You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 3:04 am  #1

Doesn't this look fake ?

Sean penn in many oh his movies is dry crying.. i can't figure out if it's fake or dry crying can apply or is possible in this case, i know it's acting ..but how good an actor can be as to overdramatize and get an Oscar for it.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQyYa3DBhNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGBaRk7Fxdo

This one is from an interview    http://www.gossipcop.com/sean-penn-today-show-video-crying-haiti-may-2012/

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

April 18, 2013 11:03 pm  #2

Re: Doesn't this look fake ?

So what do you think? is it fake crying or not?

''I like crying. And now I not only wanna cry and show my crying to other people, I wanna just split myself down the middle and open my guts and just throw everything out!''
Woody Harrelson

April 19, 2013 12:36 am  #3

Technically, I'd have to say ALL acted crying is fake crying, by the very nature of its being "acted".  That said, he goes through the motions well but I, personally, have a hard time buying into his emotion.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

April 19, 2013 2:33 am  #4

Some actors thnk about a sad  personal experience and cry genuinly. I mean you can even tell their emotions are raw and genuine and others sink so well into their character that identify perfecly with what's going on inside of him. It's an act of course but the purity of emotions is there as if it's for real. I think this is not the case here since Sean PENN FAKES his part as he does in most movies..

Woody Harrelson

April 19, 2013 3:02 am  #5

OK, but in that case since the emotion is real, they aren't faking.  I guess what I mean is, if there is real emotion behind it - even secondhand emotion dredged up from the past - it still counts as "real".  When they are clearly going through the motions, it's fake.

"We have our stalking memories, and they will demand their rightful tears."
Anonymous

April 25, 2013 3:33 pm  #6

I do find that he looks a bit fake.  I'm not actually stating that he is faking (especially since I don't know his acting process and I bet some people look fake even when they're being real and just have the misfortune of looking that way), but it doesn't do much for me personally because the way this type of crying looks, I can't find evidence of a lack of control.  It's when I can clearly see a lack of control over the actor's body or voice that I call it "real crying" in acting.  But that's just my definition. 

I do see the real crying in the interview just as his voice starts to change and his face starts to change, but it's easier to tell in an interview, I suppose.

*edit* I watched these clips a while back when I didn't have time to reply.  Just watched again and I guess I can retract my statement somewhat, but it's definitely subtle compared to some other actors' styles of crying and I definitely prefer wet crying (tears) over dry crying... these scenes are frustratingly dry and his face is tipped down too, so you would think gravity would take any tears that would gather... that's why it seems more fakish... plus cortorting one's face and voice very dramatically to look like you're crying is relatively easy, I think... it's the smaller facial and vocal changes that are more difficult to fake... and I don't see nearly enough of that in these scenes... they seem to be all or nothing).

Last edited by woundedpuppy (April 25, 2013 4:35 pm)

Board footera