You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2013 6:39 pm  #1

Crying in front of other people.

I was reading something a few weeks ago about how people often cry during counselling sessions. This made me think about various aspects of how people would cry in a 1-2-1 situation with someone who is not a close family member or partner. Crying is a very personal and intimate act, but in this type of situation it's likely to occur privately with someone who has never seen you cry before, and it's a situation where you are unlikely to be able to hide your emotions from the other person. They may even be looking for it.

A few questions popped into my head which I thought I'd ask on the forum (I'll answer in a separate post) - I'm interested in both your own thoughts, and if you think you know your partners perspective their's as well - keen to get male and female views (acknowledging that most members on the forum are female - so if you can answer for your husband, boyfriend please do - and wife / girlfriend if more relevant).

Please answer in terms of a counselling type scenario - i.e. professional individual, 1-2-1, no relationship (friend or otherwise), but generally trusted and not a complete stranger (i.e. a few sessions or meetings have occurred) - I guess and Doctor or Teacher would be an equivalent. Also, please imagine that you are crying in this scenario - although let me know if you think this would never happen to you in real life.

1. Would you prefer to cry in front of some of the same sex or opposite sex? (Let me know if you are male or female)

2. Would you be embarrased about your crying, even though you feel your emotions are justified? Would you apologise for crying? Attempt to flee the situation?

3. Would you allow yourself to cry or would you fight to stop yourself as soon as possible?

4. How would you react to any tears or other crying characteristics (i.e. wobbly voice, bulging lip etc)?

5. How would you like the other person to react? (ignore your crying, offer a tissue, hold your hand, give you a comforting hug etc).

If your answers vary depending on a particular situation, scenario or intensity of crying please explain. I would be grateful if you could explain your answers as fully as possible - interested in your thoughts and views - thanks 

January 8, 2013 7:29 pm  #2

Re: Crying in front of other people.

Me (Male)

1. Without a doubt I would prefer to cry in front of a female. I have a general view that women understand crying far better than men and are far more accepting of it and tolerent of it. I would not be comfortable crying in front of another guy under any circumstances. I've cried in front of both a male and female Doctors in the past. I cried openly in front of the female Doctor. I front of the male Doctor I fought the urge to cry with all my energy - even though the situation warranted tears. He would have realised I was crying but I did not acknowledge this fact to him - I wiped tears directly from my eyes, I did not want the presence of tears on my face to be a constaint reminder that I was crying!

2. Generally I'm not embarrased to cry in front of a female, as long as it is a 1-2-1 situation. My crying is not a spectator sport and would not be comfortable in a group, even if it was all female. I would acknowledge the fact that I was crying and probably try and explain why. I would not leave the situation. It would be completely different in front of a guy - I would want the ground to swallow me up!

3. In front of a woman I would allow myself to cry - it would probably be doing a world of good. I would fight the tears in front of a male.

4. I am generally very tearful when I cry - I find it very difficult to control tears and more often than not they will flow thick and fast. Because of this when crying in front of someone I'm not embarrased to cry in front of I'll allow my tears to fall unchecked. Because I'm not embarrased crying in front of a woman they will tend to get the whole package. My voice will go wobbly (with a guy I would stop talking as part of the trying to regain control). Sobbing is very rare as is a bulging lip - but if they appeared I would allow them to be visible with a woman.

5. Not surprisingly I would not want a guy to make any reference to my crying at all - completely ignore please. With a woman, ok with general acknowledgement if its a few tears only, but if I'm very upset and the crying intensity is high a gentle hand on the back would be nice.

My Wife (Female)

1. As long as she feels the crying is justified my wife will openly cry in front of any professional person, male or female - she has done so on numerous occasions and is not really bother if its male or female.

2. My wife generally does not get embarrassed about her crying. Although she will not generally acknowledge the fact that she is crying or talk about it in anyway, even if it's completely obvious that she is crying - she will just talk through it. Because of this approach a lot of people have seen my wife cry over the years. Some have commented to me afterwards how openly she cries and the fact that tears have flowed unchecked, I've often wondered if they have a crying fetish! - but I've never asked.

3. She will let herself cry but she does not like it to go on to long or become too intense - mainly because it prevents her from communicating effectively and getting out the points she wants too. She gets more bothered about the emotional voice and light sobbing than her tears.

4. My wife rarely wipes her tears, they tend to flow unchecked in every crying scenario. She does get annoyed about her wobbly, shaky voice as it gets in the way of her talking. More so when it drops to a whisper. The one thing she hates about crying (which only occurs during intense crying) is her running nose. She will use a tissue to wipe her nose and leave tears running down her face.

5. I think she prefers that her crying is not acknowledged and is generally ignored. She does like a hug from me when she is crying but not from people she is not 'close' too.

