

p.s. if this doesn't work as a link please can someone tell me how to do it? Not very techy! 

Crying does not indicate you are weak, since birth it has been a sign that you are alive.

June 15, 2012 12:50 pm  #2

Re: Interesting report on male crying

Ooh the link did work! Yey.   

Crying does not indicate you are weak, since birth it has been a sign that you are alive.

June 16, 2012 11:06 pm  #3

This was an excellent read!  Thanks so much for posting it!

June 17, 2012 3:53 pm  #4

Fantastic report!

June 17, 2012 4:31 pm  #5

Glad you enjoyed it 

June 18, 2012 7:31 pm  #6

I've seen this report before and found it to be fairly accurate report of male crying habits.

It says 30% of males have cried in the past month - this feels about right - would like to see it in terms of a frequency - don't think you can conclude from this that guys cry 0.3 times per month but that would also feel about right.
I've seen studies that seam to suggest guys cry 1 to 2 times per month and women between 5 to 7 times per month - both of which are too high in my opinion.

Another stat I agreed on was who guys cry in front of - I've no problem crying in front of my wife and a good female friend but male friends (nah)!

Enjoyed reading this again - thanks for posting.

June 19, 2012 2:33 am  #7

I honestly find those numbers strange.  I am sure I have been through many phases in my life where I have gone months and months without needing to cry, and I know guys who have gone years without crying and I don't think of them as exceptional either.  In any case, I thought the generalizations about the differences between men and women were interesting and made sense.  I guess if anything, the article made me more sympathetic towards guys because it always seems like girls must care more deeply about things in life than guys do because they are more prone to crying about them -- so it seems like, arrrgh, guys can be so damn detached and shallow -- but if I'm interpreting this article correctly, then guys might care just as much about something as girls do and its simply their biology that keeps their eyes dry during some of those emotions that make girls cry.  I guess knowing a guy is emotional is meaningful to me even if he doesn't cry, but I sure do prefer to see the wetness.  I guess it seems like "proof" of the depth of his emotion whether or not this is actually true (it's hard to shake that impression) and it makes the eyes shimmer very nicely as well.

June 19, 2012 8:47 pm  #8

Hi Woundedpuppy - do you mean the figures in the report or the higher figures I mentioned I'd seen before in other studies?

I would definitely agree that 1 to 2 times per month for a guy is too high. And yes perhaps 0.3 times per month, or 4 times per year is still on the high side - but perhaps not too far off.
I've had a fairly tough 12 months or so, thankfully most of this is now behind me and it was at the start of this 12 month period that things were a bit difficult.

On a count back over the last 12 months I've cried 8 times, or on average 0.67 times per month (I think I've remembered them all) but they have been clustered around particularly low points. For example, 3 of those 8 occurred in a single week and at the time of writing I've not cried since mid-march so about 3 months now.

As far as I know my wife has cried 17 times, or on average 1.42 times per month (she may have cried occasionally without telling me so it might be higher) but again it tends to be clustered into several crying events in a short space of time. My wife actually cried last week but before that it was about 2 months since her previous cry.

One key thing to note here is I've classed a crying event as a least the shedding of one tear. Even if that tear is wiped away immediately from the eye any not allowed to fall any distance down the persons cheek. 1 of my 8 falls into this category but because I know had I not rubbed my eye a tear would have fallen it counts as crying in this analysis - because I know I was.

Now if I count times where I've felt a surge of emotion which resulted in tears forming in my eyes but no tears leaving the eyes you could probably add another 5 or 6 onto the above total (not 100% sure on that figure but best guess) which would be 14 times a year, or an average of  1.17 times per month. I know my wife is particularly good at the tears in the eyes thing so she could easily double her total but I'm less able to guess accurate figures for her on this count. So, still short of the higher quoted crying frequency values, particularly my wifes crying.

You can argue that for a guy I've had a particularly emotional 12 month - and perhaps this is correct. I'm sure there are many guys out there who have not cried in years - in the past I've gone a couple of years without crying. But, equally there will be guys out there who have cried more than me. Also, I reckon guys who live on their own cry (and I mean real tears) but never tell anyone - I know, I've been one!

Sorry, becoming a long post but this statistical analysis of male and female crying really interests me and I would love to be able to quote hard facts and figures across various groups of people - but verifiable results are difficult to come by.

Can the folks here (male and female) try as best they can to give as accurate a figure as possible to the number of times they have cried (as least a tear) over the last 12 months and also as best you can a number of times on top of that where you have had tears in your eyes. I realise we have more females on this forum than males but it might make interesting reading - guys (and girls) please be honest! (oh, and please state if you are male or female - I think I know most of you but a couple I'm not 100% sure!)

If you can add any additional information (i.e. maximum length of time where you have not cried at all etc) or any views / comments on this please share your thoughts.

I'll stop rambling now, really could talk all night on this subject 

June 20, 2012 12:50 pm  #9

Wow it was really hard to try and remember how many times I have cried in the last year. I don't properly cry very often. I can distinctly remember crying on 3 occasions in the last year and may have cried a couple more times but not sure. I would say no more than 5 times in the last year.
Teary eyes, however, and getting the lump in the throat thing happen to me all the time! I'm always tearing up at something but I usually control it very quickly so it never becomes anything more than that. I would say I have gotten misty eyed at least 15 - 20 times over the last year.
The longest I have gone without crying is probably about 12 months. I can remember thinking to myself at the time "wow I haven't cried for a whole year!"

June 20, 2012 7:32 pm  #10

Thanks Fallingtears, I find your response interesting in several ways. First I've cried more than you it would appear in the last 12 months!   

Secondly it appears you may have forgotten events where you have been crying to a level where you have shed tears - most of my tearful experiences are still fresh in my mind. I wonder if this is because I am a guy that is not supposed to cry so when I do it has a greater impact - don't know really.

Also, you say you get the tears in the eyes thing far more often than flowing tears. It shoulds like you fight the urge to cry tears when you become emotional. If you allowed your emotions to take over would these teary eyed moment result in full crying and flowing tears or do you feel you naturally stop crying before tears appear?

For me if I'm in a 'safe place' I'll just let the tears go, for the times it's just been wet eyes I've probably only fought them back a couple of times because I was in a place where I did not want to cry. The other times the tears have subsided by themselves.

Looking forward to hearing more details for other forum members.

Board footera