You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2011 4:00 am  #1

Books with good crying scenes

There may have been a thread like this on the old forum, but obviously those replies are gone. Have you read any good fiction books with good crying scenes? I'm looking for something good to read, but it's always nice to have the added bonus of a good crying scene.

August 4, 2011 11:33 pm  #2

Re: Books with good crying scenes

Ah, hard to know what a "good" crying scene might mean. Crying scenes in books don't do much for me fetish-wise, though I'll appreciate the odd descriptions such as "her lips trembled" etc. Too many books I've read have crying scenes for me to remember.  Philip Pullman's "The Amber Spyglass" has long crying/comforting scenes between main male and female protagonist. I found those moments to be quite memorable, if not a bit melodramatic. I remember Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" to be full of tears from top to bottom.   

A few week's ago I finished Raymond E Feist's "Magician". I was reading through an incredibly emotional scene involving one of the characters dying, and it wasn't until the scene passed that I realized I was blowing my nose. I actually LOL'd when I realized it. I think this is the first time I got tearful while reading.

Anyway, if you want long, descriptive crying/comforting scenes then I'm guessing "romance" is the genre to go for. I normally avoid them. Wuthering Heights is one of the few pure love stories that I've read.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

August 7, 2011 10:06 pm  #3

The Sorrows of Young Werther, by Goethe, has crying on pretty much every page.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

January 1, 2014 11:57 pm  #4

Carrotcake, William Thackerey's Vanity Fair is so full of tears you just about have to swim through it.  Literature from that period of English history tends to be, I think.  Check out some of Dickens' writing and E-mail me what you think.  LOL  BTW, Happy and safe New Year to everyone on the forum!  I count all of you as my good friends.

Last edited by handkerchief (January 2, 2014 12:01 am)

January 2, 2014 1:05 am  #5

the odessy is full of crying, moving scenes too, if a bit dramatic.

a man of feeling has constant crying but its not used to good effect. its overkill, although well described.

Tears are the last gift of true love.

Board footera