January 8, 2013 8:39 pm  #3

1. I think I'd prefer to cry in front of women. It's better if the said women are strangers (I know that's weird). I'm a male.

2. Embarrassment towards crying in public is what holds me back from doing it in the first place. In fact, I haven't done it since childhood. However, if something is serious enough to make me cry, I probably won't care at that point.

3. I'd probably cry it out.

4. I probably won't react to anything at that point.

5. I'm pretty sure I would shy away or lash out at any attempt to comfort me. I'd prefer to be ignored.

Ugly crying is pretty crying

January 9, 2013 12:38 am  #4

Female

1. I'd prefer to cry in front of another woman, undoubtedly. Like you, tearhunter, I feel that women understand crying much better than men do. Many man, I think, would feel awkward about another person crying in front of them, which would make me feel awkward too.

2. I have cried in front of my female Director of Studies and not been particularly embarrassed but I cannot imagine finding crying in front of a male supervisor anything but excruciating. If I know the woman a little and she is reasonably sympathetic, I would not feel too embarrassed. I do tend to apologise for my crying, though.

3. I would probably allow myself to cry within reason; I would not like to have a full-on sobbing breakdown. If I have got to the point where I cannot stop myself from crying in the first place, I think I'd feel weird stopping immediately - as though the tears hadn't been genuine.

4. I would wipe tears away, but I would not stop talking to hide a wobbly voice.

5. Depending on how well I know the person, I would prefer some kind of contact - a hand on my shoulder, perhaps. In the situation you have described, with a professional person, I would not like to be hugged, as I would find that embarrassing. I would prefer to be offered tissues. A person ignoring my crying would make me feel awkward.

January 9, 2013 1:18 am  #5

OK, I'll do one for my hubby and then for me.  First, my hubby (these are just wild guesses... I'm not going to ask him!)

Hubby

1. He would probably much rather cry in front of a female professional.

2. He would probably be very embarrassed, and probably attempt to cut the conversation short if he couldn't keep himself together.  Not sure if he'd "apologize".  I think he'd rather not acknowledge it.

3. He would probably fight to stop himself as soon as possible.

4. He would probably wipe his tears and pause whenever his voice got wobbly.

5. I think he'd like the crying itself to be ignored, but I think sympathetic words in general would be appreciated (like "I'm sorry", etc.)  I don't think he'd want a hug or hand holding from any professional.

Me

My answers?  Well, since we're talking about a one-on-one counseling session, it's pretty easy...

1. I prefer crying in front of females.  I feel more self conscious in front of men, even professional ones.  The only exception is my hubby.  In fact, I will seek him out to cry in front of (as in hugging him for comfort while I tell him all about my lousy day, etc.!)

2. I would be alright with crying because that's what I'd be there to do -- to work through emotions.  I wouldn't apologize nor flee.

3. I would fight to a certain degree and give in to a certain degree.  I really don't like crying to the point of having to blow my nose or where I can't talk well (things that bother your wife as well!), so at the moment those things were just starting to happen, I would start to fight much harder than at the beginning.  But at the beginning, I purposely wouldn't fight too hard because I'd rather shed a few quick tears and be able to talk with a normal voice than fight (which might cause my lip to bulge more or make my voice more wobbly).  So, it's a bit of a dance trying to get the balance just right, but I guess that's what I'd be aiming for -- balance!

4. I would probably wipe my tears at chin or cheek level (not a big deal but just to keep things more neat and tidy, I guess, plus I don't like the feeling of the ones that reach my chin anyway, even when I'm alone).  I would continue to speak with a bit of a wobble in my voice (it's a counseling session after all and you're paying them good money, so might as well not waste time in silence!).  But of course, I'd take short pauses or deep breaths and try to time the words so that I sounded as steady as possible.  I guess if it got really intense, I'd just stop, try to calm down, and eventually try again.

5. I don't think I would want a hug from a counselor.  Nice words, maybe.  "That must be really hard for you," said in a sympathetic and understanding tone would be a nice way to acknowledge my state, as opposed to, "Do you need a tissue?", which would make me feel self-conscious, like I was being messy.

Last edited by woundedpuppy (January 9, 2013 1:27 am)

January 9, 2013 1:25 am  #6

Female

1. Would you prefer to cry in front of some of the same sex or opposite sex?  Same sex.  Although my real preference would be not to have any witnesses.

2. Would you be embarrased about your crying, even though you feel your emotions are justified? Would you apologise for crying? Attempt to flee the situation?  It would depend on the situation.  I would probably try to get to the ladies room before the breakdown hit.

3. Would you allow yourself to cry or would you fight to stop yourself as soon as possible?  If I'm alone, I'll let myself cry.  If in front of other people, I'll attempt to stop ASAP.

4. How would you react to any tears or other crying characteristics (i.e. wobbly voice, bulging lip etc)?   I let the tears flow unchecked.

