You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2012 5:44 am  #1

Book crying scenes?

I know "50 Shades of Gray" was discussed, but which other fiction books that you've read had memorable crying scenes?

For me, the last chapter of the original "Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux is one of the best.  I keep waiting for someone to make a film adaptation which includes the scene from the last chapter, and so far it's never been done - and it's the best scene in the whole book!

You can find said scene online here: http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/opera/chapter26.html

It takes a few paragraphs to get going, but once it does....

"She let me kiss her... and she did not die!"

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

November 7, 2012 8:48 pm  #2

Re: Book crying scenes?

That link doesn't work for me.  Does it work for anyone else?

November 7, 2012 8:59 pm  #3

Anonymous

November 7, 2012 10:22 pm  #4

Woooooow, that's so intense! Why on earth would they leave that out of the movies?

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
-- Antoine de Saint Exupery, "The Little Prince"

November 8, 2012 1:23 am  #5

I have no idea.  But that scene is the reason I became Phantom-fixated.

Anonymous

November 8, 2012 1:39 am  #6

I have so, so many, because I read a lot, like hundreds of books a year, and the crying scenes always catch my attention.

Not sure about finding links on line , but my highest recommendation would probably be South of Broad. It's a great book (though long) and every character has a great crying scene at least once. Some day when I have loads of time maybe I'll make like a "top ten scenes" list with quotes or something.

November 10, 2012 2:11 pm  #7

This might be slightly weird, but my sister when she was young liked Sweet Valley books. There were loads of crying scenes in those

Security will run you down hard
And I will lead them on a merry chase

November 11, 2012 12:42 am  #8

Ok! Not making a Top Ten just yet because that requires a lot of time and effort, haha, but I'll start working my way through all the books I have a strong recollection of possessing awesome crying scenes.

WARNING: SPOILERS.

The first one's from Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. A male crying scene (sorry, promise to post some female ones too.) One of my favorite crying scenes of all time. It's about incest, though, so I'm really sorry if that bothers you! You can just pretend the characters are who you like, though.

Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the scene, all of which are from the perspective of the cryer, Lochie.

"No. I can't take this anymore. I can't, I can't. I'm not even going to get her out of my room before it's too late. My eyes pulsute with a rising ache. If I move, if I speak, if I so much as blink, I'm going to lose this battle."

"I try to dry my eyes on my shirtsleeve, but the tears keep coming and I can't understand why I am so utterly powerless to stop them."

Then, my favorite line of dialogue from the comforter, Maya, "Lochie, calm down. I just want to hold you, that's all. Just let me hold you."

"She is talking to me softly now, almost whispering, one arm wrapped tightly around me, the other stroking the back of my head, rocking me gently back and forth. I cling to her as the sobs rack my body with such force, I think I will never be able to stop."

There's a LOT more great lines in this scene (basically the whole thing tracks how Lochan is falling apart, and so when he finally does it's really gratifying, but I'm not sure what the rules are on the internet for typing up lines from books, so I'll leave it at these. Also, if the subject doesn't bother you, I highly recommend the book because it's a page-turner.

Promise to post others! (I have so many I could probably post one a day and not run out, ever, lol, because I'll keep reading more haha)

Last edited by PaperThings (November 11, 2012 12:42 am)

November 11, 2012 3:00 am  #9

Hm, I'll have to look that book up.  Keep on posting ideas, I'm always in the market for reading material!

Anonymous

November 11, 2012 4:53 am  #10

Thanks for the preview, Paperthings!

Board footera