You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2012 2:39 am  #1

Xmas movies with crying

Happy Holidays, folks!  I love Jimmy Stewart in the Xmas movie, "It's A Wonderful Life"... what an actor! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0BWUsAYyY

I think my fave emotional scenes are:

1:35:32 (the "show me the way" scene from the bar...)

2:01:21: (the "I want to live again" scene from the bridge (the crying sounds like an overdub or something, but love it anyway...)

0:47:47 (the telephone scene... looks like he's practically going to snap her head off when he shakes her, but the tension in this scene is so thick you could cut it with a knife...)

Of course, there are lots of other good scenes in that movie as well... a classic!!

Anyone got any other Xmas movie crying scenes they want to share?

December 28, 2012 3:47 am  #2

Re: Xmas movies with crying

The overdub on the "I want to live" may actually be just that.  But the fact it's in closeup is what's interesting.  When that scene was being filmed it was a medium shot.  Director Frank Capra didn't think the scene was all that great - but when he saw the daily rushes, he was so impressed with Stewart's acting that he enlarged every single frame - by hand, one at a time - of that scene so Stewart was in close up. 

Of course, I was lucky enough to see this movie the first time on a big screen in a theater, which made that scene even more impactful.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

December 29, 2012 2:27 am  #3

That movie is one of my favorites and always has been, but for some reason it wasn't until very recently that I registered the crying scenes.

Meet Me in St. Louis (another one of my favorites) has a lot of female crying.

December 29, 2012 11:59 am  #4

The infamous episode on the British soap Eastenders that no one would shut up about for literally years. Happens during Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r28xYmVHJiw

Ugly crying is pretty crying

Board footera