5. How would you like the other person to react? (ignore your crying, offer a tissue, hold your hand, give you a comforting hug etc).  It would depend on who it is.  If it's someone I'm close to, offer a tissue and sympathy.  If it's someone I'm only an acquaintence with, just a tissue.  If a stranger, ignore it.  But again, I'd prefer to be alone and will do my best to seek solitude before I cry.

Last edited by caircair (January 9, 2013 1:25 am)

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

January 9, 2013 1:27 am  #7

I didn't know you had the lip bulge, WP :D

Last edited by TorNorth (January 9, 2013 1:27 am)

Ugly crying is pretty crying

January 9, 2013 1:48 am  #8

TorNorth wrote:

I didn't know you had the lip bulge, WP :D

Oh, I dunno, I didn't mean to get too technical or anything... I took it from Tearhunter's wording in his question, I think.  If there's those who have "the lip bulge" and those who "don't", I'd probably say I'm one of the don'ts, but on the other hand, I would have thought that everyone's mouth looks slightly different when they're crying to any serious degree, including mine.  Like slightly downturned corners of the mouth, longer chin?  Like, I don't honestly know, because I'm never in front of a mirror when I'm holding back tears.  It's just a guess from childhood memories that the more strongly I held back the tears, the less controlled (and uglier, in my estimation) the lower half of my face was.  That's all I'll swear to for now. ;)

Last edited by woundedpuppy (January 9, 2013 1:53 am)

January 9, 2013 12:49 pm  #9

Fermale

1. I don't think it matters that much if my reason for crying is serious. When my cat died I cried in front of other people, both men and women and even if they protested against it i was not a bit deterred from my expression of grief. On other hand at school i was horiffied to cry in front of other people, mostly my teachers( mostly women). If those people are stern and rough themselvesand even formal i would be very self-conscious about shedding tears and expressing emotions  so i would express grief and let the tears flow only if i'm surrounded by apparently undertanding folk, be they men or women. Sometimes i'm even embarassed to cry in front of my mum because she also treated my vulnerability as a matter of immaturity and something quite dark and messy. Those are the times when  she disagrees with my atitude ( at other times when she's more undersanding i feel better.)

2. I have just said that on some occasions i'll be quite embarassed although, strangely enough, in front of my parents or relatives moreover. When i'm with strangers i'm not that concerned if my emotions are justified. I would not apologize for crying because usually i don't cry unless i'm very troubled or sad and also i would not flee but if my situation allows it i'd better cry all by myself for as long as i need.

3. If my voice trembles when i talk and i feel a lump in my throat sooner or later i'll cry, no matter how hard i'll try not to. It's a point from where I cannot stop myself to cry and it gets pretty obvious i need to release my emotions. Sometimes i do succeed in repressing my crying but later on i'll get a head ache and stomach troubles or other neurovegetative disorders.

4. When i get that lump in my throat and my voice is changed, i feel tension in my eyes and tears start to well up. If i make an effort to stop myself my head starts to ache and my hands shake. That means nervous breakdown or crying profusely for many hours at a time. But usually i make myself cry at a reasonable pace by getting nervous, yelling, shouting and if i'm just sad and worried i shed a few tears at a time and it's neat. Usually i get a flushed face, running nose, injected eyes, raspy voice.
It's hard to conceal those signs because my face and my eyes change colour when i'm about to cry and the tension in my voice is very marked..I don't wipe my tears immediately because i cry abundandly and it's no use to smear them on my cheeks, i also wear glasses and when i cry they get smeared too since on many occasions i forget to put them down.

5. When i'm with my close friends or family i expect sympathy when i'm sad and crying, kind words are the best choice. When i'm with strangers i'll prefer being ignored but if the other person speaks more gently i appreciate very much. I certainly don't appreciate a loud  aknowledgement of my crying, nor comforting hugs or pityful remarks.

I want to mention that i have never cried in front of officials or professional doctors, my psychologist, my teachers. I didn't have a more intimate bond with them as to share them my emotions. Usually i'm very good at communicating and keeping a detached outlook though i'm pretty troubled inside.

Last edited by psychic_girl (January 9, 2013 1:41 pm)

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

January 10, 2013 9:18 pm  #10

Thanks all, interestingly from your comments it appears both male and female criers prefer to cry in front of a female professional. Most of you would stay put and not flee the scene and would let yourself cry (a bit at least).

I asked a female question 1 yesterday and she also said she would prefer to cry in front of another female - when I asked why she said that the woman she was crying in front of has probably cried herself over something in the last few days, weeks whereas a guy may not have cried in years! A women knows that sometimes you just need to cry where crying makes a guy uncomfortable and confused!

All I wanted to say was "not this one" - but didn't

Feel free to add more comments and for those who have not answered yet feel free to respond - no real time limit, just feeding my curiousity   

Board footera