You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2013 2:02 pm  #21

Re: Crying in front of other people.

1. Would you prefer to cry in front of some of the same sex or opposite sex?

I would actually prefer to cry in front of a male professional counselor or physician. In my experience, male physicians are far, far more gentle and sympathetic, especially when I'm talking about female problems. This may be because they have never experienced these problems themselves, and thus can't make any assumptions and have to take me at my word.

2. Would you be embarrased about your crying, even though you feel your emotions are justified? Would you apologise for crying? Attempt to flee the situation?

I don't get embarassed; professionals should know that this sort of thing happens and I assume that they are prepared for it. However, I usually apologize when I feel the tears coming, just to be polite. I don't flee.

3. Would you allow yourself to cry or would you fight to stop yourself as soon as possible?

It's a safe place, so I allow myself to cry.

4. How would you react to any tears or other crying characteristics (i.e. wobbly voice, bulging lip etc)?

I usually blot the tears from my eyes and wipe my nose with a tissue. I'm quite used to talking while crying, so the wobbly voice is not a big deal.

5. How would you like the other person to react? (ignore your crying, offer a tissue, hold your hand, give you a comforting hug etc).

I can remember one time when I was crying because I was terrified that I may be horribly sick. I was in full panic sobbing. In this case, my doctor just sat down, looked me in the eye, and started to explain what was going on. Turned out I had nothing to worry about. You know when you've found a good doctor when you don't feel embarassed, you don't feel the need to apologize, and you don't want to flee. I want the other person to ignore the crying and continue to do his job. I've never actually seen a counselor, but I imagine my expectations for him would be the same. Continue to talk to me as if I were not crying.

October 20, 2013 8:59 pm  #22

Re: Crying in front of other people.

I answer for my husband first, maybe I get the courage to write about me later. I know my husband since quite a long time and can assess him quite good.

1. definitely opposite sex, which means female

2. He would be very much embarrased and I guess he would just leave the room without saying a word. No apology because this delayes the disappearance.

3. He wouldn't even start to cry.

4. He stayes stoic, no facial movement, no talking, fleeing the situation, so nobody realizes that he is on the verge of tears.
If his counterpart is interested in his actions, actually he knows, because usually you don't leave a situation like this. You could guess that he is enraged, but if you are honest you realize quite quickly if somebody wants to cry in front of you or not. Even rage often goes together with tears.

5. No reaction, ignorance

Board footera